1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft plans summer launch for Windows 10

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 18 Mar 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Apparently they're even going to give away free copies in China to people with non-genuine copies of Windows.

3. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Late september to iron out the bugs lol. Since when have Microsoft ever truly ironed out all the bugs :)

4. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I think it is more open than that. I believe (as hinted at over on Guru3D) that any pirated version will be able to upgrade no matter where you are, but the main reason behind the move is to get the Chinese market to switch to genuine products. It seems silly if they excluded the rest of the World from this move as their must be 10's or even 100's of millions of pirated versions out there.
    This has led some to ask 'Why not just make it free then?' but I can see why not, 100's of millions have previously bought Windows and many will buy the new version, even if it is available for free, just because they can or because they don't know about doing it for free. Time will tell though...
    Will be interesting to see just how good W10 really is... I currently use 7 on my main machine although I have dual booted my laptop with the development version of W10 and I am trying to get used to it but it is a massive jump to find your way around and it is that process of learning the little details that makes the move daunting for many... I know plenty of people who will feel totally daunted by the very idea of it.

5. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I loved Windows 10 until I tried updating to the latest version, which killed the install, wouldn't clean install, had done something to my SSD to prevent Win 7 installing. Tried 3 iso's downloaded off different machines and different USB sticks. Linux found and sorted the problem within a minute during install. I can now install Windows 10 but upon updating it fails to load on restarting. I'm waiting on the next iso before I try again, as it all got a bit too time consuming.

In other news, I'm really liking Linux Mint. I have 64 Steam games available to play out of my collection of 145. Which might not seem like a lot, but it would have been 0 not too long ago.