1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress outcaster - Updated 30/11/11

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by RedManc, 9 Oct 2011.

1. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Now then!!
    I caught the custom pc bug a few months back when I was considering whether or not I needed a new computer, so after deciding I should probably save my money I started putting a list of parts together ;) Which ill go through below.

Things which are not excuses but good to know for those people who are looking at all these mods and thinking WOW! i wish i could do that.

• I have NEVER built a PC
    • I DO NOT own a dremel ;)
    • Zero experience with modding
    • Hardly anytime with work and college
    • This WILL be the greatest thing I have ever created ;)

So the parts list would be a nice place to start I guess ... wheres that invoice :geek:

SYSTEM

• [Case] Coolermaster ATCS 840
      [CPU] Intel i7 2600k Unlocked
      [Motherboard] Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
      [Memory] 2x4gb Corsair Dominator
      [Hard Drive] Corsair 120gb Force GT (SSD)
      [Graphics Card] Gainward 1280mb GTX570 Phantom
      [Power Supply] BeQuiet Dark Power 850W
      [Optical Drive] LG Blu-ray Drive
      [OS] Windows x64 7 Pro

COOLING

• [CPU] EK Supreme HF Nickel
      [Motherboard] :waah: Air cooled due to lack of stock
      [Memory] EK Dominator Nickel
      [Hard Drive] Air cooled due to lack of money now (see list above) ;)
      [Graphics Card] EK FC5X0 GTX Plexi + Nickel & EK 5x0 GTX Backplate
      [Radiator] EK Coolstream RAD XT 360 (probably going to add an additional 2x240 ina second loop)
      [Pump] Laing DDC w/ EK X TOP-V2 & Red ORing when I come around to shopping again
      [Reservoir] Phoyba 150 Balancer Nickel/Silver

Queue some TERRIBLE photos, but be patient I have listened and my tripod is on the way to the office!

Unboxing...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MY FIRST EVER MOD!!!
    [​IMG]

Getting a little braver..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MUST NOT LOOSE ANY SCREWS!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Dec 2011
    Device Unknown likes this.
  2. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

That's a good start.
    Best you could do is take everything out of the case so It will be much easier to work!.
    Is it easy to disamble the ATCS?

Nice water cooling parts!
    Which HDD block would you use if you had the money? I'm curious!

3. Device Unknown

Device Unknown What's a Dremel?

These are the mods I love to watch. Exciting to watch a new modder do his first MOD. Just be weary, everyone and their brother will be trying to tell you how you "should" do things. You obviously did your homework. Stick with it.

4. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Thanks xSoMBrAx, yeah the case was simple to dismantle, only problem ive hit it the motherboard tray. The bottom runner which has ballbearings in, I don't havea screw driver which will fit so i'm on the look out for an offset screwdriver today. As for the HDD, I haven't even look if im honest its just I know I have already spent what money I have left for this puter ;)

Thanks Device Unkown, ill take all the advise and critisims anyone has to throw at me but like you say there are a million and one ways to do different things just finding the ones which work best for me I guess.

Anyway I picked up some primer uesterday and im going to give the inside of the case a bit of a face lift if I can today, other than that I've jumped the gun and assembled the gpu and other bits and bobs :)
    Pictures to follow....

5. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

I will be watching this build never really modded anything myself don't own all these awesome tools and my cable managment sucks a**hole.When my current rig gets older and i think of replacing it, i will try this and that(mod wize) but at the moment its my only rig so do not want to try anything risky.

Even went for the lazy corsair H80 for a Water cooling.

Good luck dude Inspire me to grow some LOL

6. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

So I ripped apart a great looking graphics cards and made it look even better :)

[​IMG]

And ive played with the motherboard a little bit

[​IMG]

I'm not sure im convinced with apperance of the 2 Corsair modules under such a big block, so I have three options.

1. Buy 2 more RAM Modules
    2. Buy the EK RAM-Dominator x4 (Saw this days after getting my block :jawdrop:)
    3. All of the above ;)

7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Buy more ram, it's so cheap these days it would be rude not to...looking good by the way.

8. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Thanks for watching Towelie, I don't own a load of awesome tools so there nothing to stop you. I have a set of screw drivers, an idea as well as unlimited amounts of blind faith!

I'd take some time looking and learning from other logs taking ideas into your own build one day. Ive seen some things which I will use from other peoples builds because they are great ideas, imitation is the greatest form of flattery after all.

