1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Edimax EW-7438RPn Wi-Fi Extender review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 20 Feb 2013.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

This looks quite useful, could do with one of these to sort out the poor reception spots.

3. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Something like Wifi Analyser can be pretty handy for working out the signal strength is different rooms, and for working out which channel(s) to use that aren't being used by your neighbours.

4. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Although I personally wouldn't game over wifi unless my network port dies, can you say what happens to your ping through one of these?
    I am assuming it would have to increase, as there is another "hop" involved. But I wonder how much by?

5. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a flaw in WPS that makes it insecure? In which case, the manual route is the way to go (even if that does sound paranoid - better safe than sorry when it comes to a couple of minutes' effort).

6. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Antony, can more than 1 of these units be used to stretch coverage across larger areas, and does using more units reduce the speeds?

7. Bokonist

Bokonist What's a Dremel?

You are right, WPS intorduces a vulnerability that can allow someone with just a little knowledge to hack your WPA pass key. Unfortunately turning WPS off doesn't stop the hack from working, so if you're unlucky enough to have a vulnerable router then using this device will neither decrease or increase your security. If one of these will help your situation then get one. The only sensible defence against the WPS hack is to either update your firmware to a non vulnerable version, and/or make sure your wireless key is at least 25 characters long. This means that the hack is still technically possible, but would take a prohibitive amount of time to work.

8. David Wakeman

David Wakeman What's a Dremel?

I cannot find any reference in the reviews or product descriptions to the LAN connection (other than it is a CAT5 interface). I understand this is used for setting up, but having completed the setup can it also be used as a normal LAN connection to other non-wireless devices?

Tags: Add Tags