1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Quality of Advancements

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Plastic_Manc, 28 Oct 2014.

1. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

Hey,

Thank you kindly everyone that helped me with my updating, the parts are ordered and looking forward to the difference of a Haswell chip against my 775 E6400.

My next question is about monitors. The wife has had enough of my current setup looking too cluttered as it sits in the living room. I have an NEC Multisync 20WGX2 which I spent about £450 on about 7-8 years ago as my main monitor then a 17" Eizo that I picked up gratis off work for a second screen.

I'm going to chuck the Eizo (or gift it to anyone who lives near enough to me) and stay with the NEC. However this got me thinking about getting a larger monitor if I'm just using one. My question is, would I get an inferior product if I spent £250 or so on a 24" monitor now or have advancements in tech mean that it will still be better than what I already have?

Many Thanks,

Plastic

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

For a smidge over 200, you can get a dell U2412M. It'd be a nice bump in res up to 1900x1200 for sharper image, but your 460 might struggle a bit.

3. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I'm a big fan of the U2412M. I have three in eyefinity, and most the desks at work have the U2412M as their main monitor with a smaller 4:3 as a secondary. It's a really great, color accurate monitor.

4. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Unless you are doing work that specifically requires 4k resolution I think that the U2412m is a fantastic upgrade that you will enjoy for another 7-8 years. Hopefully by that time, GFX cards and software have caught up with 4k (or 5k).

My monitor has been by far my favourite and most noticable upgrade since I went from a 9600xt to a 4870.

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I would hold off juuuust a week r two for the U2412m. Dell have just unveiled the U2415, the successor to the U2412m, so either you'll have a new shiny at that price point, or the U2412m will see a price drop to clear inventory.

6. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

It's interesting to see that I'd get an improvement at that price point. In terms of the GFX card struggling, agreed but the plan is to swap that out in the near future for a new card. Undertaking the motherboard/CPU/RAM change has set me back £500 so just couldn't stretch to the graphics too.

I'll keep an eye on prices for the Dell as anything around £170 ish would probably make it a no brainer given the extra screen estate.

7. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

thanks for the info, i was going to be buying a u2412m on thursday. i probably still will do though:

• the 2415 looks like it's going to cost about 80quid more
    • it's not going to suddenly make the 2414 a bad monitor
    • i also prefer the look of the 2414. the 2415 has the old school silver stand.