1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Intel BurnTest stress test

Discussion in 'Software' started by GK7, 18 May 2009.

1. GK7

GK7 What's a Dremel?

Just found this program - BurnTest - Basically stability testing.

Seems to be far more stressful on the CPU than Prime95 - my temps on this are 15 degrees higher at full load than on Prime95.

Last edited: 18 May 2009
  2. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I use it regularly, never bothered with Prime95 - after all, 30 minute stability tests with rock-solid answers and higher temps through better stress is far better than 24hrs of 'can I count that as stable yet?'.

3. GK7

GK7 What's a Dremel?

How does it get higher temps out f the CPU though ?

Surely 100% load on Prime95 = 100% load ?

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

the load difference is to do with the percentage of CPU being utilised. for example, the cache hit-rate is a huge factor is the CPU utilisation rate,

Intel Burn test is using LinPack to calculate, LinPack is a very efficient algorithm calculating the matrix inversions, so cache hit-rate is very high, therefore CPU spend less time waiting for memory and more time doing stuff.

there is, possibly, more stressful algorithm than LinPack, but since this is more stressful than Prime95, and no program can even reach Prime's level of stress because of branching and other stuff, it's safe to say as long as you pass the BurnTest, your can consider your CPU's temperature to be within range.

5. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

Actually Folding@home, or more specifically GROMACS, stresses a CPU far more than Prime95 ever will. That's precisely why StressCPU2 was created. It uses hand-coded tight assembly loops to stress the FPU and SSE units of CPUs.

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Different types of test will give different temps... Temps aren't directly related to CPU load.

I have been using F@H on both overclocked CPU's and GPU's lately to perform stability tests :)

7. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

LinPack utilizes the built-in stress function in Intel Core and newer CPUs.

8. GK7

GK7 What's a Dremel?

I suppose no other real world program would stress out the CPU that much anyway - except FAH.

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

interesting. thanks.

i was encoding when i typed last post, and my temperatures are a good 7 or 8c lower than Prime95's highest value. to me, F@H also never achieved high temperature may be because GPU2 client cutting into the schedule.