1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Free Quake III multiplayer in your browser

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 5 Mar 2009.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Does it include Team Arena too? IMO one of the most underatted expansion packs ever released.

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I tried to play it on last week in the middle of the afternoon and still i had a >1k queue and i cba to wait at the time will get round to it. Are these queues likely to continue after the game is released?

4. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

The queues do go down pretty quickly - I was something like 1,200 away and was on in 40 minutes or so...

5. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

Yes, the queue is just to get registered and download the plug-in. Just leave it running in your browser while you do other stuff then jump back on when its done. If you have a PC at work you can do it during your lunch break or something when its a lot less busy.

This is just a one off so once this process is finished its insta-play from then on in. No more queues.

6. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

The queue was disabled a couple of days ago. You don't have to wait anymore.

7. GFC

GFC What's a Dremel?

Tried.. didn't like it, for some reason i'd better play COD4 or any other game that actually doesn't leave me pressing for servers in a browser for half an hour, just to get the 'the list is not available atm' sign..

8. Cutter McJ1b

Sorry to hear that GFC. I've never had any issues getting a game.

I might be tempted to play CoD4 too if it was free and in my browser.

9. digitaldave

digitaldave What's a Dremel?

once you have downloaded the bit you have to que up for you dont have to que again till you need another download.

it also downloads the rest of the game whilst you are playing.

doesn't work on mac though but is good fun and quite difficult

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

The queue was still there after downloading the content, and due to the level of interest I was having to wait 30 minutes for a game.
    It's still a Beta after all, and when I did get into a game it pretty good - reminded me of how bad I was at Quake 3 all those years ago.

It needs some instagib only maps though :d

11. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

As mentioned above, the Queues are gone as of a couple of days ago. This was the only thing causing trouble for me. I can now jump into a game as soon as I get to the front page and I must say it brings back so many fond death match memories.

Pings are good and the matching system seems to work well (although you are not restricted and can join any game you wish).

Quake III is still considered by many, who can ignore graphics, as the finest free for all death match game ever made. I'd be one of them. It's still a lightning fast, rocket dodging reaction fest with some fantastically balanced maps.

@Bauul: There seems to be some content from Team Arena in there. I haven't seem all the maps yet but the ones I have seen include the extra weapons such as the mines layer and Mini-gun.

For a free game, it's hard to pass up.

Oh and it has wide screen support for every resolution under the sun! Something the original Quake III never had.

12. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

@ yodasarmpit: It does have instagib matches. And they are still ace!

13. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Can't get this working, it'll either not recognise my mouse at all, or have ridiculous sensitivity so I can't control it at all.

14. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

Stat tracking and achievements are now up and running.

@ ozstrike: pretty sure you can adjust mouse sensitivity either in the properties or old style in the console.

15. Cutter McJ1b

It just got that much more awesome. Free gaming has never been better.

16. Xir

Xir Modder

Wow...thats needed. This got me off playing multiplayers in the first place, g

Tags: Add Tags