1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Kinect Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Nov 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

That's exactly what I thought about it. Not really anything better (or worse) than a polished Wii games collection with a hell of a lot of (as of yet unused) potential.

So... I'd say we all wait for 6 months, see of what quality new games are and re-review it again, eh? :thumb:

3. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

Should me make a thread and try to guess the date that the 1st SimSex launches? :p :lol: :duh:

4. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

£180 quid? Rofl no thanks, ill just get the gf a wii :D
    £180 for a peripheral is just madness

5. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

um, that's odd. i saw it for £125 at GAME on thursday

6. veato

veato I should be working

I though the RRP was £129.99 too?

I certainly wont be rushing out to get one but I can see potential in the device. I just hope that turns into realised potential.

7. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

its 125... still too pricey (though I bought it ;-)

Now in the scale of things there are many of us here for which 125 for a bit of a blast isn't all that much cash and those are the people who this is for (similarly we should not have a go at pete j for buying 3 480's and then 3 580's wow! loved the review btw !)

These people are dads (lets face it) who have the box in the living room (I live in a dutch narrow house and still have 8 foot). Chatting to a chap at the game store, he was undecided, I said it was great, he noted he wanted it in the bedroom (online chat???) I said he was f**cked (but thankfully now not in online chat)

Regarding the facial recognition - it's worked perfectly for us but then thats one adult male, one adult female and 2 kids of disparate ages.... maybe you all look alike? Certainly you need to configure it a few times in different light - it seems to be a learning system (Takes me back to my nural networks (good tit bad tit))

the games are fun the menu's work well, it takes less time to setup than getting the bloody wii controllers to sync (why am I so bad at that?)

however big and most important minus is that IT DOESNT WORK WITH STREAMED CONTENT HOW F**KED IS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. tom_hargreaves

tom_hargreaves Comfy shoe wearer

£130 is still overpriced.

9. shadow12

shadow12 I lie

The price and its currently limited usage on the XBox is a crime. But if you are looking for some inspiration of what to do with it have a look at the OpenKinect project.

10. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Play.com's price has dropped to £164.99 since the article was written, so the article has been corrected.

11. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

If you like messing around with computer vision then £130 is a bargain for a 3D camera. By the sound of it the only thing Kinect's got going for it at the moment is that you have to be really stupid to break your TV :)

12. memeroot

" the only thing Kinect's got going for it at the moment is that you have to be really stupid to break your TV"

when I came down this morning I found my kid jumping around playing kinnect adventures... its good exercise - whether it lasts more than a week is questionable....

when ea releases their sports game I'll buy it for similar reasons... perhaps the family should go out jogging... but its cold and wet.

13. Zippededo

Zippededo What's a Dremel?

Microsoft should be embarrassed about the release games they have lined up for this. It just looks so much like they're ripping Nintendo off. Even the new dash board both looks and sounds Wii like and to top it off, the current TV adverts could easily be mistaken for a Wii commercial.

Technically it's far better than the Wii, but Microsoft need to do their own thing with this.

14. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Out of the three systems, it would seem Sony has the lead from a technical point of view. MS have gone with their controller free system and it's going to have limitations. £130 isn't too bad if it can be made effective enough (in time) to replace a Wii with four controllers, four nunchucks, a dance mat, a step etc.

Personally I think it needs a controller, you can't do a decent FPS (or even a rubbish one), or a proper racing game without some sort of button. I wonder if MS will produce a small wireless controller to provide buttons. Or maybe a naff power glove rip off.

15. Zippededo

Zippededo What's a Dremel?

I agree. Sony were realistic about this and added the navigation controller. It could take MS a while to add anything, as a) they can argue that the existing wireless controllers can be used and b) Releasing a sub controller would make a mockery of their 'you are the controller' mantra.

'You are the controller, but for an extra £14.99, here is your sub controller', does not have the same ring to it :D

16. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

The RRP is £129.99 at GAME, with Kinect Adventures. £164.99 gets you 1 of 4 games with your Kinect.

17. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I think the release slate is weak, but this might be a bit of a slow burner. The sales figures are there to show some demand, and I'm sure Rare will pop out something decent in time. 130 quid is fairly reasonable I think, especially considering the cost of Move/Wii accessories.

18. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

The release titles have killed it for all of my 360 owning friends. Most of them have wiis too and so don't see the point in getting another controller to play the exact same games. 9Not that the wii is used outside of parties) Hopefully someone will develop something that uses the full potential of kinect as at the moment it just looks like a wii knock off that's years too late.

19. memeroot

most of the hard core kids wont care, families will buy it and people looking for a console may buy it over the wii and ps3 + move because it sounds cool.... (price of console + kinnect competes v well with both ps3 and wii)

its not there for FPS - you have a controller for that
    its not for driving - you have a wheel for that

now where is skype for 360?

20. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

My future brother-in-law bought Kinect for his X-Box and the whole family spent a good few hours playing around with it. Of course, that was after we'd rearranged the entire living room to accomodate it, and even then we didn't have quite enough space to play comfortably. Kinect Adventures felt just like Wii Play in that you got the impression the designers started with a list of the controller's capabilities and had to write games to show off each one.

Then we booted up Kinect Sports and spent a few hours with the Bowling game. The increase in production value over Wii Sports is obvious from the outset, which I'm damn glad of seeing as how it's a £40 title and not a freebie. Milking it a bit, aren't we M$? I must say we did thoroughly enjoy ourselves, especially my soon-to-be mother-in-law whose straight-throwing bowling style was perfectly read by the software every time. The rest of us liked using spin but the software only seem to register it properly (or at all) 2 times out of 3. The camera had no trouble tracking us, it was the software failing to interpret our moves.

Which finally brings me to the point. MS is so late to the party now that software problems like this just can't be tolerated anymore and let the entire package down. It's programmers are less experienced with motion control and it shows. Badly. Yeah, we had fun, but £200 worth of fun? Hell no!

Tags: Add Tags