1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows avoiding startup repair

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by I'm_Not_A_Monster, 10 Sep 2010.

1. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

for the last couple months my dad has been clicking ignore on "that NOD thing" that pops up on his vista computer. "that NOD thing" is NOD32 and now vista wont boot. that doesn't have anything to do with this thread, but i just wanted to share what i have to deal with here.

right now the HDD from the aforementioned dell is hooked up to my desktop and i'm transferring all the documents/music/movies/etc off it to my desktops HDD for safekeeping.

my plan is to delete all the partitions on the vista HDD and install Win 7 Ultimate. then remove the HDD, put it back on my desktop as a slave, then copy their data back (after ClamWin sorts through it all). after doing that i'll put the Win 7 HDD back in the currently broken dell and it will be brought back from the grave.

the only problem with this plan is windows ALWAYS fails to start, i have to go through startup repair, decline restoring, let it sit for about 30 mins, then reboot and it's fine. i think it's because the HDD was last accessed from a different computer (my desktop). is there a way i can avoid that headache and have it just work?

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

can you transfer the files over the network? that would save you from having to pull the drive to put his data back in

your putting win 7 on it anyhow so.. why mess with the vista install at all

you will have to install win 7 on your pops rig

3. I'm_Not_A_Monster

i'm (1) installing 7, then (2) taking the drive out and hooking it up to my desktop to copy their files back into their user folder, then (3) will put the drive back in and leave it there.

i'm asking how to avoid the startup repair nonsense between (2) and (3)

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah it looks to be an annoying feature built into win 7.. keep hitting f8 on post and you'll get the old safe mode menu- you should see load with last known good configuration

see if that gets around the issue.. the best way would be to network the two rigs up though and transfer the files.. I'll post back if find any more on it

5. I'm_Not_A_Monster

i gave up after 4 hours trying to get a live CD on the vista computer to connect to my ubuntu laptop. that functionality should be built into the LiveCD because it's a common use for a livecd