1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel's first Haswell chip pictured

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 30 Jan 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Mmhmm.......yeah........mmhmm........I know some of these words

Action_Parsnip likes this.
  3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Resistors usually shrink, surely?

4. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Is that another complete die up on the top of the chip? Surely covering that with a heat-spreader and making sure that it isn't crushed is going to be a hell of a challenge?

5. mark@scan

mark@scan Product Manager

6. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

I thought the graphics processor in Ivy Bridge was already a vast improvement on Sandy Bridge, even if the rest of Ivy Bridge is merely a die shrink. Is the graphics processor in Haswell 'significantly improved' from Ivy Bridge.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

8. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Well sure I'll wait till Hawell comes out instead of upgrading from my Core 2 duo. Wait, when Haswell is almost out the door, the Haswell lithography shrink will amost be out...I should wait for that, but when that is almost out...

I am going to finally spring for an upgrade to probably the 2500 or 2600 equivelent of IB (whatever those are again) around early June (a slightly delayed birthday present) and probably a mid-grade 7000 series AMD discrete GPU. I'll eye Haswell with jealousy, but unless something truely revolutionary drops from Intel along the way, I'll probably wait at least 2-3 years (maybe 4) before upgrading again (I got my core 2 duo 3 years ago this spring, though admittedly at the time I was buying about 18 month old tech when it hit and lowish end, this time I am going to go near top end for the CPU).

9. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

With that thought process, you could be waiting forever. After Haswell comes the 14nm die-shrink Broadwell, which is rumoured to be the moment that desktop CPUs start turning into SoCs with Ethernet/USB 3.0/Thunderbolt controllers being integrated on-chip.

Beyond that, there'll be Skylake, which they're probably targeting for DDR4 and PCIe 4.0 support and is supposed to incorporate technology from the Larrabee project (instead of a CPU+GPU on-chip as we have now, the CPU BECOMES the GPU). That in turn, will be shrunk to 10nm with Skymont...

Best advice is to buy what you need, when you need it unless the new tech is < 3 months around the corner.

10. Deders

Deders Modder

Isn't ivy bridge the tock? is it that much different from Sandy bridge in terms of architecture and technology?

11. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Haswell uses an LGA1150 socket instead of the LGA1155 so it'll need a new motherboard featuring the LGA1150 socket.

12. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Not alone in that. It does seem counterintuitive for a new architecture to be on the 'tock'.

13. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

They mostly come at night, mostly?

*ahem*

14. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

15. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

To be honest I'm never going to wait for anything in particular. I'll just buy whatever I think is the best for my needs at the time.
    My laptop life cycle seems to be about 4-5 years, so I've got another 2-3 years to go.
    I may build a new desktop before then, but probably not as I don't have the disposable income these days.

16. Deders

Deders Modder

so do I... mostly....

17. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

I'm gonna wait for the Roswell chip, apparently scientists are working on it in the New Mexican desert as we speak! It must be true I read it in a newspaper.

18. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Well I'd say buy what you need when you want to upgrade...though that being said, if you know a new generation of chips is just about to be released, it hurts little to wait a few weeks or a couple of months to upgrade. Personally I don't like buying in at the initial release, prices tend to be higher and I don't want to find out that there is some kind of tragic error in silicon (see Cougar Point chipset issue and SB-E Vt-d issue). So for me it is buying in about 4-8 weeks after launch. So if Intel comes out with IB in April it'll be May before I buy in, though probably June. Wait till just after my birthday as a delayed birthday gift. That and I have a medium sized software release at my job coming up early June and should be working enough overtime for the release to pretty much pay for most of the upgrade.

19. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Can it play............no i won't say it ;)

Tags: Add Tags