1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Quad-Core AMD Opteron OR Intel® Core 2 Quad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by songzila, 3 Jun 2010.

1. songzila

songzila What's a Dremel?

Which one should i buy out of these 2. I know intel has a good repute but AMD's new processors line is also capturing market. SO guys Help.. which one?

2. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

I personally prefer the Intels, as they have been proven to be quick and overclockable and reliable. I think the AMDs are cheaper but you get more bang per buck with the intel. Obviously this is a very generic statement as you have not mentioned any specific CPU. Do you have any specific CPUs in mind?

3. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

The intel's score much better in benchmarks. They are also said to be more reliable although personally I don't see the difference.

Your best bet is to just get the one that is the cheapest :) I personally find AMD's better for overclocking.

4. chimeradog

chimeradog What's a Dremel?

if u opt for intel...get the core i5 or i7 series as socket 775 is gonna phase out soon
    if u go for amd get the phenom 2 x4 or the phenom 2 x6 as socket am3 support the new 6core
    and the phenom 2 x6 is cheap also

5. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

I don't understand why you are chosing between the Operton which is a server grade product versus a consumer level Core 2 Quad. Its like apples and oranges.

If you are just doing desktop work and games, the Core 2 Quad is probably cheaper and right for you.

If you are doing server stuff, the Operton has more instruction sets but I would imagine that is more expensive and requires a Socket F motherboard.

6. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

phenom II's perform similar to core2quads
    AthlonII x4 620 is similar to the Q6600

as for server grade stuff i havent a clue

7. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

The AMd equivelant you should be looking at is the Phenom II performs roughly the same as the core 2 quads but at least the socket it uses isn't dead. For the intel route look for the i5 series 55 series boards are getting cheaper.

8. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

For myself i would take the Core i5 750 path, you can pick a good board for less than £90 and ram is around £100 for 4 gig with good cooler in the mix around £350 and will out perform an AMD system

9. javaman

While building new this would be fine (assuming tho that he needs it since hes looking at optron and quad) The best course tho is totally dependant on what he already has. If he has an LGA775 board alread core2Quad is the way to go. Budget effects things too. If he wants server then its a completely new ball game based on use etc and if he needs cores or clockspeed it depends on the application. He could simple be looking for an epeen ie. "I have a quad without knowing much about them". (My GF's dad wanted a quad core in the end I went with the athlon 620 since its fast enough for his needs and also cheap and gave him the epeen he wanted)

10. songzila

Thanks guys for all the replys and suggestions.. If i forgot to instate ,, i want the CPU for my server. core i5 or i7 is good option no doubt but its expensive for my budget. I have ASUS P5Q SE - iP45 with Socket LGA775. So according to Javaman it is best if i go for core2Quad .

11. javaman

What sort of server? If its just a file server then an atom is perfectly fine. If you media server handling tv recording, a fast dual core will do ok. If rendering then you have to decide if you should splash out between cores or clockspeed (or both). The last option is very very open.

since your using LGA775 I would first look at Q9xxx then look towards i5 750. If you need more cpu power I would go for LGA1366 after the 750 rather than going for for the i7 860 on LGA1156 since tri-channel memory will be an advantage on a render server. I also wouldn't discount ECC memory and proper workstation grade equipment for reliability and again dependant on usage

12. songzila

Thanks javaman for all the usefull information, i have ended up getting intel c2q .