1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London bomb plot

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Tim S, 29 Jun 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

I don't know how I managed to miss this, but I saw it on the news about 20 minutes ago.

Christ, I'm glad they got to it before it was detonated! :eeek:

more on the beeb: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6252276.stm

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Whoa, that's more than a car bomb. Packing nails in there is some nasty ****.
    It'll be interesting to see how Gordon Brown reacts as well, potentially his first terrorist explosion as PM. Lets hope he won't be eroding out liberties like that asshat Reid.

3. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I'm hoping the mobile phone detonator isn't a pun to my earlier proposed usage for an iPhone.

4. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Yeah, I was just watching this on ITV news, crazy stuff, hopefully all the cams will source the cars route and possible the drivers. Though it seems very strange, why wasn't it detonated...? Unless the ambulance/paramedic spotted it minutes after it was left there.

None the less, at least it wasn't detonated.

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

It seems that a very brave police officer defused the device before the bomb squad arrived.

Fortunately no one was hurt.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2007
  6. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

You're telling me police detonated 60litres of petrol + gas cylinders and nails in Haymarket?
    EDIT: How does a controlled explosion not blow everything into bits?
    I won't believe it until I see a good video. Or will they tell us that all the cameras on the street mysteriously failed to work?
    I think it's just another lie to try and make us believe we're under threat.
    No flaming, and use logic in your reply.

H.B.

7. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

They may have drained the munitions before destroying the triggers using smaller explosives. Just a guess. I wouldn't be surprised if the police just repurposed the unspent petrol for their own cars in the process.
    "Everybody in uniform, line up. Free petrol. Bring your own canister."

8. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Lol, i find it amusing that it was placed in haymarket.
    Ideal place if your a terrorist as its packed full of tourists.

I dont really care as im pretty sure this sorta thing will be common.

9. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

Problem is, most detonators are comparatively harmless after the substance they were to detonate has been removed.

H.B.

10. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Use logic in your statement and that'll be a fair challenge. Another lie? When was the last time the government faked a car bombing in London? :eyebrow:

PS: the wikipedia articles on bomb disposal and controlled explosions seem to make out that you can quite easily carry out a controlled explosion with far less destruction than the original device might've had.

11. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Like the government would make us feel unsafe in it's capital to make us try and support the overseas war effort?

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I'm unsure about this yet. There seem to be some conflicting stories with government people saying "no biggie, tbh" and police saying "this is hooge, be afraid" - it's good they caught it regardles. Terrorism achieves all of its goals even if the bomb does very little damage and no-one dies, because it makes people afraid and willing to hand away more of their liberties.

Obviously it's a lie, take a trip down to haymarket and ask if you can have a suck on those canisters they removed - I bet your voice'll just go a bit higher eh?

13. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Personally, I'm in the no biggie group. When I lived in Germany, the army actually gave us a device to look for car bombs, I guess people didn't like us much.

14. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I think we just need to accept that terrorism is part of living in the modern world and go on with life. Historically, the UK has done a much better job of that tyhan most places and i hope that trend continues.

15. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Terrorism in the UK has been around for decades (centuries even). It's just that now they're a different religion to us.

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No, they're telling you that the police defused the bomb. That is not the same as detonating it. Any bomb disposal expert would be keen to emphasise this small but rather vital difference...

Conspiracy theories make a good story, but as I have said many times before: beware of Story. She is a comely lass who sounds ever so sensible as she whispers her temptations in your ear. But she is only the identical twin to her sister Rumour. Fact is a plain looking thing by comparison, not so creative with charm and imagination, but at least you know where you stand with her.

As for how big this is: if it had gone off it would have been plenty big. Amateurs perhaps, hence the basic means involved and the fact that they managed to stay below the radar of COBRA, but I always find amateurs scarier than the "professionals".

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Tbh, they've been a different religion from the majority of us for a great deal of time. That's been a large part of the trouble.

18. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

To specofdust: you obviously didn't get what I meant, nor could you think out any alternative meaning before you assumed I'm sniffing methane/cyanoacrylate/whatever.

To Nexxo: I read a lot of conflicting reports and didn't wait long enough for the dust to settle before posting.

H.B.

19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well, since I obviously didn't understand your intended idea, perhaps you should do me the service of explaining it?

Also, why are you using Da Dego's av inverted?

20. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

Well that's actually what I didn't want to do, simply because I've always been mocked for it.
    But to quote Churchill in an abbreviated fashion: If you haven't stood up for something, you're not a man.
    I'll spend this week writing it up, and do the best job of it I can.

Da Dego's Av? Well I was using it inverted before, all I did was to screw his head back on the right way.

H.B.