1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors BMW i3 (All electric pocket rocket!) Due 2014

Discussion in 'General' started by happysack, 8 Sep 2013.

1. happysack

happysack goodateverthinger

Anyone looking at getting One of these? I can't
    Wait the figures are awesome.

I have started a owners club also over at http://www.i3oc.com would love to have any feedback if people have some!

Car looks great, can't wait to drive one then order!

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

It looks like a Volkswagen caddy with some extra windows installed.

3. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Very interested in these cars. Not sure this is enough to make me give up the Golf GTi yet though. The 0-60 is not as good as I was expecting from the first electric hot hatch.

I hear that the electric motors mean there is no torque curve, which in turn leads to instant power. (Odd the 0-60 is not higher therefore!) Really want to see how that feels.

EDIT: Also that is one hell of a price for a second car!

Last edited: 9 Sep 2013
  4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

An especially ugly milk float IMO.

Plug-in electric cars just don't seem practical to me - Forget to plug it in at night and you're catching the bus to work.

5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Nope, this one wouldn't get me to work without the range extender let alone back home again, fossil fuels Cheesecake

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Correct - the motors mean a huge amount of torque is available from pretty-much rest. 0-60 is poor because it's not very quick over about 50mph, but very decent under it.

Clever cars, and probably useful in short-distance commuting, but they're a 2nd car realistically - most people still do a long journey once in a while.

ETA: That site originally linked to is awful, why would you split up the relatively small amounts of information on an i3 into a billion articles?

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Website made my head spin

frankly it's a boring over priced milk float, at £30K, yes £30K I could buy a VW Polo Blue motion for £16K, then pick up a 2nd hand Porsche 996 for a little over £11K for a good one, and still have change.

Note, neither of the vehicles I would pick over the i3 require a massive battery replacement a few years down the line.

The future is ethanol and bio diesel, electric is more of a gimmick even now.

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

[​IMG] | [​IMG]

Hmmmmmm.

9. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

0 to 60 7 + seconds
    93 top whack
    Someone has a strange understanding of 'pocket rocket'

10. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

My money is on hydrogen, unless the new cellulosic biofuel processes turn out to be massively more efficient than the current corn/palm based we'd all starve trying to meet current fuel consumption.

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

An Opel Ampera/Chevy Volt drives like a normal car, and if you only commute in urban environments then you can drive them fully electric and save alot of costs for fuel. These all-electric cars are simply too expensive in comparison. An Opel Ampera costs €38.000 compared to the BMW i3s €35.000, is bigger, faster and can be used like a normal car for long distances.

Biofuel from algae is the way to go imho, and we don't even need to modify the current cars to use it. Combine this eco-friendly fuel - one that doesn't starve the world - with a hybrid-concept like the Ampera/Volt and we've got a winner for the future.

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Or arctic methane

14. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

To be honest I think I'd rather have a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle. Battery and hydrogen powered vehicles are both essentially fed from power stations, but the hydrogen motors don't cart around a half-ton of lithium-ion. Also, they can be gassed up on forecourt like a regular car.

See; FCX Clarity.

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

(Finally) moved to General, as I can almost hear Nexxo's teeth grinding about non-serious threads being in the wrong spot. :D