1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Recommend a car insurer

Discussion in 'General' started by Modsbywoz, 17 Feb 2015.

1. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Looking for a car insurer that doesn't outsource all aspects of actually being an insurer and if I had a claim I wouldn't have to speak to about 20 different people.

Anyone had any good experiences with any perticular insurers? Bad experiences?

Cheers

2. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

I found Aviva to be good, had one claim which was 100% the other guys fault and they sorted everything out super fast, and didn't even ask me for my excess, claiming it directly from the other third party... However they're prices spiralled after being with them for 8 years and they only offer great prices to new customers. So I've moved to Tesco but can't comment on their customer service as not had any issues.

Shame, as always liked Aviva.

3. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

Best insurer I've had is Admiral who have all their customer service based in Cardiff I think. Unfortunately they won't insure modified cars so I'm on adrian flux now. I've found their support not quite as good.

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I would avoid Kwik Fit, underwritten by Aviva who outsource their calls to a 3rd party company (when out of hours - basically when you get home from work to call them) who can't directly access your account, then if you need to claim back your excess you are onto yet another firm Ageas Law none of whom seem willing to speak to each other or take ownership.

And trying to get Kwik Fit to speak with the repair agent was nigh on impossible, which was odd as it was their appointed repair agent.

Heard good things about Tesco for customer service, not directly so cant fully comment.

5. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

I'd recommend NFU Mutual but unless you are over 25 they are expensive. They have been great with everything though.

But what may help is that which magazine has the following ranking

1. Nationwide
    2. NFU
    3. Age UK
    4. John Lewis

That is based on customer feedback and which's own score and experience. I tend to find they are pretty spot on with most things, so would say thats going to be a decent start for you

6. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Adrian Flux.

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

LV is one of the best I've had, Had my car written off got a courtesy car straight away and was paid out within a week and when it came to re insuring there was no extra loading due to the accident, pretty cheap as well

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Admiral. Entirely UK and in house. Been good for me!

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Having just dealt with Tesco, I was pleasantly surprised by how helpful and responsive they were. Received a letter from them acknowledging the claim within 24 hours of contacting them (called them at about 2pm on the day of my better half having the accident, had their letter in my hand by midday the next day). Also had the garage in touch within 24 hours and a cheque for two replacement child car seats issued within a day of providing proofs of purchase.

I've been very impressed with their customer service - quick, courteous and no mucking about involved. I'd certainly recommend them based on my experience.

Only thing to see now is how much the renewal premium is - we'll find out in a few months. :worried:

10. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Admiral are decent. I've heard good things about LV from my family too.

11. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Been with Admiral for several years now on a multi-car policy, been great, although we've never had to claim.

Price has always come down every year, even with me being a young driver.

This year, renewal came, and was very expensive, called them up, and because we'd been a loyal customer the overall reduction was ~60%.

Grandparents are with LV, and won't hear a word against them and that they are better than every other insurer, :D

12. Pieface

Pieface Modder

With 1st Central at the moment as they were the cheapest. But not had any experience with their customer service.

13. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Gone with LV=. Few people saying they're good and handle things quickly which is what i'm looking for and they come up at a fair price too.

Cheers guys.

I won't say anything but i'll be steering clear of Hastings from now on.

14. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'm with Chaucer. I've not had to claim from them but they are nice and cheap for me (a shade over £100 a year fully comp) and looking at the TrustPilot reviews it seems that they have a happy customer base :thumb:

I've heard generally good things about LV too so hopefully you won't be disappointed.