1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards X58 Reviews

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shaile, 26 Nov 2008.

1. shaile

shaile Go BIG or GO HOME

Am I the only one out there waiting to start seeing X58 motherboard reviews here on Bit-Tech? I absolutely love their in-depth analysis and base a lot of my decisions on their expert opinions. I am currently waiting to see what kind of performance improvements are to be had on the RIIE over the P6T Deluxe before making a purchase, unless of course something else entirely offers more in the way of performance and overclocking.... Is it just me or did Christmas come a little early?

2. Tim S

Tim S OG

They're definitely coming, but it can take us a few weeks to get through a board in a thorough manner... especially if it isn't playing nice (and we've had a few 'not playing nice' moments so far)! :)

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

RIIE? We've not got one of those yet sorry.

I've got THREE on the go at once but I've been hitting problems left, right and centre and I've killed/bricked three boards already, so things have gone a little slow :p

They are all booked in the calender, with more in the post so don't worry ;)

4. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

Any troubles with the P6T Deluxe?
    I'm waiting for review of release version of the ECS X58B-A which looks to be the sweetspot depending is they get the BIOS sorted.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

None what-so-ever.

Uhh, yea, I'll get back to you on that one :worried:

6. shaile

shaile Go BIG or GO HOME

I might want to consider the P6T Deluxe a little more seriously then....

7. Denis_iii

seems the way to go, hopefully they release same board but with no SAS and only 2 graphics slots

8. Denis_iii

How about now? Is ECS krud or no sample? Gigabyte UD sample? The one with the inbuilt dolby audio...

9. GigaMan

GigaMan GIGABYTE UK

Would you guys consider a X58 with 2x PCI-E?
    And would it have to support SLI and CrossFire!

Last edited: 27 Nov 2008
  10. Tim S

Tim S OG

We've got boards in-house from Asus, MSI, ECS and Intel at the moment. I think Rich was waiting for the Gigabyte X58-DS4 as opposed to the X58-Extreme/DQ6 which is coming a little later afaik - GigaMan should be able to confirm that. :)

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Nov 2008
  11. Denis_iii

Just what I'm after. SLI support a bonus.

12. shaile

shaile Go BIG or GO HOME

Richard, excellent review of the P6T, however it left me wondering about the frame rate differences between the 280 SLI and the 4870 CF. Why was the 4870 X2 not used instead of 2 4870's, or would this have even made a difference? I was originally looking at getting a single 4870 X2 to start with the 920 on whatever board got the best review. But seeing the 280's in SLI put up almost 16 more fps in Crysis, 47 in Far Cry 2, and 10 in L4D have ,me strongly reconsidering my stance. Even the single 280 outperformed the CF setup. I'm starting to see that Intel SSD coming into my price range by going with a single 280 to start with instead of a 4870 X2...

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

We used two 4870 1GB graphics cards in CrossFire because we were testing the board's performance with CrossFire enabled, not a single 4870 X2 (which does all of the CrossFire jiggery-pokery on the card itself, meaning there'd be little/no difference). We were going to use dual 4870 X2s, but the performance was rubbish on both boards so we decided to make things simpler and save 4870 X2 CrossFireX performance for another article that I'm working on.

14. shaile

shaile Go BIG or GO HOME

Thanks Tim!.... I am guessing then in your article you will be diving into not only CFX, but also just a single 4870 X2 card versus the lot on X58 boards?...That will pretty much be the deciding factor for me.

Last edited: 2 Dec 2008
  15. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'm working on a bunch of single cards, plus some multi-card tests as well. :)

16. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

Are the new CPU and motherboard worth it? I heard that the i7 isn't too great for gaming is this true? :duh:

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

18. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Same execution core as Core 2, just a wider design. Unless you're massively multitasking it's not an upgrade we'd recommend.

20. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Groovy. I just wish the price of the Q9450/e8400 would plummit, then I'd be a happy camper.