1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft teases $299 virtual reality headsets

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 27 Oct 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. veato

veato I should be working

Will this launch around the same time as the Xbox 'Scorpio' I wonder?

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Will it work on a PC?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Err... They're literally PC VR headsets, designed exclusively for use with Windows 10. Now, the real question is "will they work with the Xbox One," which gets a resounding "if they don't then Microsoft's missed a trick and is letting Sony grab all the budget-conscious living-room VR market," which seems unlikely but not impossible.

5. Vault-Tec

Oh wow cool man. Well that's me holding on then.

6. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

It would fit with MS's continuing shift of the Xbox one towards Windows 10 - How close is the Xbox OS to windows 10 now? I know the're supposed to be sharing apps soon?

Agree that MS could pull a blinder with this one, both the Xbox S and Scorpio are arguably the better option over their equivalent PS versions due to featureset like 4k blueray, if MS add VR support then you could see them clawing back a lot of market share they lost early on

7. Vault-Tec

That's the sort of price I can drop the bomb on without there being any fallout whatsoever. Any more and I have to start explaining and I CBA.

Don't mind waiting. All good things etc. It also looks a lot smaller and therefore possibly lighter. This is good.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

And none of that annoying external camera stuff to add more cables:clap:

9. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

"Inside out" tracking is the future. A reasonable resolution camera and a 'normal' room with enough detail to key off and you'll get 'good enough' positional accuracy.

10. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Definitely takes care of seated experiences, but wouldn't you still need some kind of receiver for hand tracking like the vive sticks though?

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Its called simultaneous localisation and mapping. You use details in the room to track the position of the camera. You only need the camera and you can do it with just one camera. Basically the camera identifies features in the image and keeps track of them in the images as they appear to move (relative to the camera). By comparing where the features were in the previous image to where they are now in the current image, its possible to calculate the position of the camera. Augmented reality and mobile robots have been doing it for years. You'll probably find some form of it in most commercial drones. Its a very complex and interesting field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9HMn6bd-v8

Last edited: 1 Nov 2016
  12. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

This might be a silly question, but I keep seeing these funny looking code-type lines in posts. Having quoted you, I see now it's Youtube-related, but does that mean the original link is broken in my browser from your post?

Edit: Oh. In the forums, it shows as a video, but on the article comments it shows as "Y9HMn6bd-v8"... why?

Last edited: 1 Nov 2016
  13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

oh yeah. I forgot about that. We can't embed videos on the main page. I usually add a link to the video if I remember.

Basically the main page comments section doesn't have the required code to add embedded video where as the forum does. But the two are still linked, so you get the basic text from the from the forum post including the embedded video codes as a comment on the article. That's basically why it happens. Also I use the forum to comment on articles which is why I forget to add a link if I post a video.

14. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Aha! Nice one - that's been bugging me for years. I should have just asked!