1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other TV Licensing & Harassment

Discussion in 'General' started by Guest-23315, 18 Jul 2014.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Howdy Internet peoples..

I'm having a bit of an issue with what to do about my TV license, or in my case, lack there of.

I've always had one for my flats previously, but with my new one, I don't have a 'TV', there is no functioning aerial connection. I also do not use 'live streaming' from the internet, only Youtube/Netflix/iPlayer.. That being said, I do have what would be considered a 'TV screen' in my flat, connected up via HDMI to my PC so I can use the bigger screen when watching films and the like..

Now, I know that what im doing is perfectly legal, I know I dont 'need' a license to do it, but I'm getting hounded and harassed with letters and phone calls demanding that I get one.. I'd tell them to send the enforcement officer around to look at what I have, but think he'd have no clue that you can use a TV screen as a second computer screen...

So what should i do? Do I chance it and not get one, or swallow my pride and fork out £150 for something I don't want or need.

2. RTT

RTT #parp

Have you actually told the person on the phone that you don't need one?

Anyway, send them a letter / ring them / complete the form online where you declare that you don't need one because of the reasons you've stated. They'll accept it, but will bug you again in a few years (in their speak "will check up on your circumstances in a couple of years in case they have changed")

Don't be silly :)

edit: just fill this in -

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/no-licence-needed/index.app

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Write to them, explaining the situation. What you are doing is perfectly legitimate, and you do not require a television licence. Just send it in a way that you can prove it was delivered, and keep a copy :thumb:

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I had this same issue when at uni... just tell them to **** off... worked for me...

EDIT: this was after telling them repeatedly I didn't have a TV and constantly getting threatening letters...

5. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

You dont need one.. Dont get one! Although the rule on streaming MAY change one day.. But currently you dont have to. Just wait till they send someone over!
    BTW, you could just tell them it's a large computer screen.. How will they know the difference? :lol:

6. jinq-sea

If they look at the hardware and see an aerial socket, it'll be apparent ;)

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Cheers guys :thumb:

Spoken to someone on the blower who was actually helpful and understanding and its all sorted now.

8. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

But if you had a large monitor and a PC with a tuner card in it.. ;)

9. jinq-sea

This is true, but they are less likely to look at the PC than the TV (and you choose to put a tuner in a PC, you can't buy a TV without a tuner (that's a 'monitor') ;))

10. RTT

RTT #parp

It actually doesn't make any difference - if the tuner isn't in use, you don't need a license
    i think you may know this but for the benefit of people who think that simply owning a tuner means you need to be licensed...

11. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

12. Strudul

Strudul ~

I just ignore the letters. Not like they can do anything about it.

If they send someone round (they never have in my case), they:
    1) have to tell you they are coming, they can't just show up
    2) have no authority, you don't have to let them in*

*unless they have a warrant - but they can't get that without sufficient evidence

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

It seems fairly reasonable in the UK. In Ireland if you have any equipment capable of receiving a signal you need to have a license. Even if that equipment is a broken telly. It even got to the stage of government talks of taxing the internet because people can watch TV online. Thankfully that talk seems to have died down for now.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

In the uk you can sign the form online and not pay it. They have little way of enforcing it without actual evidence.

15. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

The whole TV licensing concept has become completely outdated, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see a complete overhaul in the near future.

16. theshadow2001

Like I said it's pretty reasonable. Although that's also wide open to abuse.

What's wrong with having a box like the cable/satellite companies. Pay your license, they send you a card. Shove the card in the box and you get your signal descrambled.

17. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

What baffles me is why we have to pay for a TV license to watch streaming internet content. Adverts (or taxes in the case of the BBC) pay for the content itself, and we pay our ISPs for the delivery infrastructure. So what's a TV license then, other than the government not saying no to free money?

18. theshadow2001

If you are in the UK you don't need to have a license to watch catch up services. It's all in that link above.

19. Strudul

Strudul ~

But you do if it's live TV watched via the internet.

20. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

You only need a licence if you watch live TV...on ANY device. Personally I would ignore them. Like has been said above, they have no powers so just don't let them in your home.