1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Really small budget build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by muzzh, 1 Sep 2014.

1. muzzh

muzzh What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone,

I used to be a part of this forum years and years ago but completely forgot my login so started a new one.

I am only working a few hours a week ATM and to fill my spare time I'm hoping to build a PC for some VERY light gaming (Minecraft and DayZ standalone) I literally won't be using it for anything else.

I know what I need to build a computer but I've never really been able to learn what's what with how good things are.

I posted on another forum and got a great response, but totally forgot that they only spec components from the forums shop (which is completely understandable) and the shop is a little bit more expensive than other sites.

I have the pc case (ATX), OS, Keyboard, Mouse and will use my TV as a monitor until I can afford a proper one.

I am hoping to upgrade once I start working more hours again but not until another game is released that I want to play enough to upgrade.

I am not too fussed about high settings or anything but the higher the settings the better.

after a little tweeting from my spec I received I came up with this:

Mobo: MSI H81M-E33 (£31)
    CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 Haswell Dual-Core 3.2GHz BX80646G3258 (£43)
    HDD: SanDisk 64 GB Ultra Plus SATA III (£34)
    RAM: HyperX Fury Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 HX316C10F/8 (£42)
    GPU: MSI HD 7770 GHz Edition 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express (£60)
    PSU: EVGA 430W White 80PLUS Certified PSU (£30)

total: £239

Is there anything that needs changing?

Thanks in advance

Murray

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I think you've done a pretty good job there. It's probably even overkill for what you want it for to be honest, if you want to keep the budget as low as possible consider trimming down to 4GB, dropping the SSD (game load times are far less influenced by SSDs than OS boot speeds).

I'd probably look to buy second hand components and put them in a new case of my chiuce personally.

But what you've specced will easily rival a "next gen" console in most cases.

3. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

This. Why does everyone keep recommending "at least 8gb" for every single system? 4GB is still plenty. I'm gaming with 4GB and I have no problems. I've never run out of memory.

Its a budget build so stick to 4GB. You'll be absolutely fine. If you want to upgrade to 8GB later, then put in a single 4GB stick now. The real world difference between single and dual channel isn't that noticeable, really.

Your build looks just fine. I would have gone with the Corsair CX430 PSU, but thats just my choice. If you want to save even more money, drop the 7770 for a 6670. I'm using one and gaming at 1440x900 and I'm running most games on medium/high settings.

4. muzzh

muzzh What's a Dremel?

thanks for your help, I had a quick look for a cheaper HDD but as I'm not looking for much storage I couldn't find one cheaper. I dropped down to 4GB as you suggested. Would £60 on a standalone make much difference over the on-board graphics card?

thanks again

5. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Yeah stick to a discrete gpu. It will always outperform the onboard gpu, unless you've got an AMD APU build.