1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows So you have installed Windows 10...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kronos, 17 Mar 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

.......now what?

I have finally relented and am installing Windows 10 on my least used PC. So to all those who have been using it for a while what are the essential first tweaks to do and any other tips?

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Tweak 1: Roll back to Win 8.1

:hehe:

Seriously though, my first move would be to turn off all the anti-privacy shizzle Microsoft has shoe-horned in there.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

1) I only had Windows 8 as a dual boot with 7 but could not understand why Microsoft want to make my 27" screen look like a phone or tablet with those ridiculous tiles.

2) It would help if you could tell me where to find this "anti-privacy shizzle" as I have no idea as yet where much is.

Edit Found them or most of them anyway. Microsoft sure likes to spread stuff about. I still do not know why most of what I have turned off is for phones or tablets and do not relate to a desktop at all?

Last edited: 17 Mar 2016
  4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

That's one the most annoying things - they didn't stick em all in one place so it's easy to manage; they sprayed em all over the place, making it purposefully bloody difficult

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Delete all desktop shortcuts, if there are any. They are both quadrilateral shaped and shortcuts, as well as aligning in a grid like fashion.

P.S. If you don't like the search box in the taskbar, right click on the taskbar select Cortana/Search(?) and choose either show icon for a taskbar shortcut for search, or hidden to get rid of it completely. I also hid the task view button too.

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I like a few icons on my desktop, Network, my files, control panel, and a couple of others.
    I do not have a search bar in the taskbar as I had to go looking for it when I needed it earlier.

7. Xir

Xir Modder

I also like to have certain things as Icons on the desktop.
    The trend is to search for everything, but I can't remember the name of the stuff I search for.

8. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks, that looks useful.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

As each day passes i am beginning to understand why so many people criticise Windows 10.
    I decide that I wanted to do a fresh install rather than stick with the upgrade for various reasons.
    All was going well until Windows decided it did not like my perfectly legitimate windows COA which was odd as it was perfectly acceptable during the upgrade. I eventually sorted that out and set about finding my way around.

What struck me is the seemingly haphazard way Microsoft has placed access to various setting which are all over the place. Why am I no longer asked where I want to save downloads to rather than using the default location? The way you need a third party program to change the image on the lock screen and what the f is Edge all about ? I have been gradually moving over to Chrome and Edge has tipped the balance.
    just a couple points that I have come across so far, I suspect I will not move my main PC over for quite some time to come in the hope i can get to grips new way of doing things.

I am grateful Microsoft do not build cars as we would need to sit a driving test after each new model is released.

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Microsoft do seem to 'forget' things while they are trying to reinvent the wheel. Download location, yea i don't understand why they took the option out. The default download location can be changed, but that's no help if you want a specific file saved somewhere else.

Image on the lock screen can be changed by right clicking on the desktop, selecting personalise and then lock screen.

Not sure what issues you're having with Edge, other than download location. I don't mind edge that much, though I still use Opera and I'm still annoyed there's no fullscreen version like in Modern IE on W8. Personally, I'd give Opera a try. Myself and others have been having more and more issues with Chrome recently. Amusingly enough Edge/IE run Youtube better than chrome does on my tablet and my PC.

There's a windows feedback option in W10, I'd recommend using it. It's the only way they'll listen.

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Sorry not the lock screen as I have changed that. It is the one where your input your pin number, no idea what that is called.

Edge just does not like most of the extensions I have used for years. But my main gripe is you really have to hunt around for settings which although related can be under different heading.

Fortunately there is much out there now to help in Google land.

13. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

i like windows 10 alot. Just wish it was more stable for me

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not a car but i couldn't pass up such a good opportunity. :D

[​IMG]

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

:
    :clap::clap::clap::clap:

16. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

lol best comment of that day

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I upgraded another one of my PC'S to Windows 10 and have been pleasantly surprised how well it went as opposed to my last upgrade which resulted in a clean install. This time everything works fine from software to peripherals and after tweaking the crap out of and removing all the unnecessry tablet/phone related rubbish and urning off a bunch of other stuff my first day of really using it has been alright.
    So much so that once the forthcoming upgrade is complete I will upgrade my main gaming PC also.

18. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Been thinking of selling and going mac.:waah:

19. knarF

knarF Noob

I've only upgraded today and I've gotta say it seems alright, boots alarmingly fast compared to Win 7 (mind you, it was a fresh install). I find the menus a bit confusing, but sure I'll learn.

Is there any major concerns some people have after using it for a while? Start wondering if I've done the right thing when I start seeing threads like this.

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

There is one thing I find it odd that 'It boots up fast' seems to me trumpeted as though that was the main point of concern with PC users. I would rather that Microsoft did not make things difficult to find. If I bought a new car I would not expect to find the dash board in the boot or the steering wheel under there back seat.