1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Geforce 260 GTX in Antec SOLO - [56K warning]

Discussion in 'Modding' started by GoodBytes, 1 Aug 2008.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Hello,

This is my first "mod" ever, and the first time I use a Dremel (rotary tool).
    Before I start, I would like to apologies for the gorilla photographing, it's an old camera, and lighting was quiet bad.

As you may know, the Antec SOLO (mid tower case) is unable to support 10.5inch video cards, because the case was released before such video card was out. The Antec SOLO has the same interior layout than the Antec Sonata Designer 500, Antec Plus 550 and the Antec P150.

My Antec SOLO is one year old, and I wanted the Geforce 260 GTX, and well, it's one of those oversize, over-heating video cards, so I knew it won't fit.
    No fit = Mod.. I mean I am not going to buy a new case just for that.

What is needed:
    - One of the mentioned computer case where a 10.5inch video card won't fit.
    - A Dremel (aka rotary tool)
    - A Cut-off Disk for hard metal (remember Antec cases are in steal). I used Fiberglass-reinforced cut-off disk
    - A old broken cable.

Cost:
    - Dremel: 14.99$ Canadian (no joke... probably will brake after a few uses, but I don't' think I'll use it again)
    - Cut-off disk: 7.99$ Canadian (pack of 5)
    - Old broken cable: Free

Preparation:
    - Safety First: Perform this outside. While cutting you will have smoke that comes out (thin powder from the cut-off disk that is being used and steal). This is not good for you. Where safety glasses and preferably a mask.
    - Read instruction manual of the tool before using them to know how to use it properly and know what settings to set it to, to be able to cut what you want.
    - Have all your hardware FAR away from where you are cutting, tinny tinny bits of metal will fly over and can damage your component if they get hit.
    - Protect the paint of the case... these tinny metal shards WILL scratch the paint.
    - Insure to unplug your Dremel before changing the bade.
    - Take your time. You don't want to miss your shot, or cut your fingers. It's hard to play games with this particular video card without fingers.

Stuff I learned:
    - When using the dremel, make sure to stop, when the cutting blade start to get orange/red, else they will brake.

Ok let's start.

Case in question:
    [​IMG]
    > Make sure to remove all parts inside of the case, including the black plastic HDD holder, and optical drive.

Video card in question:
    [​IMG]

The problem:
    [​IMG]
    > Fails to fit.
    > You may need to temporary insert the motherboard to ensure that you have your measurement correct. Using a pencil to mark is works great.

14.99$ Dremel
    [​IMG]
    > BTW it did a great a job! I am impressed for 15$. How can you go wrong with a name like Jobmate! :lol:

Cut Cut cut:
    [​IMG]
    > I was unable to cut perfectly straight as the dremel had a hard time to "fit" in the case to reach properly the marked measurement.

> How to cut: Cut the edges a bit, and cut the interior long part, then finish cutting the rest.
    > Make sure to use a brush to remove any last attached metal shards.
    > You may want to use a sanding blade to smooth the cut part so that you don't cut yourself.

Broken old cable:
    [​IMG]
    > We will use this to put it around the cut part to prevent the case from scratching the video card and cut yourself.

Cable cut.. guts removed:
    [​IMG]
    > With a cutting blade, cut trow the cable to remove the guts of the cable.
    > Cut where the cable text is, so that it won't be visible in the case.

Now your case should be filed with metal shards and metal dust. THIS CAN CONDUCT ELECTRICITY. Ensure you hyper deeply clean your case... vacuum is not enough. You want the case squeaky clean!

If you used water, ensure that your case is extra dry before assembling your computer.

Assemble your computer. Notice that the part where your video card is located, it won't hold your HDD anymore, you must put it on top or bellow.
    My HDD setup uses the suspension system.

End result (updated)
    [​IMG]

Closer:
    [​IMG]

Cooling tips:
    This video card heats up a lot, and if you got this case I believe that you had "silent computing" in mind. So this is what you can do to have both worlds. NOTE, all fans are on their lowest settings.
    - Install 2x quiet 92mm fan on the frontal part of the case (the case support that). As you notice the video card is like a plate and blocks air flow (creates some sort of chamber). The bottom 92m fan will give fresh air to the HDD video card. The top will give fresh air to the motherboard, CPU, and PSU.
    - If you have noticed on the picture above, I remove 2 back plates. This is done for improved air flow (air flow going out). This helped.
    - If you have a CPU cooler like mine with a fan controller (mine is hidden), and if you set it to the lowest speed, you may want to increase the fan just a tad bit to help move more air out the case... (increase the fan CPU speed a tinny bit, it should add just a tinny tinny tinny bit of noise, nothing noticeable when the case is closed). If you don't, you may want to change the default 120mmm back fan to a better one that pushes more air out, or increase that fan speed.

