Nick Berg Beheading: Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Serious' started by czechmodder, 12 May 2004.

1. czechmodder

czechmodder What's a Dremel?

As many of you know, the story thats been making big headlines is that of NicK Berg's beheading at the hands of Islamic extremists. He was a civilian contractor working in Iraq. I have a few links to the stories, and I do know the site where the actual video is but it might be too graphic to post.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3708047.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3705409.stm
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/05/12/iraq.berg.reax/index.html
    http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/3897D0E4-B263-46FA-B96D-A89AA3C4F4C8.htm
    http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/C6F93CE0-8FCB-425E-BD40-672B38CF68B1.htm

so id like to hear your thoughts on this story, i have personally found it quite disturbing.

2. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Please chat amongst yourselves whilst I man-handle this to the correct forum....

3. RTT

RTT #parp

Well I would guess most people find it more than just sick. Twisting the words of islam and killing an innocent man whilst chanting "allah" goes beyond wrong - but to film it and distribute it is even worse.

I hope the pieces of **** responsible have a similar ending to their obviously sad and mislead lives.

And please: no links to the said video. Any will be removed and probably result in your account being suspended.

4. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

this is the worst part of war, when people start killing innocents in the name of god. ugh.

i hope god's happy with what he has done to the world (whether he knew or not, of whether he exists or not (if hedoesnt his idea has done it)). All of this after all is most likely in his name.

Another GOD POint, i saw a church today with a sign saying something like like "give god your life, he's got more use for it", and i thought wtf! if god is omnipitent then he should need nothing off nobody. He gives life, why the hell would he want people to waste it worshipping him ? Its like a rabbit race. You buy the rabbits, let them rip, and all they wanna do is play on your shoelaces, just damned annnoying.

5. czechmodder

well you dont have to threaten me, i did say i wasnt going to post it.

6. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

RTT was not threatening you, he was just warning all not to post it. :)

7. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

This is absolutely sick. The thought that there are human beings (if you can call them that) out there capable of committing such horrendous acts makes me sick to my stomach.

8. RTT

RTT #parp

I was not threatening you at all - just a warning for all :) Sorry if it appeared that way :blush:

9. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

What's any more "sick" about this than any other form of violent act, "justified" military act or random "criminal" act? Although the fear waiting I would imagine was worse than the actual act, as it was relatively quick.

And yes, you can call them human beings, a lovely specimen aren't we? ;) It's in our nature to destroy. This is also the point of terrorism, to instill terror and upset your enemy.

"I think the world is a dead carcass and I think the purpose of human beings is as maggots." - Alison Moyet
    ;)

10. kiljoi

Did I say it was any sicker? No. Some things just get your attention and make you realize things that other things never did. I know the world is a sick place. I know that lots of evil, terrible things happen. But even so, some things just make me do a double take due to the severity/barbarity of it.
    Terrorism is the scourge of the Earth. It is disgusting and wrong. Humans as a species have wonderful potential, but nothing ever happens with it.
    One of the most fitting quotes I have seen. Good job.

11. seagull

seagull What's a Dremel?

Greetings
    I watched the execution this afternoon and it is the most gross, disgusting, cruel, barbaric thing I have ever seen. I know I shouldnt of viewed it and I wish to God that I hadnt. I could have cried! The fact that it was not a quick straightforward 'chop' but a sawing, hacking with a Knife on a innocent man who was bound and screaming was just absolutely sickening.
    How the murdering scum who committed this act can ever justify themselves is just beyond reason. I hope the Fackers are brought to Justice, but I fear this will never happen. I hope they will rot in Hell, this I know will happen.

RIP Nick Berg. In a better place now, never to be hurt ever again.

12. kiljoi

Why would you want to watch something like that?

13. seagull

seagull What's a Dremel?

Greetings
    That is a question I wish I could answer. I suppose a kind of morbid curiosity made me follow the link. Trust me when I say Im really ashamed of myself for doing it.
    Laters

14. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Okay, I see where your coming from now. ;) I thought you were just refering to only such a case as this.

To answer your question of a desire to watch the video, in my case I was linked to it and then got an explaination of what it was. I don't normally search out such things, but I don't shy away from them either; I'm a rather disturbed, desensitized fellow, so for me it wasn't anything all that big, aside from attacking a bound un-armed man being so dishonourable, however considering their goals, I doubt honour was high up on their list.

15. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

i may be inviting a flaming here.

but it seems to me its partially his fault for being such an idiot and going to look for a job in a war zone.... think of it as darwinism in action.

yes, beheading him was wrong. yes, putting it online was wrong

but ask urself is it anyworse then the stuff the coalition has done?
    for example the video of the apache mowing people down thats been online.

the pictures of prisoners being tortured/abused (i still can't work out the supposed difference between the terms according to our governments)

the pictures of saddam's sons all over our news....

not to mention the coalition killing 100's if not thousands of innocents...

i find it a sad indictment of modern society that this murder of one person (who was fool enough to go there), seems to outweigh all the other deaths.

16. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

And, as Hazza says, is an individual's "terror" any worse than state sponsored "terror"?

Now, before you all get on your high horses, I am not condoning what these people have done. If they get caught, they should face the full consequences. However, I do think that we have to keep things in perspective...

Sam

17. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

Erm....well, when Saddam did it it was torture, and when we do it its only abuse. Which makes it ok or something... :wallbash:

There was a good letter in the paper yesterday, went something like this

"A few years ago there was a dictatorship in Iraq which tortured and abused prisoners on a daily basis. We also believed that this reigime had weapon's of mass destruction...oh. Wait. Hang on a minute...."

Sam

18. fg0d

fg0d Banned

You know what? I love you. You bring justice. This is not sick, this is balance. Americans have been killing everyone in sight, in every war the have been involved with. Lets go back a while... 1700, Revolutionary War is over, Paxton boys Massacre, Americans kill thousands of Natives. Pearl Harbor, Asains put into camps, some executed... It runs in history... I think those people deserve it because they represent people of evil.

@RTT: I dont want to come onto you, not wanting to be banned... I am of Islamic faith. Yes, these people are twisting our religion, and our god "Allah (S.A.W) has nothing to do.. THey will be punished. The religios factor is not them, they do not represent islamics

19. czechmodder

np, guess i just understood it the wrong way. no harm done

the thing that pisses me off the most is people and their double standards. you just cant expect people to see you do one thing (ie invade iraq) and not see retaliation. of course, its absolutely greusome, but you cant have 2 extremes coexist. if only people could talk to each other about their problems and come to a compromise.

20. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

Anyone remember the 4 contractors that were burned in their car? Or has everyone forgotten already?

The execution is something that happens. Nick's just happened to be taped and leaked onto the internet. The whole ordeal is ****** up.

How can you be so inhumane as to ask why a CONTRACTOR (one who builds, or in the case of Iraq, rebuilds) would look for work in a war zone? The U.S. has stated that it is rebuilding Iraq. Of COURSE they need contractors. What the hell do you think we're going to rebuild it with, hopes and good intentions? Use your head, please, for one second, and realize that this man was over there doing his job and minding his own business.

Yes, he's a casualty of war, I realize that. It still does not prevent me from getting very upset at this. It's morally wrong to post a video of another man's execution. I'm saddened at this. I think that if the U.S. is going to act as police for the world, it needs to hold itself to much higher moral standards than making Iraqi POWs recreate "gay" sex. That's ****** up.

I kind of rattled on, but I hope you get my point(s).