I wouldn't say the H80 is lazy its just ugly ;)

Think that might be the best idea, just waiting for some to come into stock:wallbash::wallbash:

Anyway on with an little update. I got a tripod yesterday and ive finally used my camera for more than christmas and holidays :)

I'm waiting for the rain to stop to carry on with some painting mods but for now please let me know what you think of these hardware shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Oct 2011
  9. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

If you look down through the pics I think that 5,6,7 and 10 are good shots across the board giving some depth, but the side on shot of the blocks and the ram is good also.

That said they are all nice and clear which is the main thing.

I'm probably not the best one to offer advice on photography, I've got a decent camera and a tripod and I'm still crap with it....lol

10. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

Looking very nice!

11. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the comments guys.

I have started a shopping basket for some new RAM its in there but so far the total is £200+ thanks to other bits and pieces I like the look of :naughty::naughty:

Update: Let there be PAINT!!

Well primer if we are being picky.

Took me a couple of hours to make some room in my shed so that I have somewhere to paint the inside of my case in peace. Unfortuneately I have forgotten the before picture but nevermind I could always take one when its a mess again.

[​IMG]

I have now applyed 2 coats of primer to all the pieces which I want white or red which have come off the frame of the case.

[​IMG]
    Motherboard tray and the alternate psu cover plate.

[​IMG]
    Top fan mesh panel, fan mount, bay converter and psu plate

[​IMG]
    quick release buttons for the hdd cage, these might become red or white not sure :)

The next order of business is to give the motherboard tray a little sand and apply a few coats of white paint to these pieces. When they are all done and safely bubble wrapped, I am going to mask the top panel of the case itself and get that painted, should be done by sunday with any luck :)

12. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Nice....how many rads do you plan to put in there?

13. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Two radiators, I havea 360 sat on my desk which I am going to put in the stock location, and Im buying a 240 rad probably next weekend now which will go where the quick-swap bays should be with a fan grill on the side panel for its ventilation.

I would like a second loop but only if I can get a motherboard block and that would require a rethink :)

14. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

A shameless sunday bump :)

So today I spent some time doing a final primer and first coat of paint on some items.
    Also put my hand to wet sanding the already primered motherboard tray and It will be ready for painting over the next few days.

Hopefully the weather doesn't turn too bad

15. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

That motherboard tray is strong as **** man.....I was planning to drill some holes in there, but decided I would be better of leaving it stock.

16. peteski

peteski long live the pc

grate start to your first mod RedManc one day i shall be that first time modder cant wait i got plenty of ideas its just not the right time to start yet :wallbash: :wallbash:

subscribed :rock: :rock: :rock:

17. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Got a nice package from friend of modders worldwide Nils the other day and I've been playing around for a few days with it ... :)

Sleeved the power/reset switches and the hhd/pwr leds ... the heat shrink will need to be redone.
    [​IMG]

A quick bit of cable management
    [​IMG]

An attempt at that super sleeving shot I see so many of.
    [​IMG]

So far I have painted the inside aluminum frame with a few the final bit of white paint.
    The finish is ok for my first spray painting operation. Although next time I need a bigger shed.
    [​IMG]

Painted the top mesh panel also I love the look of this now!
    [​IMG]

And finally a half way shot :) I really do like the look of this puter now I just hope I can get it working :hip:
    [​IMG]

I have a few issues to figure out with regards to the loop.

If anyone is reading this ... HELLO? ... Would a 360 Radiator be enough for this loop or should I add another rad to the mix (120/240) ?? Thanks for any help. The system will not be overclocked it will run run at stock levels.

Also im having great difficulty plugging the usb and audio headers onto the motherboard they just wont budge!!

Oh and the systems name will not be outcaster as voted for or suggested by my gaming outfit.

Keep on Modding!

Last edited: 20 Oct 2011
  18. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

Wait, for a second there it sounded like you said you wont be over clocking?
    Youre pouring all this money into this build and youre running stock frequencies?

Thats a crime man.

19. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Well I first need to be able to get the thing working and then ill decided if I should learn how to overclock as well :)

plus I don't know if i need to overclock for minesweeper hehehe

20. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

http://www.kitcars.com/Classifieds/AdDetails.asp?classified_id=23072

like that :D looks like a Ferrari, runs like a Fiero :lol:

Looking good though :thumb: