1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ WING X99 - A CNC-milled Scratch Build! (Benchmarks,temps and wallpapers posted)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Andreas | Brodholm, 19 Aug 2016.

1. Andreas | Brodholm

Andreas | Brodholm Minimodder

Project
    Wing X99

[​IMG]

Welcome!
    Hello! It is time for a new project that I have been planing over a year now! I also have to give huge thanks to ASUS ROG, INTEL, CORSAIR and EKWB for making this project possible!

New to the build log?
    Don't want to go through all the forum posts? You can easialy check out all the photos posted so far in this Gallery but remember to comment here on what you think after you are done! :clap:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Be sure to comment!
    I very much appreciate comments/criticism on the project as long as it is constructive! And if you have suggestions on improvements be sure to post them! And if you have ANY questions, feel free to post a comment or PM me here or on social media.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2017
  2. Andreas | Brodholm

Update 01 | Design and Renders

Update 01 | Design and Renders

Fist update of the project, the renders. A lot of work has come before this. Approximately 500 hours of planing, designing and drawing. A few things have changed. Due to the nature of renders (time consuming! :wallbash:) I have not updated them for a few minor fixes and design tweaks! :)

Do you want to browse pictures in fullscreen? Here is a link for you!. Then use (View album in fullscreen). BUT! Remember to comment here when you are done! :nono:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The AF logo before WING X99 have been removed and replaced with the WING logo as seen below on the accent line on top of the chassis.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm going to leave it with these render and not show everything right now. Every render takes 1-8 hours to do. And I also want to have some surprises left for you to uncover along the way!

"actual modding" pictures are coming soon. I know that you have to have work in your first post. I consider that rule fulfilled with the amount of work put in so far.

Last edited: 18 Sep 2016
  3. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Finally you are back with another mod.

I smell MOTY potential.

Good luck and have a lot of fun Andreas :)

4. Andreas | Brodholm

Thanks Hukkel! Yeah, was a long time due. The CNC-build set me back in my modding progress :D

Both being very fun and time consuming!

5. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Looking forward to this.

6. SiberianGhost

SiberianGhost What's a Dremel?

Omg, I've waiting for another build from you. Best quality and look, waiting for news!

Sent from my Moto G 2014 using Tapatalk

7. Andreas | Brodholm

Thanks! Means a lot coming from you :)

Thanks! I will be getting new sheets of aluminium next week. (the ones I have now was damaged because of reckless storage next to steel sheets (heavy and deep scratches...) :wallbash:

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

[​IMG]

My body is ready.

9. gavbon

gavbon Extreme Overclocker/PC Anarchist

Can't wait to see the final result :D

10. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

Looking mighty perty so will keep a beady eye on this one

11. Andreas | Brodholm

CNC pictures

I got some more work done on the CNC, realizing I needed even more holes to be able to easily clamping pieces down. I have tapped over 600 holes of M10, sigh... 

Anyway, for those interested in the CNC build, over 2 years of my life have gone into building and designing this thing. If you are not interested please ignore this wall of pictures. Hope this is okay, else some mod can remove the post :)

Some basic info. 3x100W servo motors, 2.2kW Spindle, 18000rpm, 600hz "high torque" model. About 950mm*950mm*200mm of XYZ travel. Designed and built by me :)

[​IMG]
    Initial design/model rendered :)

[​IMG]
    The router chassis have been milled and faced so the aluminum sheet that lays on it will lay as flat as possible

[​IMG]
    Both sides milled in the same mill without letting the setting gobetween the passes.

[​IMG]
    Motor mounting point

[​IMG]
    Faced distances for the aluminium table

[​IMG]
    Holes for the ball screw. We ended up changing this. Going for two ball screws with a drive line between them.

[​IMG]
    Milling the sides

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Milling slots for linear guides on the X-axis

[​IMG]
    Linear guides mounted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    X-axis servo motor seat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Most of the frame done! We ended up changing the arms for 40mm steel thickness because of issues with vibration. Turns out that was not the issue but the machine did get more sturdy because of it.

[​IMG]
    Faceing the Z-axis plates

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Faced and milled Z gantry. These are also grinded in this picture so they are very even in thickness.

