1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DirectX 12 to launch at GDC this month

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Mar 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

The API everyone will want, exclusive to the OS nobody needs (allegedly).

Just bring back Voodooo GLIDE :)

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Some of my fondest gaming memories are GLIDE-based: Turok, MechWarrior 2 with the 3dFX patch, Tomb Raider with same... I had a look at GLIDE wrappers a while back, to see if I can bring back the glory days - but I never did manage to get any of 'em to run. Bah.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Wouldn't it be more likely to be a Windows 9 exclusive ?

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

It'll just be a re-branding exercise...just like GPU's have been for the last 12mths.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

can see this with windows 9 not 8 to be honest

7. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Just as it as always been with cro$oft. Want the new Dx ? Then get then new Windows.

8. WarMadMax

WarMadMax What's a Dremel?

Time to shift to Steam OS and OpenGL then game dev's?

9. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Why is that then? To narrow their sales potential?

I don't see a problem with this at all, it's progress that Microsoft need to be applauded for but some trolls just want to dig at the big dog.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm guessing some people dislike the modern OS as much as they disliked Vista, when Microsoft pulled the same thing back then it didn't tempt people to upgrade. I'm guessing making DX12 a Windows 9 exclusive won't tempt people into upgrading much the same way that DX10 couldn't save Vista.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2014
  11. rollo

rollo Modder

Guarenteed for Windows 9 in truth. Might see it hacked int 8 if its not that difficult to do but would not guarentee that one.

Open GL would be great if you only game on nvidia gpus.

Steam OS needs time to mature as much as I like Valve.

12. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

If it indeed can go baremetal as mantle, then it should really be something, not going on any side, but competition is always good, mantle made a point, MS plays catch up, valve does not like the new windows app store stuff, they released steamOS, though I have to be honest steamOS is not really that attractive to me atm.

13. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I love competition.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I'm glad to know DX12 is going to be released so soon. At least I know that whenever I do a new upgrade, it'll be DX12 compatible. But, since I mostly use Linux, I'm going to wait until the openGL equivalent is released.

I feel bad for AMD though - they wasted a good amount of time and money on something that is basically already obsoleted. They can't afford stuff like that. What I don't understand is why AMD didn't attempt to put their Mantle implementation into OpenGL. That way, nobody requires a proprietary platform, other companies can/will join in the development, it still could've been made hardware specific, and it'd be help encourage more developers to ditch DX.

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm not sure why AMD would be peeved that DirectX and OpenGL are following suit, after all that was one of the reasons they released Mantle. http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/177407-microsoft-hints-that-directx-12-will-imitate-and-destroy-amds-mantle

16. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

Yes this will be for W9.
    W8 has the vista stigma all over it and MS would do good to leave W8 behind to rot.
    I didnt like W7 at first but it has turned out to be a great OS for me personally. So I hope the recent cycle of good OS - bad OS - good os - bad os continues, so W9 should be worth getting

17. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Same as you. Didn't like W7 at first but it nice now ... but that didn't prevent me to drop W7 for Arch Linux. As I do not game and only use dev tools, creative soft (writing, digital painting, modeling) and scientific tools, Linux is just perfect for me.

I agree that computer graphics need something more modern. It's time to go beyond Dx / openGL.

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

People didn't like W7 because people have a hard time accepting change even if its better in every conceivable way. Windows 7 is probably the first MS product that impressed me since Windows 3.11 (which was the first GUI I ever used). Windows 8 I don't like, not because of the idea of the start screen interface but because of how it was so poorly executed. Windows 8 also has a knack for wasting a ton of vertical space. I don't mind the ribbon bar being added to things like Explorer but seriously, it needs to be set up vertically.

19. SimoomiZ

SimoomiZ What's a Dremel?

DX12 ...Let's guess, you'll need a new card and latest Windows OS to support it? Not because of any substantial architectural changes or OS specific reasons; but because of greed and proprietorial driver decisions. And before there are any games that make use of it, there'll be DX12.1.

Many will be hoping Mantle can unchain PC gamers from the scenario above.

Worth mentioning that AMD have said they intend to make the Mantle SDK widely available when it's stable and fairly final.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2014
    Fizzban likes this.
  20. rollo

rollo Modder

AMD are late to there own party 90% of the time.

If MS came out and said it will be windows 7 and you dont need a new card then they would pretty much default win.