1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other How can i limit how much skype can be used

Discussion in 'Software' started by pksjaveed, 21 Jul 2009.

1. pksjaveed

pksjaveed Nmodz: modding the world

hey guys iv been looking on google for something in which i could limit how much skype is used but no luck so i come to you .. ok my brother is using skype to much and i have tried setting up a policy on a static ip but it blocks in general..is there a way to block how much skype is used daily

2. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

Cancel Skype-to-phone full service? Unsubscribe/stop paying.

Cancel Skype-to-internet service? Impossible. To block it all together, use a software Firewall (like the one that comes with Windows). There might be a way using your router (if you're using one) which might be able to block "VOIP" connections (Skype is one).

good luck.

3. pksjaveed

pksjaveed Nmodz: modding the world

well from what i know its only skype to skype i have a linksys with dd-wrt os router .. i can limit skype to certain ours of the day but what im going for is maybe like a script i can load which starts when the skype packets start coming thru and after like 2 or so hours just deny it for a 24 hour period

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

How about talking to him about limiting his usage?

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well making a software that blocks a running program at a certain time of day can be made... but then the program can be killed. I guess a system of alerting you via e-mail that the program was killed can work (like via e-mail) Yes, it can detect when the system is being shut-down/log-off and not the software killed. Of course, even then they are ways around it...
    It's fairly easy to make from a programmer point of view... but anyway, look for that.

Or use Windows Parental control and just block Skype entirely. Actually how it works, is that all programs are blocked except those you allow... so renaming Skype executable won't work.
    See here: http://www.microsoft.com/protect/products/family/vista.mspx (it's the same for Win7)

Alternatively, you can have 2 accounts for him a Skype one and non Skype one. Main account has no access to skype, second account is time limited and can run skype. He can do switch account to prevent a log-off.