1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New PC build. 24" or 30"? Dual or single GPU? CPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jenny_Y8S, 7 Dec 2008.

1. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

Hi

I'm speccing up a new PC, which this isn't a "no matter what the cost" build, I'm prepared to push the budget a little on this one.

It's to replace a Dell M90, Dual Core 2.2, with 7900 series graphics which has been used for gaming of late, but I'm finding on the latest games I can't run them maxed out on the 1920 x 1200 res screen (or my 1600 x 1200 2nd monitor). Having to drop down the res to 1024x768 and switch off the detail is kinda humiliating!

So basically I want something that will work just as well as a workstation (inc photo editing), but game at a decent res and give me that lovely warm glow that comes from turning all those dials up to 11!

Obvious choice seems to be to get a top spec 24" monitor (I've used the Dell 2409 and like it) as they offer pretty good value for money for a monitor with good colour gamut and still great for gaming. While this won't be the main media machine in the house a bluray drive is probably a must so 1080p is also on the want list.

First question: 30" Monitor (Such as the Dell 3008) comes at a fairly hefty premium over the 24". Anyone out there actually gaming on one one of these at native res? Is it really worth the extra £££? By the time the rest of the machine is specced to cope, I'd be looking at something like a 1.5k premium!

Second question: What GPU? How many? If I get something like 280 from team green, would I be OK on the 24"? Talking games from the orange box, L4D that ilk. I'm thinking that starting with a single 280 now would allow me to go dual or tripple SLI if I need to. Avoiding SLI etc at first would ensure I get good performance on as much as possible from the off. Is my logic strong kung fu?

Third question: CPU? I wish Intel had brought out an 8 core i7, as I think that would answer my needs. I run my main work OS in a VMWare virtual machine, so a decent multi core CPU is a must.

My current thinking is looking at a machine something like:

- i7 920
    - 6gb (3x2) Ram
    - 280 series GPU
    - Dell 24"

I can SLI the graphics as an upgrade, and replace the 920 as well. Adding in another 6gb of Ram is also likely.

Ta in advance.

Jen

2. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

3. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

4870 (or the X2 if you can stretch) would be a better choice than the GTX280, purely because of value for money

Might be an idea to wait for the dual GT200 card to come out next month

4. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

5. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

That's not a bad idea! I quite like the route nvidia are taking by using all that raw power for a bit more than basic pixel pushing, but you can't argue with the results the ati cards are capable of for the ££. Running a dual 4870x2 config is also on the thought list, but only really necesary if I go down the 30" route (not likely)

Tags: