1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming World of Warships Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 25 Aug 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

This is the only "World of" game I'm interested in, hopefully. Fingers crossed the rest of the development works out well, and they don't rely too much on ridiculous monetisation schemes.

3. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

I also hope they don't "dumb down" gunnery/weapons too much. That said, hopefully it doesn't get too darned granular in gunner. I don't want auto-aim mechanisms, but hopefully it'll be easy to elevate and traverse the guns while also manuevering the ship (and maybe some vague map based or what not method of showing rough "fall of shot" ahead of time aids).

4. alleyne

alleyne What's a Dremel?

This looks like it could be a real winner, bring it on!

5. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

6. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

This is the one I've been waiting for after WoT. I'm hoping that it will be spectacular. One thing that possibly concerns me is that the time is still set at 15 minutes, just like WoT. Might be a bit short for some battles (or the epic one I'm hoping for), but I guess we will wait to see.

7. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

+1

8. BD Hopkins

BD Hopkins What's a Dremel?

This is disingenuous at best. In WoT, purchase-only, premium ammo gives you higher penetration and thus a better chance to damage enemy tanks and kill enemy crew. While this does indeed speed up progression, it also gives you an actual advantage on the battlefield.

Also, you can buy your way to instantly-upgraded tank parts for your unlocked tank, giving you a clear advantage over someone who just unlocked the tank and needs to grind their way to those same upgrades. While users could technically wait to play a new tank once they can afford all of the upgrades, this does not reflect what usually happens, as it is much more efficient to upgrade the parts of the tank while playing the tank you are trying to upgrade, instead of using XP/Credits from the general pool that accrue at a much slower rate.

Last edited: 27 Aug 2014
  9. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

You can buy premium ammo with in game silver credits - no need to use real money.

On your second point, while technically true, I don't believe that's what usually happens (at least not if you read the WoT thread in this forum). Wargaming have to give people who want to pay real money something, or else people won't pay. Yes they can upgrade quicker, that's the benefit you have to weigh up when you play the game.

Personally, I've only paid out a little for extra garage slots, which is similar to what many on these forums have done.

10. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Looking forward to this

11. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

I just got a massive deja-vu, sounds almost exactly like Navy Field. Hopefully WoWS won't be the failboat that was Navy Field 2, that's how my friend and I ended up playing WoT in the first place.

Your argument is fail - those rounds are not purchase only and anyone who logs enough play time knows when to use them and how many they can use per battle without breaking the bank. Spamming premium ammo constantly is a complete waste of time (in the vast majority of tanks - there a couple of exceptions to that rule). A lot of people moan about premium ammo in game - most of them can't even tell when it's hitting them, don't know how to buy it for silver, don't know how to use it and over-value it's contribution to the game.

As far as the person in the stock tank is concerned, whether your opponent leveled to a fully-spec'd tank or bought it makes no difference what-so-ever.

12. BD Hopkins

BD Hopkins What's a Dremel?

I stand corrected on the ammo for WoT, as I wasn't aware of this change since I last played. To be fair, WoT ran for 1.5 years with gold-only premium ammo before finally making its purchase possible with silver in patch 8.1:

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/17/premium-shells-will-be-available-purchase-credits/

Hopefully I can be forgiven for assuming otherwise.

13. Taua

Taua What's a Dremel?

really looking forward to this game, as a big fan of eve online and POTBS, i've always yearned for a more contemporary-inspired game, and hopefully the game play that will emerge from this.

Tags: Add Tags