1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Slowdown After folding@home installed/run

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Kamikaze-X, 30 Apr 2009.

1. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

hiya guys,

i don't know if its just conincidence, but i've noticed im getting slow down on my system on things such as menus/quick launch bar/ windows loading in general, and its onyl really started since installing the GPU2 client again.

i had a similar thing happen on my system when i had my old motherboard, but this is at most a month old install of XP Pro SP2.

before the install, the menus etc were instantly responsive, unlike now, when i have to reload the quick launch to even be able to see the icons.

is there actually any link between f@h or is it just coincidence?

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Using the GPU2 client you'll be running your GPU at 100% load so it will slow things down a bit.

3. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

It also depends a lot on your GPU. As far as ATI cards are concerned the higher-end cards can cope with larger data transfers to the GPU without causing 2D slowdowns, however the default data packet size is too much for lower-end cards. Mike Houston from AMD/Stanford is working on intelligent matching of packet size to card ability, but this isn't available in the current FahCores.

4. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

i get a lot of slowdown even when the client isnt running though, and its only since i reinstalled it.

5. uncle_fungus

Hmm, are you sure that the FahCore is actually being closed when the client isn't running? Look for FahCore_xx.exe (where xx = 11 to 14) If those aren't running it isn't Folding@home that's causing the problem.

6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Even after a reboot?

Strange. Check your drivers and make sure the progs not set to load on startup

7. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

yep, msconfig-ed out the service on startup, but i still get the issue.

does the core run dormant in background services at all?

8. uncle_fungus

It shouldn't do. Have you actually checked to see if it is running?

9. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

yeah, and it isnt, but i do remember in the past havin this issue witht he CPU console client running even atfer being told to shut down.