Result.... Well I don't have 2x 92mm fans yet on my case in the front. I put a 1x quiet 80mm fan and the other the fan (running at lowest speed) the CPU fan of the default heat-sink of the CPU. So you can see I need to replace those. But so far I have 52 degree Celsius under long hours of idle, and 56-60C idle. Case open and GPU idle: 46C. I expect by putting the 2x 92mm fans I should get better cooling. Especially that the CPU fan that I am using now barely pushes air... I mean even putting a tissue in front of the fan it barely pushes it out.

Last edited: 24 Mar 2010
  2. ynih

ynih What's a Dremel?

GTX works too!

This is my first post, and I'd figure I'd pitch in. I have a few pictures to show what I did, but I will post them in the next post, I don't think I can post pictures on the first post. I didn't have a dremel, so I just used a $1 hacksaw blade and my neighbor's triangular file to get the same cut.

3. ynih

ynih What's a Dremel?

I didn't cut a square since if you look at the picture below, it's not actually a square, more like a sideways trapezoid.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the cut:
    [​IMG]
    Some more pictures of the card:
    [​IMG]
    Clear screen tape:
    [​IMG]
    It's seated into the drive bay...luckily I cut the other side...
    [​IMG]
    There's barely any clearance:
    [​IMG]
    And of course some noctua fans to go with my Solo:
    [​IMG]
    And aero cool fan monitor
    [​IMG]

4. ynih

ynih What's a Dremel?

I installed two of Nexus' 92mm fans in the front intake (took the filter off). Highly recommended for this case, especially if you got a power hungry hog like this. Also pci slots with holes in them work wonders.

5. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

You should see my mod of an Antec Super LanBoy to fit my 8800gtx, I literally sawed through the hard drive bay thing and then bent the frame with my hand till there was enough room. Took about 5 minutes

6. GoodBytes

ok well I found 1 quiet 92mm fan witch I put at the bottom frontal fan slot. I just used that one for testing, and my heating issue is totally resolved. This includes with the fan filter. Under load I am at 70-75C, idle I am at 48-50C. So I added bnack my 80mm fan on the top fan slot (for the CPU), just to gain 2-3 degree C, and keept my CPU un idle at 38C where the fan doesn't turn.

7. GoodBytes

@ynih, Did you change the PCI/PCI-E case back plates, or is that new with the newer revision of the case?
    Also, is that an X-Fi at the bottom most slot of the case? If, so it's funny how we have the same configuration :)

What material you use to protect the edges of the case around your fan where you cut?

As for your memory card reader, does it appear like 20 removable drives in "Computer" like most do even thus there is no card in?

Finally, what does the screen give you?

8. typewriter

typewriter What's a Dremel?

I used a (good) metal plier, much better than a Dremel, no metal chips. Fast too, did it in 20 sec.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Sep 2009
  9. GoodBytes

Wow, it really looks like things are missing in the computer.
    Very nicely done.

This is a revision of my cable management.
    [​IMG]

I dont' know how you hid the HDD so well.

10. typewriter

typewriter What's a Dremel?

Thanks alot. I like your build too.

Regarding the HDD, I just pushed it in.

[​IMG]

11. GoodBytes

Oh ok, I see.
    I have a frontal fan there, so I can't bring it closer. Also I put the HDD on reverse (The one on top is not connected.. it's removed now).

12. disnemar

disnemar What's a Dremel?

What about hd4890 or hd5850??

Are they going to fit in this case without any "modifications"???

13. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Apparently the 5850 is 11 inches, so it's longer than the GTX285. the 4890 is about the same size as the 285 so some modification may be needed

14. disnemar

But hd5850 is 9.5"/24cm long...

Isn't that true???

15. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Ah, my bad, I must have got confused with the 5870

The 5850 is an inch shorter than the GT200 cards, so theoretically it should fit

16. disnemar

I wonder if there are any pictures of hd58.... in this case.;)

17. GoodBytes

It's apparently, longer... so you'll need to cut more.

18. disnemar

You mean hd5850??

Longer than what: 260??

19. GoodBytes

20. disnemar

All right, but I'm thinking of hd5850.

I know that , for example. hd4870 fits in that case and I wonder if hd 5850 will as well.