1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Emulator detected! Please deactivate virtual drive and emulation software.

Discussion in 'Software' started by culley, 21 Dec 2008.

1. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

I can't play games!

As yo can read from the title, everytime i put in a game disc that i actually own its says this and the only way i've figured out how to play my games is by using a no-cd crack :(.

It's happened with C&C:TW now its happening with EE:3!

I did installed Football manager which has securom on it do you think thats borked my system.

2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

So you don't have any virtual disc software installed? Like Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120%, MagicDisc etc...

Do you possibly have any SCSI devices? Some borky copy protection might think they are virtual discs.

Other than that, you can only blame SecuROM then.

3. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

I dont have any emulation software! This is down to securom those a-hole's.

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

try getting the 64bit securerom files from securerom. it may be failing because the securerom included on the games loaded the 32bit securerom drivers only, which fail on a x64 system. without the drivers loading it will fail because it can't do a media check.

5. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

i had this once, i did have demon tools running but even after i uninstalled it, it didnt work.
    Contacted EA who recommended a format (Nothing to harsh) to fix it

6. mm vr

WHAT?! So you'll have to format your computer to run SecuROM protected games?

Haha, not for me! Even less reasons to buy games anymore!

7. nukeman8

nah only happened with that 1 game, probably a bad lot of securom.

I didnt format it at the time, just played the game when i got round to formatting it next

8. Matticus

Matticus ...

Its great how this would never happen if you had pirated the game.:grr:

Your best bet is just to use a no-cd and enjoy not having to bother with putting the disk in every time.

9. nukeman8

to use a no-cd you would of have to pirated the game, something i wont do.

10. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Ive done it with a few of my games GTR, dreamfall and another. I dont see it as piracy at all seeing as i bought a proper version from a proper shop, Its not my fault that the publishers couldnt release a game that a paying customer can play.

11. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Check here what copy protection your game is using:
    http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/gamedb.php

Securom7 and safedisc4 can prevent you from running game when you have a virtual drive manager installed on your PC. But I also noticed that certain versions of securom doesn't prevent you from running game as long as you keep original disc in DVD drive.
    If you have Daemon tools or Alcohol 120% installed on your PC then download program called YASU(Yet Another Securom Utility, but watch out from where you download it, check daemon tools forum) - it hides these programs and it might help you(but it won't work if you're using pirated disc image to run the game - you need original disc).
    Running Sysinternal tools(ie registry monitor) will cause Securom7 to always prevent game exe from running. Reboot should help...

I'm not sure about Securom DRM crap. I never bought game which is infected by it.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2008
  12. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Ah the joys of modern PC gaming /sarcasm.

If they want people to pirate games out of convenience even if they are willing to pay for them they are going the right way about it.

13. Matticus

Matticus ...

You don't have to pirate a game to use a no cd. You can download a no-cd crack from several websites without having to pirate a game. I doubt I would be allowed to say which one I use, so I won't.

I use no-cds because I don't want to keep getting the disk out of the box. This is due to laziness and because I don't want my disks to get scratched.

14. nukeman8

sorry i put it across wrong, i use no-cds as in demon tools i load a cd image but with the securom problem that didnt work, modifying the exe works but then blocks internet play

15. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

But the thing that annoys me is that i unistalled the game that installed securom on my machine and it still keeps on doing it. I still don't know how to remove the securom files atm.

16. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Securom is part of game exe file usually. When you run that exe - first thing it starts is securom - it checks for virtual drive manager, check disc etc... If everything is ok then securom starts game itself. It's not some sort of background process which is running all the time.
    Only Starforce is resident evil. It's running as "service". For example if you try to run Alcohol software to create image of disc it'll mess with your drive...

17. mm vr

Nope, all newer copy protections run as services.

SF just installs ring 0 drivers, that's nothing unusual, even virus scanners and Daemon Tools do that).

SecuROM and SafeDisc add services and DLL files.

Actually I think even the newest SecuROM and SafeDisc versions add drivers to your system.

You can check all drivers by going to device manager and then Show > Show hidden devices.

Now when we're talking about bad experiences with copy protections...

Once when I installed TrackMania (Original), which has StarForce, I got a BSOD on reboot.

Once we installed Worms 4: Mayhem, which also has StarForce, on my friend's computer, it asked for a reboot and on startup we got an error about incompatible drivers. Well the game still didn't run, and in the end we ended up using a no-cd. And this was on 32-bit Vista.

18. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

this pisses me off so much back in the days of doom3 they had this where you couldnt play if deamon tools was installed, the fact that i used it to mount legit images doesnt matter i had to remove it i get around this nowadays by using network shares of a mount contained on a server allowing the image to be used on all my home pcs but it is still just plain wrong

19. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

As pointed out twice above, this is baloney. I fix most of my games to run without CDs after buying them. If that's a breach of copyright, sue me. If it offends your morals...what planet are you on? :lol:

I'd remove secuROM for every title just out of good practise if I could - it's such a godawful piece of crap, I've never had it let me play a game without a hitch. It just hates my DVD drive. Apparently there's no Safedisc Unwrapper equivalent for SecuROM and it's essentially tied to the game (source), so I'd just use a fix of some description. The developers already have your money for the game, don't feel guilty about wanting to play it for Christ's sake!