1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Case Mod Project: "M A Y H E M" ....."Arrived Safe & Sound"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mnpctech, 31 May 2012.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

[​IMG]

Posted Video of our "DiRT Showdown" Gaming PC Case Mod for AMD, revving up the FX-8150!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love building theme based case mods! and I'm having a blast with "MAYHEM" aka "Dirt Showdown PC" which is inspired by Codemasters’ new DIRT spin-off racing game for AMD Giveaway on facebook. You can enter the giveaway here

I'll be modifying Fractal-Design's Artic White" Define R3 mid tower. This is my 4th time modding a Fractal-Design case. I really like the overall craftsmanship of their cases and their prices are easy on the wallet.

[​IMG]

Fractal Design Define R3 White case, Only $99 at Newegg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Features:
    Improved model over Fractal Design Define R3
    Stunning front panel design
    Patent pending ModuVent™ design - removable vents!
    Pre-fitted with dense, noise absorbing material
    Motherboard tray cut-out, allows easy access to rear of motherboard
    Eight HDD-trays, with silicone mounting
    Can accommodate up to seven 120/140mm fans, two supplied
    PCI fan controller for 3 fans included
    Easily removable front fan filters with clip-on holders for 120mm fans

Specifications:
    Dimensions 207.40 x 440 x 521.2mm (WxHxD)
    Weight 12.5 Kg
    Motherboard Compatibility Mini ITX, Micro ATX and ATX
    Power Supply Compatibility Standard ATX, can accommodate long PSUs
    PCI/AGP Card Compatibility Full size (up to 290 mm long)
    3.5" Drive Bays 8, all SSD compatible
    5.25" Drive Bays 2, one bay converts to 3.5" for floppy or card reader
    Roof Cooling Fans Space for two 120mm, none supplied
    Rear/Side Cooling Fans Rear - space for one 120mm fan, supplied; Side - space for 140 or 120mm fan not supplied
    Front/Floor Cooling Fans Front - space for two 120mm fans (both with filters), one supplied; Floor - space for one 120mm fan (with filter), not supplied
    Expansion Card Slots 7, with sleek white painted brackets
    Front I/O Ports 2x USB 2.0, 1x eSATA and Audio I/O
    Accessories PCI fan controller, controllers up to 3 fans
    Warranty 24 months

[​IMG]

The "Dirt Showdown" PC will be powered by an AMD 8-core FX-8150 3.6GHz processor

[​IMG]

It will be cooled with AMD's new Liquid CPU Cooler. Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 and Pure Black 990FX motherboard. 16GB of AMD "Performance Edition" Memory DDR3

[​IMG]

First step I made was modifying the front door of the DefineR3 for an intake grill that looks very aggressive like the modified Derby cars. I used a Dremel cutting wheel to cut rectangular opening in bezel door.

[​IMG]

Expanded Steel for the front grill was bent in bench vise.

[​IMG]

Let's test fit the grill before making final adjustments.

[​IMG]

The front grill fits perfectly. It will be epoxied onto the back side of the door, once the door is repainted.

[​IMG]

I love the night driving stages of the game, which gave me idea of implementing mini halogen projector lights, that will reside behind the front grill.

[​IMG]

1.5W Pair High Power LED "Eagle Eye" White Lamps. Power: 1.5W X 2, 110LM, 8000-10000K are available on Ebay in the states here

[​IMG]

I fabricated mounting plates for the Mini Projectors located onto the edge of the Define R3 front bezel.

[​IMG]

Mini Projectors behind the Expanded metal front grill.

[​IMG]

120mm Turbine Fans with machined aluminum "Overkill" 120mm Fan Grill Rings

[​IMG]

machined aluminum "Overkill" 120mm Fan Grill Rings

[​IMG]

The 120mm Turbine fans measure 120mm x 25mm. The Evercool fan frame is machined aluminum that has been polished. The plastic fan blades are electroplated chrome. The fan is rated at 2000 rpm with 79.4 cfm and 30 dBA.

[​IMG]

To emulate the look of an engine inside the PC. Each side panel will utilize K&N single carburetor covers. A 92mm cooling fan will reside in each cover. The dense filter inserts will be removed from each cover and replaced with Round Modders Mesh for maximum airflow.

[​IMG]

The K&N filters will utilize Round Modders Mesh

[​IMG]

Using Tin Snip to cut the Round Modders Mesh for each of the K&N air intake covers.

[​IMG]

The K&N filter covers were modified for 92mm intake cooling fans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drawing out the window design on the Define R3 side panel.

[​IMG]

Customized Define R3 side panel with K&N intake.

[​IMG]

All of the chassis modifications are made before sending it to paint booth for "House of Kolor" brand Tangelo Metal Flake Orange paint.

