1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Vista requires 64-bit drivers to be signed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 2 Feb 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. mattan

mattan What's a Dremel?

But what if you would like to test some beta driver?
    Or third-part driver like Omega or such?
    Will it be the end of those?

3. fev

fev Industry Fallout

it'd be silly for me to have a 64bit processor and not use vista 64bit... hopefully it'll be better than the shoddy attempt they called xp pro 64bit eh?

4. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

From reading the news post I would say no, it just means that some company/person is going to need to sign them so that we all know who wrote it.

It may not mean much atm, but this is certainly a step in the right direction.

5. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

This seems like an attempt to bypass low level anti-DRM stuff. Think about it for a second... Daemon Tools and the like aren't ever going to get signed by M$, primarily due to cost. So you run x64 vista and want to play your game images because your DVD-ROM is too darn loud? too bad, so sad.

God I hope someone registry hacks around this, and that really seems like all it should take.

6. vecctor

vecctor What's a Dremel?

This is the first thing I thought of when I read this. Digital signitures require that you set up an account with a "signiture authority" like VeriSign. This costs money. Its not a huge deal if you are a big company, but anything small or free isn't going to want to fork it over out of their own pocket. Say goodbye to indepdent development if there is no way around this.

7. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

It's really not going to take long before someone bypasses this at all. I'm going to wait until Vista has been thouroughly hacked and cracked before buying, I only foresee waiting a few months. BTW, doesn't anyone else think longhorn would have been a better final name?

8. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

LOL Thats the funniest sht that I've ever heard, yeah DVD-ROMs too darn loud LOL LOL
    Yeah I'm sure thats all our reasons for using Daemon Tool, your priceless. Hey I need Daemon Tool cause my DVD drives too loud.

All jokes aside drivers signing will be a bitch for playing downloaded games, there might be away around it though.

DVD Roms too loud, you should be a comedian how do you come up with sht like that LOL

9. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately Kaze, I did used to use Daemon tools to load images I had created of game disks for the reason Starbuck said.
    I had an old crappy, loud DVDrom and I hate switching disks around.
    Also the same reason I use noCD patches on games.
    I just don't want to be arsed to drag around my disks.

now with this laptop for school and it's tiny hard drive, I actually don't have any games installed.

and btw, there are rules against talking about software piracy/downloading on Bit.

10. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

Oh yeah the rules ok umm yes Daemon Tools elimination of loud DVD Drives may not work on Vista, so sad. Guess we'll all just have to put up with those loud and abnoxious Rom drives.

Tags: Add Tags