1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice on careers/changing countries

Discussion in 'Serious' started by sotu1, 30 Dec 2014.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Hi guys, found my self in complicated situation, and in need of some thoughts/different perspectives.

Basically I moved out to Singapore a year ago for a new job, which I'm really enjoying and doing pretty well in. Generally I'm enjoying myself living here as well (although it is a bit small and claustrophobic)

For a number of personal/family/relationship reasons, I should probably move back to the UK. It's not a must move, but I probably should. I should be able to line up another job but I'd be giving up a lot of what I have now in terms of career fulfilment and opportunity.

If I had been in Singapore for a few years I'd be ok with moving back, but it's only been one year so far, and the project I've just started on has only just started to come to fruition.

I'm not a super crazy career person, I'll never make CEO, but it's very important I enjoy my work, after all, it's pretty much one half of your life.

All in all, I think I'd probably be a little less happy if I was back in the UK...but like I said, I should probably go..

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Without knowing details it's impossible to say.

You need to way up the two sides, how much of a 'downgrade' your work will be to how important it is for you to go back, as it's not purely numbers other people can't help much,.

3. creative

creative 500rwhp

Agreed.

Personally, I moved from the UK to Australia 5 years ago and would never go back to live.. or even visit now. Mt life is very different to how it was in the uk.

4. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

Knowing very little about your situation it's hard to say.

You clearly want to stay where you are though.

So I'd say stay.

Move back only when you absolutely have to.

5. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

No offence, but unless you are able to elaborate on the above then this thread is fairly pointless.

6. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

As others have said, you've got family/personal/relationship reason(s) to go back...

Is this one reason or three or more?

Sounds like you've already made up your mind that you 'need' to go back 'home', so if it's something you gotta do - it's something you gotta do.

You're not making the decision lightly, and that's a good thing.

Think hard. Decide. Don't regret the decision as a decision needed to be made and your decision will be the right decision for the time and place.

Some decisions in life have two or more options with none of them perfect :(

7. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Why?

I mean.....Why? Singapore......

to the UK? for family?

No. I mean, why?:eyebrow: