1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Bootable ISO

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ant1981, 7 Jan 2012.

1. Ant1981

Ant1981 Minimodder

Right, I need help making a bootable ISO.

Must be something I'm doing wrong.

I bought Norton Ghost from the Norton download website. Apparently it's an ISO that you burn to disc and the PC should boot from it.

It doesn't, any ideas?

2. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

Did you burn the iso by burning the file to a disk or did you burn it as an iso?

3. Ant1981

Ant1981 Minimodder

I burnt it as an ISO.

Is there a difference between an ISO and an image? Does an ISO have any other files with it?

I might be a bit thick at times.....

Last edited: 7 Jan 2012
  4. Ant1981

Ant1981 Minimodder

Sorted, it was me being thick.

I raw a winwar archive file and unzipped that and added the lot to disc.

Certain files appear as a winrar file when they are not. THAT is the ISO and I should have just added that.

5. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

I'm guessing that you just copied the iso to the disk? If so - that won't work. An iso is an image of a disk, so you need to use an iso burner to burn it to the disk. Windows 7 has a built in one - just right click on the iso and it should be there in the menu somewhere. Other versions of Windows need some extra software - easy enough to find on Google. Linux and the like have had iso burners for years - same access and Win7.

EDIT: Damned ninja!
    Just copying across the files won't keep the bootable 'tags' that exist inside an iso - so you will get the files but it will not boot.