1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The Commodore 64 turns 30

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 Aug 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I still have mine! Including the original Datasette and a 1541 floppy drive. Lots of disks and tapes as well, but they're probably damaged beyond repair these days.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

remember having 1!! - loading `jet set willy` on the tape drive , and programming games from magazines :D

4. techhead

techhead Minimodder

I also had Commodore 64 A long time ago . I do remember playing Daley Thompson's Decathlon, Bruce Lee, baperboy the good old days

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I miss my C64. Ahh those were the days ^^

6. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Only 30? Geez, as I am also 30 the C64 must have been ancient by the time I got my jam covered hands on one. Ah I still remember that Christmas morning, I didn't move all day :)

I still revisit some games now and again. Recently played through puff the dragon which was much easier than I remember as a kid.
    Treasure Island dizzy was another one and it was scary how much I remembered but I couldn't finish it due to a bug underwater. Need to find a working version.
    I also haven't gotten turrican 2 to work. I keep saying I will sort that out but never do :(

7. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I've still got mine in the loft. For some reason the floppy drive that came with it weighs several times more than the C64 itself.

8. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

9. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I loved the Bruce Lee game. Amazing :)

10. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

I'm still toying with the idea of getting a C64 again (my original one bust in the late eighties by which time I had a PC), although my other half thinks I've already got enough old computers (3 x Amiga & 2 x Speccy) - but to re-live those times on Summer/Winter/World Games and listening to SID tunes without resorting to emulation is starting to grow on me.

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

poking and peeking on the vic20/c64 was fun, especially if you added things to the io and joystick ports.

computerised bedroom security device anyone? you know those scrolling led signs, i once created one for my c64 via io port, i also did a 2 button with flashing lights buzzer system for quizzes, my dad says he thinks that is still in the garage

12. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

Not a single mention of my Uncle Chuck... psht.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Peddle

The guy made this stuff happen. Without his processors, personal computing would never have gotten off the ground.

13. Mrmelon98

Mrmelon98 When's a Dremel?

Tramiel is a genius. End of.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Simple lack of room, and no slight on Peddle's contribution - or, indeed, any of the other Commodore and MOS Technology employees who were so instrumental in the creation of the KIM, PET, C64, Amiga and all the various spin-offs, clones and successors.

Is he really your uncle? Cool!

15. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

This was one of the factors in who I decided to be friends with as a kid. I had a TRS-80 Color Computer, and a kid a few houses up had this one, I taught him how to use it, being, even then, much more intelligent than my peers.

Once our neighborhood was inundated with normal PCs (this being the sub-urbs outside NYC, and many parents worked at IBM), we all moved happily to them. Our schools were lucky to be given IBM PCs from the very beginning and I have been playing Games on them ever since. We also had the ubiquitous Apple IIs...

A disk drive for these (Commodore and TRS-80) ancient machines cost 400$ in the early 80s, which is serious money 2012 dollars.

I must truly say that while I had a great time, I do not miss those computers! I do wish that people could code as efficiently as they were forced to in those days, 8 gig games are the norm now.

Yours in Halcyon Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

16. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Duke Nuke'em is my RL Uncle.

S*D

17. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

' Stay a while.......staaaaaaay FOREVER!'

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^^^ Ah, Impossible Mission: good times. :D

I still have my (heavily modded) C64 somewhere. Added CPU activity light, reset button, five switchable OS ROMs (so you could run several different programs from boot), floppy upgraded from serial to parallel interface. There was some interesting aftermarket stuff for it. Even more for the Speccy.

Now I have a C64 emulator on my PC.

19. CrazyBlade

CrazyBlade What's a Dremel?

Right there with ya. I'd love to get another one.

20. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

Recetly sold my Commodore C128D and Amiga Tower due to lack of space. If anyone is interested the book "The spectacular rise and fall of commodore" is a fantastic read.