1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Far Cry 2 has cropped widescreen

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

they can do it right for consoles... why not pc???

3. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

consoles work on TV that are 16:9

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Oh not this again. Stop whining about nothing.

5. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

its not really nothing

the point about having a widescreen is to see that extra inch either side not to have the top and bottom removed. The Dev team know this so there is no excuse however this will be fixed i bet in patch .1

6. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

In bioshock it was a concious design decision as they had set up the viewing angle for 16:9 and didn't want to spoil the cinematic effect or whatever by people being able to look further afield. It was just people didn't like that and wanted the full screen.

It's not really a big issue though.

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

"Nothing" and "not really a big issue"... hm...

If you spent good money on a high-end widescreen or particularly a TripleHead setup, would you really want to be playing Far Cry 2 with a vertical FOV that makes the game look like you're viewing it through a very narrow horizontal slit? Yes? No? Because when using TripleHead that is exactly what happens.

There is a reason why 'widescreen' is referred to as 'widescreen' rather than 'shortscreen' or referring to 4:3 monitors as 'tallscreens'. But those people who don't understand this, don't appear to want to understand this. So it's just another version of the ATi/nVidia or AMD/Intel or Piracy/Anti-piracy flam... um... debate.

As for effecting me... nope, it won't. It would if I bought the game, but as much as I want it, I'm standing firm to my decision to not support DRM employed in this fashion.

8. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Don't you mean vertical slit? And when buying a widescreen aren't you buying a narrow vertical slit compared with the horizontal view?

9. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

That's a pretty big chunk of screen real-estate to lose going by the pictures, if I'm reading it right it also shrinks the text a few font sizes because it assumes you have a much bigger screen ? Given thats not something they can tell at all thats kind of annoying too.

(Edit add) It's a horizontal split because the top and bottom are chopped off and the rest stretched to fit however wide the screen is. Especially bad with triple-head-2-go where you have 3 standard monitors side-by-side and the same height you would have otherwise, you just have 3x the width - this daft sheme would chop off some of the top and bottom and stretch the middle bit of the screen up and down. If I'm understanding it right it won't even give you any extra width, just stretch the same ordinary width over three monitors with the reduced height 0_0

When I bought my widescreen I was really looking at a choice between sticking with 1280*1024 or going up to 1680*1050 since any bigger a standard monitor would have cost a lot more, so I gained a little tiny bit of height and a good chunk of width, using this scheme i end up with no extra width of view (just stretched over more space) and less height than the 1280*1024, thus feeling like looking through a letterbox.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2008
  10. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

theres a ForceWidescreen="0" option in the config file, dunno if that helps

11. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

From the screenshots in the Surround Gaming section of WSGF, that's exactly what happens.

Half-Life 2 could get widescreen aspect ratio support correct... why can't newer games? :(

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

My understanding is that that only forces a 10 second test.

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I think I'll decide what I think of this when I play the game..

14. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

the article states that it'll crop the top and bottom off a 16:9 display, but what about 16:10 am i missing something? will it only affect those with 16:9 monitors?

15. Xir

Xir Modder

This "chopping off" is useful only for multiplayer games, as every player has the same viewing angle regardless of monitor size. (left right, not up down)

Foir a single player game it's rubbish

16. Azmat

Azmat What's a Dremel?

"Chopping off" is not usefull, its useless. I'd rather have the battlefield solution of stretching the screen to the left & right. Or simply get black bars. Then you're even.
    Either way, this solution of Ubisoft means one thing to me: deal breaker. Come on, it's not like not many people have widescreens these days...

17. Valver

Valver I’m an AquaTuning product tester

It's not whining over "nothing", its a serious screw up. Its also likely done wrongly on the console versions too.

There shouldn't even be a discussion about this. It's just not correct! Quite how Jamie and Dreaming can condone it is beyond me!

Vert- has the nasty side effect of altering the relative position of your eyes in game, making everything appear zoomed in and nearer. It often makes gamers feel detatched from their in game character and can lead to motion sickness (because your point of view isnt based where your characters head is!). All widescreen games should be Hor+

And the BioShock "artistic" answer was complete BS. They screwed up and tried to gloss over the mistake with that answer. Then someone hacked in a fix on the PC, everyone saw how it should've looked and thought it looked much nicer and eventually the BioShock guys were forced to release a proper fix.

18. Nictron

Nictron Minimodder

So to experience the game fully I must rather play it @ 1600x1200 on my 26" Samsung?

Luckily the Samsung monitor has a build in scaler that displays the image in the correct scaling ratio :)

19. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Shame.. I'll be holding out on this game until they have a patch.

20. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

Sounds like we have the same LCD, I love it!

Tags: Add Tags