[​IMG]
    Testing the servos and controller system. Testing everything in Mach3

[​IMG]
    Testmounted spindle and servos. An 2.2kW, 18000 rpm 600hz "high torque" spindle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Realized that this was a bit messy so I ended up getting a box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    First time together with the protective housings on. You can also see the bigger arms here. 40mm thick steel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Testing for the first time! Not a very good run. Z-axis lost steps like crazy. After several days I finally found the problem. The VFD was giving noise to the Z-stepper motor. I had to get shielded cables and finally ended up putting the VFD on the X-axis to reduce the amount of meters the cables had to go along each other.

[​IMG]
    Made a desk for the computer

[​IMG]
    New shielded cables (orange) and some very much needed paint! Time to assemble everything again...

[​IMG]
    The box I built to house all the different cables. The VFD on the right is not there now (moved to the X-axis). Also fuses and added safety measurements was added.

[​IMG]
    I knew I had to take everything apart so I did not spend that much time fixing this right here.

[​IMG]
    Everything back together after paint, new cables etc!

[​IMG]
    Making a slot for cooling fluid to escape

[​IMG]
    Had to let go of the table and use clamps from underneath the table to hold it down since I did not have the range to do the top slot otherwise...

[​IMG]
    Super pleased at this moment. ap:3mm ae:10 feed:1000mm/m and about 7000 rpm if I remember correctly. Further than this would probably be pushing it.

[​IMG]
    Really need to design a dust shoe to take some of these chips from the beginning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hole for the fluid to escape. Will be making a sieve that fits here.

[​IMG]
    All clean :)

[​IMG]
    Very much pleased with the quality of the cut

[​IMG]
    I was going to start with my projects here. But I realized that I needed to make more holes for clamping and also some kind of sacrificial board in a material that can handle the cutting fluid.

[​IMG]
    Lots and lots of chips, and they are going everywhere in a 2m radius...

[​IMG]
    Chamfers for tapping. Will be faceing this whole surface 0.5mm so don't mind that the chamfer tool was too small :)

[​IMG]
    Run out of battery for the second time here. Doing all these M10 by "hand" was quite taxing, both for me and the power drill! A much needed break

[​IMG]
    I don't have to do all the holes but almost all of them. 18*18 rows of holes (324 holes!!!). But some was done earlier.

[​IMG]
    All done... Thank god...

[​IMG]
    Cleaned the table and was very pleased with the results!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Clamping down the sacrificial board. A 10mm sheet of aluminium that will be faced and 12mm holes will be drilled over all the M10 holes. The plan is to be able to fit 12mm solid shafts to use as guides and also as holes for M10 screws for clamping.

[​IMG]
    All set, waiting for a fresh 12mm end mill and then we are go!

12. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

:jawdrop: Mod in a mod:eeek:

13. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Awesome! That machine looks as solid as a tank. The cuts look super clean, thanks for showing. :thumb:

14. Andreas | Brodholm

While wating for the new aluminium pieces I got some more work done on the router. These improvements should make the chassis much easier to make. I also leaned a whole lot on these parts I made. And made a few mistakes that I learned a lot from. Mistakes I will not make again (I hope)

Anyway, here are the progress so far. Friday should be the day I get the new alu, and I hope to be done with the fixes on the CNC by Thursday/Friday. So it should line up perfectly! Cutting the sheets of alu and making the very first cuts on the project should start next week!. Really excited to really get to use the machine for some fun!

[​IMG]
    Needed to make some custom clamps since I have non. This temporary clamping of the piece have do do for now...

[​IMG]
    This is the reason I had to get new sheets of alu for the project. New sheets will arrive by mid september. I am trying to get as much work as possible done before they arrive to make the CNC more efficient for that project!

[​IMG]
    Getting the clamps done!

[​IMG]
    As seen on the image above. It makes a HUGE mess with the coolant and chips all over the place. This is why I have designed a dust shoe to pick some (hopefully most) of the mess.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Main "holder piece" done!

[​IMG]
    I designed and milled this LED-ring for this holder.

[​IMG]
    Fits perfectly :)

[​IMG]
    3 SMD leds in series with a resistor. Milled with a 0.5mm END MILL. Those are SCARY small. Thought it would break but it held up!

[​IMG]
    Time to get my soldering station fired up!

[​IMG]
    First SMD resistor mounted!

[​IMG]
    First "section" done and tested! Now I just need to solder a few more...

[​IMG]
    All done!

[​IMG]
    Tested with the diode tester on my fluke. You can see the diodes light up slightly and all seem to work!

