1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Help me pick a tablet please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrisb2e9, 24 Nov 2013.

1. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Hello everyone,
    My HP touchpad is dieing a slow death. aside form the hardware being old, apparently overclocking it to 1.9 wasn't the best idea...

I'm looking at getting a new tablet. I want one with a keyboard dock as I hate typing on a touch screen.
    I don't want a full on laptop... I want a hybrid so that I can be productive when I need to be. and not when I don't want to be. if that made sense....

My choices so far have been, microsoft surface 2 pro. I want the pro because if I am going to go the windows route. I want legacy support.

For android, the asus Tf701T

these are the two contenders as I see it. If someone has an alternative suggesting, please throw it out there!!

Thanks for any input

Chris

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Surface Pro 2 I think it's the best choice.
    If you are tighter budget, then your have the Dell Venue 11 Pro, but you don't save a lot. You have reduce performance by a bit slower CPU, and I don't know if the fanless design would me throttling under heavy usage.

I want to buy the Surface Pro 2, it's sold everywhere, except the 64GB model, which to be honest.. it's a horrible purchase. For 100$ more you double the storage. Already 120GB is on the tight side, with the OS backup being stored on the device.

I went to a retail store and check it out, very solid system, and well designed.
    For fun I tried settings the display at 100% DPI (normal default Windows settings), 1080p resolution, I was impressed, I could perfectly read everything. I see myself using it at this setting. At worst 125% DPI as a compromise.

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

lumia 2520 is also an option, i didn't like the new MS type cover compared to the previous model. maybe nokia's is better?

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The lumia 2520 is running on Windows RT.

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I'm looking at the 2520 as well as I want a phone upgrade and the 1520 or the 1020 are both appealing (currently using Lumia 800) and the full-fat Office on the 2520 would be great for work.

I've found tablets to be more infuriating to decide upon than PC components! :D

6. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Hi guys,
    My boss suggested the lumia 2520. But like goodbytes pointed out, it's windows RT and I don't want that.
    After an afternoon nap i'm thinking maybe just get a laptop. the surface pro 2 128gb model is 1,000 bucks as it is.
    Or I could just get it, as there is nothing wrong with it really. and no one seemed to suggest the asus android tablet.

7. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

android isn't a particularly good platform for productivity imo

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Depends what you want it for. Surface pro 2 is good for productivity and running football manager. Andriod is alot more useful for entertainment purposes and casual gaming.

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Wish they would sell the 64GB versions here too... Only versions you can get in Slovakia are the 32GB and 32GB+500GB ones. In other words, the usual stuff - Surface ? Nah, those "poor people" from Central Europe (who are part of EU and Eurozone) don't need it. Higher capacity SSD ? They don't need it... :wallbash: Even worse, T100TA is not on sale yet (middle of December they say).

11. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I went 50/50 with mum on getting dad a Surface 2 for christmas, and after tinkering with it for a little while, I'm itching to get my hands on the 2520. Sadly there is no release date in Ireland for the damned thing, never mind the Power Keyboard that goes alongside it! Rather frustrating to be honest as I've saved, earned and set-aside money for getting myself a solid first tablet.

12. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Lenovo Yogabook 2?

13. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I thought the new Transformer pad dock doesn't come with an integrated battery? Somewhat of a departure from previous models. I have an older TF100T which has been brilliant.

They are cheap 'n' cheerful pads that offers full Windows 8.1, excellent battery life, Office 2010, excellent connectivity (mini HDMI, USB3).

The only negative I have is that the screen is obviously built down to the cheap cost. Its only a 1366 x 768 IPS panel, but poor back lighting makes viewing in direct light problematic.

On a side also, there have been issues with a recent Windows update causing boot issues, but that is more on Microsoft and nothing a future update wouldn't solve.

14. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Picking up my 2520 today :D