[​IMG]

Custom pcb made by Twizted for "Tachdunio" HDD activity meter that will be mounted on top of the PC.

[​IMG]

for the top, I'm installing Mnpctech machined aluminum and Black anodized 2x140mm (280) from frozencpu

[​IMG]

I used a Dremel and Jigsaw to remove the factory grill perforations for improving airflow.

[​IMG]

Using Measuring Square to center the location of the 280mm fan/radiator grill, then trace the hole locations with a pen.

[​IMG]

I drilled the grill mounting holes before cutting outline for fan holes.

[​IMG]

Using Dremel with reinforced cutting wheel to make initial cut before using the Jigsaw.

[​IMG]

Using Jigsaw with 18 TPI bi-metal cutting blade.

[​IMG]

The perforated factory fan ventilation holes were removed to improve airflow and allow for 280 cooling fan / radiator grill.

[​IMG]

The Toggle switch for the carry handle has a Red LED for Power On. This will be used for the mini Halogen lights.

[​IMG]

Wiring diagram for Fighter Pilot Toggle Switch with LED. You can use this switch to power on any accessory in your PC like cooling fans or lights.

[​IMG]

Toggle switch is installed and tested.

[​IMG]

Top carry handle...

[​IMG]

The top carry handle was fabricated and welded from 1/2" square Steel tubing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The HD activity tachometer will be located in front of the top carry handle. The next stages include velocity stack style fan grills, installing the Tachometer, custom paint, airbrushing, and more hot rod stuff :D

Update: 6/2/12

Here is both single and dual velocity stack fans finished. These will be mounted vertically behind the front intakes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update: 6/11/12

Next step is Hot Roddin the Tachometer gauge face with fire, with Brad Galvin behind the IWATA airbrush....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sponsors graphics are created with a vinyl overlay, which is made with vinyl film plotter, the overlay is placed over the panel, so the open portion overlay is painted with Black enamel paint.

[​IMG]

The Showdown graphic was done the same way, but in 3 different steps for Black, White and Yellow paint.

[​IMG]

Graphics are finished... next step is using a small detail paint brush to add dirt specs around the graphics, and paint scuffs to the side panel.

[​IMG]

Small detail paint brush with Black enamel paint...

[​IMG]

The specs flow toward rear edge of the case to stimulate motion..

[​IMG]

AMD logo was painted in top center of the bezel door to emulate a car emblem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

next step is clear coating the graphic, which requires clearing the entire panel.

[​IMG]

Using large paint brush to create scuffed paint effect.. "Rubbin's Racin" :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished wiring mini headlight projector lights, and assembled the front bezel and door with "bruiser derby" front grill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started the system install last night and finish everything today for photos at 8pm, I'll be editing video of the project Saturday, so I can have it posted for AMD on YouTube on Monday. The "Dirt Showdown" PC will be powered by an AMD 8-core FX-8150 3.6GHz processor. It will be cooled with AMD's new Liquid CPU Cooler. Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 and Pure Black 990FX motherboard. 16GB of AMD "Performance Edition" Memory DDR3

[​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Jul 2012
    Fraze and LooseNeutral like this.
  2. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

OH GOD , Looks amazing love the K&N Airfilter and the top Well done cant wait to see the finish mate !

3. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

Damn it Bill, this looks like awesomness in the making, your mods are always amazing :rock:

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

This is awesome. I'm VERY excited to see the final result.

5. Shurika

Shurika Minimodder

Amazing start!!! Look forward for new updates. Bill, you`re one of the best modders on bit-tech

6. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I really want to hate this mod, but I just can't... That tach is made of WIN! :thumb:

I'll keep my wrath directed towards AMD who decided to not include Denmark to countrys who can enter the sweepstakes... :wallbash:

Edit - make an extra Tach, I can put it on the dashboard and link it to my carpc! :lol:

Last edited: 31 May 2012
  7. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Fixed!

:rock: Oh yeaaaaaah!

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@EEL - Git outta here and post the start of that log you've been sitting on the parts for.:D

-So if this one goes well, will they up the budget for later mods?:naughty:

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Woooo hoooooo :D I'm quite excited about this one Bill :D the fans look awesome, that hdd activity gauge, just perfect for a motor theme mod, going to enjoy watching you do a theme you like a lot. :D:dremel:

Side panel switchable awesome extra air in take also, nice load of progress held back to make an excellent first post for the thread, I'll follow such an example from now. :jawdrop::dremel::clap:

10. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

This mod is going to be insane! Was excited about it a while ago!

11. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Woot! Car themes and pc modding -- always a great combo. And we know Bill will do it right!

12. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Good job Bill,looks great allready. ;)

13. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

An astounding mod, especially the smaller details being put in place, like the filter-covers on the side.

I do find myself wishing I could haul my ass over to the states and get that chip happily stable at 4.8ghz for you. Under that cooler; it should be perfectly happy there. Either way; I'm eager to see how it turns out once you've started to pack hardware in there.

14. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

@ Cheaps: I can pway too! *kicks rocks like a kid*

That's not the 1st time either. Bill's been using that trick for years. Check out some of his past projects a few years back... Some killer stuff, man. And it's not like you're reading the JC Penney clothes catalog either; it's bloody entertaining and fascinating!

15. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

@SilveR_172, Thank you! I forgot to mention, the K&N Air Filter is for Single or Two Barrel Carburetors, Part #56-9169

@Balder, Thank you for the post! I'm having lots of fun with this project :D

@Parge, Thanks! me too! It's been fun just sourcing the parts off Ebay.

@Angel_OD, Thats awesome! I've told Vern about this thread too :thumb:

@Shurika, Thank you. I'm inspired by the Modders in this forum everyday :thumb:

@Cheapskate, Yes. The next project, if accepted will be Killer...literally :worried: I think E.E.L is waiting to see Prometheus first :D

@Waynio, Thank you dude, but your logs set a good example for all of us :rock:

@Kylevdm, I can only get work done during Dixie's naps :sigh: (shes my 9wk old beagle)

@Scirocco, luv it, and haven't forgotten about your project ;)

@Pranja, Thank you for tuning in!

@.//TuNdRa, that would be cool! I'm looking forward to playing on this PC.

@EEL! haha! I bought my first Home Stereo from that catalog, Realistic.. I was a kid!! :worried:

Some people offlist asked if I will knick 'n scuff up stuff, to fit the theme appropriately. Yes, of course, that is the funnest part. Watching the Dirt Showdown trailers have spawned a lot of Hot Rod inspired aesthetics for this PC. I love seeing Velocity stacks used on carburetors. A Velocity stack is a trumpet-shaped device of differing lengths which is fitted to the air entry of an engine’s intake system, carburetor or fuel injection. I'm creating fan grills to emulate Velocity stacks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm using Rheobus knobs to emulate the fuel line connectors.

[​IMG]

I'm creating fuel connector mount from the corner of a 120mm fan. I used a jigsaw with 18 TPI bi-metal blade.

[​IMG]

Faux fuel line connector base. The Rheobus knobs were bored out for 1/4" wire loom tubing.

[​IMG]

Billet machined 120mm fan grill frame

[​IMG]

The inserts are 120mm Black acrylic honeycomb fan grill.

[​IMG]

inserting 1/4" wire loom tubing in Velocity stacks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There will be two velocity stack grills mounted on the back of front turbine intake fans

Brad and I concocted a custom paint mix cfor the Dirt PC. We've named it "Dirt Showdown Orange" It's a combination "House of Kolor" Kandy Orange with touch of Red over "House of Kolor" "Shimrin Metajuls" Gold Basecoat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update: 6/5/12

Thank you for the posts guys!

[​IMG]

Drawing inspiration from K&N race series street rod... except these will be mounted like "pipe stacks" on the rear of chassis..

[​IMG]

I've modified pipe from bathroom sink trap I found in Plumbing section at Home depot...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

made manifold mount from Blue transparent acrylic, I was lucky to get handful of these red anodized 6/32 machine screws from Twizted old online store, Dragonmodz.. which is now closed.., but You can get anodized machine screws from Parts-Express, http://www.fastener-express.com/

[​IMG]

Update: 6/07/12

[​IMG]

I installed our polished Machined aluminum "Diamond Knurl" pc case feet which are made in HAAS cnc lathe.

[​IMG]

The base diameter is 1- 3/4" with height of 1" to elevate the case for improved airflow beneath it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Velocity style cooling fans installed.

[​IMG]

Signal lights aimed on the cooling fans.

[​IMG]

The Tachometer shell is ready for circuit board... ​

Last edited: 8 Jun 2012
  16. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

that mod just cries for chromed exhaust pipes and key to turn on :)

17. Squigly

Squigly MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Oh hell yea!!! a key power button.. or like a start button.... nah, KEY!!!!!!! :rock::rock::rock:

18. Twizted

Twizted What's a Dremel?

Looking great Bill! :)

LOL @ "What's a Demel?" for status ;)

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Now that's just badass...

20. dbradford32

dbradford32 What's a Dremel?

HOLY CRAP BILL! AMAZING! I want one of those Tachs... Tell Vernon to hook me up! :D I love it! I almost had a tear in my eye! lol I am also building a car style PC. :D That tach would look great with my BMW theme! lol