1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Help needed with a poster

Discussion in 'General' started by Awoken, 23 Mar 2012.

1. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Dear Bit-tech,
    Is there anyone out there with the photoshop skill to produce a teaser poster? I’m running a school project (see the modding forum for details on ‘Project Horizon’) and I would really like a teaser poster to put up around school. I have a picture and want to turn it into an A3 sized poster with the project name ‘Horizon’ in the centre with a little lighting (or not if it would look too much) behind it and the tag line ‘The sky is not the limit’ underneath the central project title. At the bottom of the poster I would like the text ‘Launching 2013’ centred. Beneath this text I have posted a quick mock up but I do not have the requisite skill to produce anything better. My pupils will love this project and a good teaser poster will help build support for it in the school. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :thumb:
    Awoken
    This is my mock up:
    [​IMG]
    This is the image I want to use:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 24 Mar 2012
  2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

To be honest. I'm not seeing anything particularly wrong with your mock up. Clean.. simple.. intriguing enough to generate interest without being a spoiler.

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I agree. I might move the text down some, observe the rule of thirds.

4. Pookeyhead

It is on a third. Besides... I never got on with that rule. The earth's horizon is on a third, and the word horizon is on a third.

Lysol is right though... it really does look good as it is. Sometimes less is more dude... don't start "designing" it further. It works.

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Horizon is in the top third, but 'sky is not the limit' is in the middle zone. I would move both into the middle zone, and have more negative space in the top. Text closer to the center will have better eye movement as the bright spot of the sun will always draw the eye there. If the text is there it will have more impact. I would align the bottom of that text on the halo line.

Otherwise, I am totally in the less is more school. The overall concept is great and I would not add anything, just tweak it a little.

6. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

i quite like your design. to echo the others, its a simple and clear poster.

its nice to throw ideas about though, so a quick couple for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

if only to give a quick visual for other text placement.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It's quick, simple, and a bit of a rip of the Mass Effect logo... it's also 1am and I'm low on caffeine...

[​IMG]

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

no that's no good. "IZon" is far too dark.

i think the first looked absolutely fine, just needs a little crop off hte top and the text brought down slightly.

9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I'm with most of the people here, I think it looks great as it is pretty much :)

10. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I agree with Pookyhead. You don't need to move the text anywhere; if anything you could almost move it up just a touch. If you bring the text down, you'll start crowding the middle of the frame. The horizon, the sun, and the text will start to compete, and you'll be left with a giant negative space at the top.

In my opinion, everything is sitting in a visually pleasing place right now. As Pook said, don't start over designing it. Too many good designs end up in the design-by-committee rubbish bin; don't let this be one of them!

11. Awoken

To get the picture into a roughly suitable size to be scaled up to A3 I added a big black rectangle to the top. The light bloom from the horizon didn't match so I featherd the edges with the spray can in paint. I'm worried that when I blow it up to A3 size and print it this bodge job will be very visible. It doesn't appear to be a problem here because the forum seems to compress the image.

12. Pookeyhead

Post up what you've done. It sounds to me like you're slowly ruining it.

13. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Yep, and host it with somewhere like Imageshack so we can click to see the full size. :)

14. Pookeyhead

Maybe less vertical height, so it actually is A3 may work.

Also.. quality will need to be higher for A3.

Here's a print resolution version for A3.

[edit]

Some fractal noise added to mask the horrible banding present in all available online versions of that image. Some VERY subtle lens flare added to the centre of the sun too, just to add a little definition to the glare. Calmed the colours down a bit to... seemed a bit oversaturated to me. Slight anamorphic squeeze added to flare... just to lend a cinematic feel.

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

oh god bring that damn text down and push the coming soon up.

16. Pookeyhead

My bad.. cropped it last... being lazy.

[​IMG]

17. Awoken

@Pooky: That's brilliant. Thank you so much!

The original is only 1024x768 and I'm hosting with photobucket which should be fine? How do I stop the forum from compressing this to 800x600?

18. Pookeyhead

Mine is 4961 x 3508. The forum resizes it, but if you click the banner at the top it should reload it at full res, and you'd just right click and save.

Your 1024x768 is fine for screen use, but not to print at A3. Use mine if you want to print.

19. Awoken

Thanks Pookey. How do I stop the forum from resizing photos/pics in the future?

20. Pookeyhead

Bit Tech doesn't actually resize the files... it just shows a 800x600 preview. Above the image, there should be a notice telling you the original size. Click this, and it reloads the full size in it's own page/tab.

It also depends who hosts your images. Photobucket tends to resize very large files, and others do too. I hosted that poster on my own web space. I think the Bit Tech albums will let you upload large files though.... hang on.... I'll check.

[edit]

Nope.. 800x600.

Is this what you meant? When you upload to your Bit Tech album space? It seems to be 800 x 600 limited. Photobucket allows much bigger... but not sure how much bigger.