1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Are you waiting for LGA2011? Need your feedback on budget.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 25 Jul 2011.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sorry to link to elsewhere but it hasn't been covered by bit in the news:

http://www.techpowerup.com/149464/C...aster-On-Average-Than-Core-i7-990X-Intel.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/149241/Sandy-Bridge-E-Model-Numbers-Clock-Speeds-Surface.html

What's your budget for LGA2011? Are you still satisfied with X58 or LGA1155? How expensive is too expensive for a high-end platform?

Obviously this is me absolutely not confirming or denying it simply because I don't know :p It would be easier if I did ha.

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Aug 2011
  2. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Probably skipping this altogether. I'm curious about how Bulldozer will fare, allthough I don't really have my hopes up. I'll probaly feel the urge to upgrade sometime near when Ivy Bridge is coming out, as my irregular PC gaming needs aren't even really pushing my current CPU atm.

3. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I tell you what, I love cheese me.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2011
  4. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Again I'll have to see how the pricing is. I still feel the power of my current system is wasted

5. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Very much the same for me. Skipped K series completely as nothing pushes my system even remotely close to the point it bothers me. I want a shiny new montior though so I think I'll be due for an upgrade Q1/Q2 next year.

6. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

X58 still isn't showing its age.

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'll still be sticking with my Q6600 for a while, it still hasn't failed me yet so there's no need to replace it

8. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Leaving my system as is when it's completed. I need it together for game design and AVR programming.

2011 brings nothing to the table, as far as I'm concerned. It's an extreme top-end socket for a throw-money-at-it setup. For the money I can get a NICE dual G34 setup and stomp it in my type work. Notice the last phrase of the sentence before anyone gets uppity.

I'm interested in another good GPU to pair with my 465 on my Hydra board, and my server is set. My wife is content with her machine, and consolification has just about killed graphics in gaming. What's the use in yet another high-end socket?

9. Sponge12349

Sponge12349 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ ︵ ┻━┻

I'll wait for prices and benchmarks for cpus/mobos/ram. I would consider paying maybe ~130% of the cost of a sandy bridge setup if it gives a decent performance upgrade.

10. Anneon

Anneon What's a Dremel?

For me it will depend on the performance gains over the current 2500k sweet spot and price premiums for the gains.
    As usual will wait for the benches and then decide.

11. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Tbh I've been in the process of building a pc for 2 months now and cba to upgrade to what will be a £300 chip (guess?)

12. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I honestly think people are getting fed up of a new Intel socket every 3 weeks. In reality SB is good enough for 90% of us. My i7 940 was more than enough for what I needed it for. I think if most of us were truthful about how we use our PC we could all happily get by using an i5 750 1156 set up with 4Gb of ram. It's just that we're a bunch of performance junkies and not running the latest cutting edge tech seems like a crime punishable by death, so we all go out and spend more than we should on more stuff that we don't actually need.

Digi likes this.
  13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

No way am I paying more than £180 for a chip! I just have no need for that kind of performance, I'll wait for Ivy Bridge and get the 2500k equivalent thankyouverymuch.

Last edited: 25 Jul 2011
  14. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

And just to prove a point look at Parges sig...

15. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Im running an i5-750 and a GTX 460. She plays everything very nicely even with my CPU at stock.

The only games that challenge her at max settings are DAII, Shogun 2 and Dirt 3. Which can be sorted with an upgrade to the GPU.

Having said that lol, going along with jeffs theory about us being performance junkies, i want to experiment with watercooling, so my plan is to cash in on x58 being cheap vs its performance right now.

So it seems a decent time to get into watercooling..... for me at least. Il be running an i7-950 and a GTX 480 which i would have thought will see me through a very long time yet. (until i get bored)

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

and there's an AthlonX2 somewhere that still running fine for me :p

the price of mobo and CPU is way too much. it's not aimed at consumers at all, probably those without a budget limit such as the two Bit-techers running 3-SLi 580's. (PeteJ and Truegamer)

i'll be waiting for Ivy bridge, or possibly skip this architecture (aka one full Tick-tock) generation all together. i am (like most people with Nehalem architectures) still more limited in GPU power than CPU power, especially at 2560x1440. to be honest, i'd probably have skipped Nehalem and bought sandy bridge if i hadn't won that Asus competition.

Bulldozer doesn't interest me as a gamer, it will be no where near Sandy bridge's performance in terms of single threaded games. considering that's all i use my rig for these days, ah well.

17. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I got a 2500k already.

I think I'm set for a while, it was a hell of an upgrade from my E8400.

18. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

I think those of us who have invested in x58 have every reason to stay where we are. It was expensive in the first place and its still very fast, although when 2011 systems start to appear in sigs I predict some will be dragged in ;)

19. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I'm actually starting to think that we have enough CPU-power already. For me there's just no reason to go through the hassle of upgrading the motherboard and CPU, because I just can't think of anything where the extra performance would make a significant difference.

Sure, it's an enthusiast forum, but being an enthusiast to me has never meant blindly shelling out money just to have the fastest there is, but more of actually knowing what you have and what you're getting.

OH and back to the topic: no, I'm not going to buy it. Also I think the SB 2500K will remain the CPU to get for just about all people...

20. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Considering my system is as it is (see sig) I'm due for an upgrade on several fronts, most pressingly on the GPU front. CPU-wise I'll probably hold out for Ivy Bridge.