[​IMG]
    Very bright! Really pleased with the results. With 12V put on they produce a really bright white light.

[​IMG]
    Looking really good if I dare say so myself!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Milled a protective acrylic sheet from a 10mm piece that screws down in the 4 mounting holes. Also 2 o-rings keeps the LED-s safe from water and dust.

[​IMG]
    Did some light flame polishing on the acrylic I cut with coolant. The result was that the surface went from almost clear to less clear. Still a very good result. I have purchased a cold air gun to keep the plastic cool and remove the need for coolant that produces the slightly foggy surface. Also flame polishing 2mm thick acrylic caused it to get very soft and it got a bit skewed so I had to fix that by heating and bending some more to get it straight. Still a very good result.

[​IMG]
    Cable comes out in the back.

[​IMG]
    Light tested and mounted! Success! I hope that the heat will go out in the aluminium seat it is in and not overheat. We will have to see what happens. It should be fine... I hope :)

[​IMG]
    Making the top side for the dust shoe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Top completed

[​IMG]
    A very nice result. This is Polycarbonate that is VERY durable and almost "unbreakable". About 10x more durable than acrylic (PMMA)

[​IMG]
    Same procedure as above with the bottom piece. The small pockets you see here are made to fit 8x5mm N45 neodymium magnets.

[​IMG]
    A very nice surface finish.

[​IMG]
    Did not have the correct screws that I needed so I sanded down some M6 insex screws to fit my needs. I also drilled some holes and sanded down the diameter of the 100mm hose connector and made clearance slots for the magnets.

[​IMG]
    Mounted on the top piece of the shoe.

[​IMG]
    Top and bottom pieces all done! Magnets glued in place and the brush secured with some silicone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Made the clamp with some of the scratched aluminium. Drilled and tapped two M5 holes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All ready to clamp the axles!
    [​IMG]
    Holes for the "snap-fasteners" to secure the shoe in place when doing a tool change.

[​IMG]
    Two teflon bushings pushed in place to ensure low friction.

[​IMG]
    Sanded down the cylinders to the correct diameter.

[​IMG]
    All fitted! All that's needed now is to attach the hose and connect the wires.

15. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

As great as your build is, it kind of sucks having to wait 10 mins for the page to load to see a screw thread at 4k pixels. In the end I had to stop the page loading.

16. RooiDuiwel

RooiDuiwel What's a Dremel?

pfffft, not even interested in seeing the case modding anymore...

as long as you keep posting updates like this on the CNC :D

but yeah, although the pictures are awesome in HQ, it does take a while to load :(

17. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

WTF, I must have scrolled past the logs section how many times without noticing your name under the build??

Man I really need to figure out how to get the space for a CNC router in my life. I just love the idea of using it to upgrade the same machine haha, awesome to watch the progress too.

I didn't notice the picture size as I'm on my desktop, but wowow yeah it might be a good idea to resize things. On mobile or poor connections full size pics absolutely wreck threads. Hopefully that'll change when Bit moves to their new codebase, but that could be whenever.

18. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Nice router.

A helpful tip,put some sheets of paper under the stock so you dont end up machining into your nice 'spoilboard'.

Also,these are steppers?

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Dat CNC :jawdrop:

Amazing stuff. I love the fact that you can use your CNC to make stuff to improve your CNC :)

Really looking forward to seeing your PC build, but to be honest I'd be more than happy with more CNC stuff :D

20. Andreas | Brodholm

I feel your pain and have now resized all the pictures! Thought the forum resized them automatically. But it actually loads the whole picture then resizes it down (think).

So it should be good now! Sorry for the inconvenience, should be better now :thumb:

Glad you like it! Need to do something while I wait for alu sheets! They arrived yesterday also! Need to cut them up and start machining the chassis :dremel:

That's what I keep telling my girlfriend! That "we" NEED a tabletop CNC, also! She is not that impressed with the idea of me spending even more time with my "other wife, the CNC" :D

That might work nicely. But I think it will be a mess with the fluid on the papers? And I believe even paper swell when wet? I usually take Z -0.05mm on the contour cut. I have about 6mm before I need to change the sheet. That means about 120 layers I can peel of before I have to get a new spill sheet of alu. Don't know if it's worth the hassle. But I am definitely going to try it out!

Those are not steppers but servos (from a company called simplexmotion).

Why not the best of both worlds :)