1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Which IPS monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpAceman, 16 Oct 2013.

1. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

I'm looking for a 1920x1200 IPS monitor.

I have narrowed down my final decision to either a Dell U2412M or an LG 24EB23PY.
    Both seem to have the same LG manufactured panel from what I can tell from the specs and the connectivity is pretty much the same. Main difference I can tell is the Dell has a four port USB hub while the LG has two ports, the LG also has a built in speaker. Not that I really care about those features.

Links:
    Dell U2412M
    LG 24EB23PY

I have had some brief real world use with the Dell before and was impressed by the build quality. I do intend to go find an LG in a shop to look at. Does anyone have some knowledge about either monitor that may help my decision? What is LG's IPS monitor build quality like? Any input would be great.

Thanks in advanced for any advice you guys may have.

2. kissinger

kissinger Minimodder

The last LG monitor I owned had better build quality than the last Dell I owned, if that helps.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Can you please be specific. Dell has 80$ crap monitors, like they have 1500$ high quality ones, with excellent warranty coverage, for 3 years, and shipping paid both directions.

4. SpAceman

Yea general build quality varies a lot between various models in each manufacturers range so I'm not too bothered by that. Mainly just the affordable IPS models. I have a 17" Dell LCD that is nearly 10 years old and being used as a door-stop that has far better build quality than the 22" 1080p LG that I have been using for a bit over 4 years has.

Thanks for the input though.

I might add that both monitors have a 3 year warranty. Dell having paid-for shipping is a bonus although the company LG uses for repairs in my city is only a 30 min drive away and they were very easy to deal with the one time I made a claim.

Do Dell prefer to repair and return or are they more of a replace, refurbish and resell company?

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

They provide you with a refurbished (assuming it's after the return window, else a new monitor), but Dell has a reputation of providing good refurbished, like new status. You need to have some bad luck to get one with cosmetic issues.

6. Deders

Deders Modder

LG will pick up your monitor from your door and deliver it back to you for free if it needs servicing.

7. qualalol

qualalol What's a Dremel?

I have a U2412M -- it's a solid monitor. Unfortunately the second one I ordered (both via amazon) came with a yellow tint hence I returned it -- this seems to be a not unknown issue, but on the other hand seems to be limited to a small number of monitors too.

(Price wise your best off looking at scan or amazon though, they both claim they have the 3 year onsite warranty -- i.e. roughly £220 as opposed to £320 from Dell.)

No idea about the LG, but the Dell has been widely used and tested, so seems like a fairly low risk option.

8. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I requested the Dell U2412M's in our labs.

We have about 40 of them.

No reports of anything but Awesomeness so far.

9. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

+1 for the Dell 2412

and iirc Aria are the cheapest

10. SpAceman

All the engineering department labs at my university have UltraSharp 2208WFP or Professional P2213 monitors. They are very popular.

Unfortunately Scan don't ship to New Zealand and the shipping costs for Amazon would be too high :hehe:

I have a local retailer here that will do the Dell for NZ$458 which is roughly inline with the exchange rate when it comes to technology, get the UK price including VAT and double it.. Comparatively Dell NZ sell them for NZ$519 which is cheaper than I would have thought.

It's looking like the general consensus is Dell for being tried and tested while LG is relatively unproven.. The decision is looking to be Dell. I will try and make time to track down an LG at one of the retailer's stores when I am in town for uni tomorrow so I can have a good hands on touchy-feely session with it to see if I like it or not.

Thanks for all the help guys. :thumb:

11. SpAceman

Thought I would make a quick update for anyone who may be interested. I found one of the LG monitors (24EB23PY) at a retailer to look at and decided it seemed a bit cheap in terms of the design and the build quality. Ended up getting the Dell which arrived a few days ago. Build quality is so much better.

12. hakank

hakank What's a Dremel?

What about the Asus VN248H ?

13. SpAceman

Not 1920x1200 and doesn't have the fully adjustable stand. These are a must have for many people.
    The Asus P-series monitors that are 1920x1200 and do have a decent stand are significantly more expensive (at least here in New Zealand) so I never considered them.