1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google launches Android 7.0 Nougat

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 23 Aug 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

a bit pissed off that it doesnt support the 2013 nexus 7 considering theres little better in the 7" range available on the market.

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

My 6p & Pixel were both enrolled in the beta program, and both received the release update last night.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I'm really glad they implemented Vulkan. This is the sort of thing that may help popularize it over DirectX, especially when you consider that OpenGL ES isn't very portable. Besides, ARM devices are pretty much the best platform to use it on. For x86, yeah, it's nice, but you have the wiggle room of getting a better CPU and a higher wattage PSU if you really need to. For a phone or a tablet, you want to keep it running as cool and power efficient as possible, and you don't have much of an upgrade path.

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Nice, hopefully my OnePlus X will receive it one day as I really don't feel like flashing a custom rom. On the bright side they did just release a beta build of Oxygen OS with Marshmallow so at least I've got the first iteration of Doze now.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If you're rooted, you can make Marshmallow act just like Nougat with regard to Doze by installing Naptime.

7. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Will look into it, thanks!

There's one thing I've been wondering about with doze. The description for Nougat (and this app) says stationary zone will defer alarms until the next maintenance window, which normally can be as much as six hours away. Does "alarms" in this context mean that alarms from the stock clock app will not be pushed through when dozing, or is that exempt by default?

8. Gareth Halfacree

I believe it's exempt, but I couldn't swear to it: when Android killed off 'Silent' in favour of 'Do Not Disturb' then made alarms silenced as well, I switched to using the alarm on my watch instead!

9. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

"continuing the dessert-themed naming convention"

Dessert themed? KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow, Nougat. These are sweets not desserts.

10. Gareth Halfacree

When do you eat sweets, exactly? I eat 'em for dessert. You're also missing 1.5 Cupcake, 1.6 Donut, 2.0-2.1 Eclair, 2.2.x Froyo, 2.3-2.3.7 Gingerbread, 3.0-3.2.x Honeycomb, and 4.0.1-4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich - and cupcakes, eclairs, frozen yoghurt, and ice cream sandwiches are definitely classed as desserts in this household!

Also, this courtesy Pikiwedia: 'Dessert (/dᵻˈzɜːrt/) is a course that concludes a main meal. The course usually consists of sweet foods and beverages, such as dessert wine or liqueurs, but may include coffee, cheeses, nuts, or other savory items. [...] The term "dessert" can apply to many foods, such as cakes, tarts, cookies, biscuits, gelatins, pastries, ice creams, pies, puddings, custards, and sweet soups. [...] The word dessert is most commonly used for this course in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland whilst Pudding is more commonly used in the United Kingdom. Alternatives such as "sweets" or "afters" are also used in the United Kingdom and some other Commonwealth countries, including Hong Kong, and India. [...] Small-sized cakes have become popular, in the form of cupcakes and petits fours. [...] Candy, also called sweets or lollies, is a confection that features sugar as a principal ingredient. Many candies involve the crystallization of sugar which varies the texture of sugar crystals. Candies comprise many forms including caramel, marshmallows, and taffy. [...] Many cuisines include a dessert made of deep-fried starch-based batter or dough. In many countries a doughnut is a flour-based batter that has been deep-fried. It is sometimes filled with custard or jelly. [...] Desserts consumed in Colombia include dulce de leche, waffle cookies, puddings, nougat, coconut with syrup and thickened milk with sugarcane syrup.' And just to finish it off: 'Kit Kat is a chocolate-covered wafer biscuit bar confection created by Rowntree's of York, England, and is now produced globally by Nestlé, which acquired Rowntree in 1988, with the exception of the United States where it is made under license by H.B. Reese Candy Company, a division of The Hershey Company.'

No, you're procrastinating!

Last edited: 24 Aug 2016
  11. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

That's it, I'm out. This place has turned into something I no longer enjoy.

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

:rolleyes:

Bye then.

#tookhisballhomeinahuff