1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Starcraft 2 USB mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by L4nce0, 12 Aug 2010.

1. L4nce0

L4nce0 Hmm what was that breaking sound..

I'm trying to figure out how to mod my SC2 usb. 2 gbs is useless. I have been using a 8+ gb for almost 3 years... Anyways I already have the shell off. They have an .. annoying system for the LEDs. Two prongs are mounted to the circuit boat to complete the circuit. That's a minor issue, but I'm more concerned with finding chips that will atleast fit in the odd form factors. Any ideas on where I can get the parts? I'd like to toss in a 16+ gb

Better yet, lets put it this way. 2 gbs to support my computer with 6000 gbs. Thats 0.03%... Granted 0.3% isn't that awesome on paper... but atleast it is usable! This thumbdrive is too cool to be useless.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2010
  2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

3. joavery

joavery Huh. So it CAN burn...

Lance.

I too live in Fort Collins.

Every part of me wants to come over, beat you with your SC2 Collector's Edition Box, and take that USB Key from you.

The point of the Key isn't that it's only 2GB, its that it comes preloaded with SC1 + Brood War.

Hell. I'll give you three 16GB USB Keys for that Collector's Edition I missed out on by not preordering early enough.

4. L4nce0

lol yeah well I stalked amazon and preordered the day they let me. Trust me... I'm a bigger starcraft fan. I would sell blood and buy it for 200 on ebay if I didn't preorder. I'll admit the wings of liberty novel wasn't half bad, but the older ones are better. Some of the commics are also awesome.

Yeah but I own.. like 4 copies of SC original!

Anyways, lets stick to the topic ;) not how jealous you are of my collectors. I'm a zelot for starcraft.

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

So.. Umm.. What actually do you want to do? Change the memory chips from a thumb drive to larger ones to make the overalla capacity higher?

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Just use it as-is, or if you absolutely need to tinker with it, just glue a physically smaller, but higher capacity drive inside it.

Or maybe I just misunderstood everything? Please enlighten me. Photo maybe?

6. L4nce0

No that is the plan. I just cannot find a supplier of nakes USB drives. It would be a guess unless I can see it before I bust open the case.

7. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

First of all: learn the difference between Gb and GB. The former is gigabit, the latter is gigabyte.

And while you are at it: Try to think through your post before writing. As it is now it's incredibly difficult to understand what you are trying to say.

Oh, and pictures will help...

8. joavery

To be fair, that's a convention that has only come out in the last 10 years. Us older folks are used to the days of using kb for Kilobytes (as who the piss ever cared about a kilobit)

9. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Just because something is "new" (Let's be honest here. 10 years in this industry is a pretty long time) doesn't mean it's to be ignored.

10. joavery

No, but lets be honest here, you were nitpicking. Did you *really* think he was talking about a 2 gigabit USB key?

Anyways, this has been derailed enough.

If you're bent on marring your key Lance, I imagine it can be cracked in half and replaced with a small PNY key, I have a 16 and its pretty damn small, though I'm not sure how small your 2GB is.

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Joavery calm down, Smilodon is right.

Your new here and it would be wise to respect member's that have been here longer than you.

12. joavery

Perhaps - but it's hard to take someone seriously who's forum title is "The Antagonist"

13. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

:hehe:

It IS kind of fitting, don't you think? ;)

But you are right about the derailment. I was just trying to offer some constructive criticism, that's all. :)

14. joavery

Indeed, and no harm meant, ah the internet!

Lance - I looked a bit more into this issue - found some pics of the USB key online. There's just no way that's going to happen. The thing is far too slim. Most USB keys are built just a bit fatter than that. Even if you manage to crack it in half down the seams, it's never going to go back perfectly unless you do some superb sanding and gluing.

I admire the idea, however at this point I think your best bet is to measure the dimensions of your key and compare it to these to see whether its worth buying one at the risk of it not fitting.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820191259
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820154019 - This one looks like it might work best, hardest to open, but smallest.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171396
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820191283
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211475

15. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

this one should be more than small enough: http://www.transcendusa.com/Products/ModDetail.asp?ModNo=181&LangNo=0&Func1No=1&Func2No=76

It's only 8GB, though.

I have seen them even smaller (And better capacity), but I can't remember who made them.

edit: a cheap 16GB one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.42831

edit2: Actually, Dealextreme have an entire category for stuff like this. Even branded stuff: http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.308

Just look through and find something that have about the same or smaller outer dimensions than the original thing.

16. L4nce0

ah your right I'm sorry I didn't post the pictures. The part that I'm worried about is the length, and the internal shape. I should have said that sorry. Actually as it has the prong power clips, it's very very thick and roomy. The Width is the trouble, the length seems fine.

Yeah.. I "technically" know the differences between GB and Gb, being a software engineering guy.. Though your right I should be more careful, that's how they messed up the mars rover after all. I apologize now, because you will have many many semantic corrections if you read me enough ;)

Hmm some of these may actually work..
    I'll get some photos and start a work log.

Oh where there is a will, there is a way. Worse case I just dremel out all the screw mounts, and glue it back together. I tried contacting the manufacturer, but they don't even have a email, just a phone number. Extremely unlikely a Chinese company would even talk to me for anything under 1000 units.

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Calm down children. No need to get handbags at dawn. :p

18. L4nce0

Okay so looking at it again, we don't have as much room as I thought...
    [​IMG]
    The usb is held up with the plastic, as the USB is extended the prongs hit the gold connectors and power the lights.

19. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

This thread makes me :waah:

20. L4nce0

.... uhm okay? No offense but that was random and doesn't add to the conversation...

Anyways I'm waiting on my new Calipers to come in for the measurements.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2010
Tags: