1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Piracy

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by CardJoe, 2 Mar 2008.

?

Do you pirate games?

1. Honestly? Yes for both PC and consoles.

21 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Yes, but only for PCs...

58 vote(s)
    17.3%
  3. Yes, but only for consoles...

6 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. I used to, but truthfully not any more.

87 vote(s)
    25.9%
  5. Yes, but I often buy the game too. Really.

114 vote(s)
    33.9%
  6. Well, I tell people I don't, but really I do.

3 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. Honestly, no. Never.

47 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Micheal Fitch has just posted this. Mike was the Creative Director of Iron Lore Studios, the makers of Titan Quest, who had to had to shut down last year. It's in the news.

I'm going to pop this in the Iron Lore discussion and the gaming forum too because I think it's very on the ball and, even though the first part only is relevant to piracy, it's a perfect example of how every little thing matters and how you can help support the developers you like by voting with money.

That said, I personally didn't care for Titan Quest.

I've attached a poll up above which I hope people will think about and answer properly. Too many people say that they only do it if there's no demo or that they then buy the game if they like it when this clearly isn't the case. I know. I've done that. I used to pirate games, tell people I'd pay for them if they were good and then not bother. Not anymore.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2008
  2. fwalm

fwalm Minimodder

In truth I have never pirated computer games. Have seriously thought about it, but never have.

3. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i read this the other day and i'd like to know where his numbers came from on piracy
    and also how piracy of say hl2 or orange box compared to the numbers for cod4 and bioshock he quoted

i voted "Yes, but I often buy the game too. Really."

4. dom_

dom_ --->

Never have, but i used to pirate movies and music heavily. Until i grew up.

5. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

I have a couple of times, and will if the game looks good but not good enough to warrant £30 of my heard earned pounds. I hate demos, if I want to get the feel for a game I want to play the game, not some half arsed version. So basically, this is me: "Yes, but I often buy the game too. Really."
    I'm quite materialistic when it comes to having a game, I like having a case, manual, disc etc. a reason as to why I wont buy off Steam.

6. BlueTrin

BlueTrin What's a Dremel?

It happens to me to get a game not by buying it but really if it is only the kind of game I will never buy and trust me, I really buy ALOT of games, I must buy half of the game which comes out on the shelves of major retailers, including all FPS and RTS. I almost always buy a game instead of pirating if it is available on direct2drive or steam ...

Last edited: 3 Mar 2008
  7. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I'll download the latest game, play it, if I like it, I'll delete the game and ISO and go buy it, if I don't like it, I delete the game and ISO and make room for more entertaining games :hehe:

I wouldn't download if developers released good demos more often

8. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

I download games occasionally, but normally if it was something that I hadn't heard of or was unsure about.

However I am a complete whore when it comes to grabbing movies and tv shows.

9. Major

Major Guest

Truth is, I download games which I wouldn't buy in the first place. :)

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I completely agree with him on the "people are idiots" point and completely understand why people make games for locked down systems like consoles, more so now that they can be updated!

There is a massive difference between a bit-tech gamer and any other gamer - most people out there have no clue what so ever. They should be left to consoles and never let near a PC because their ignorance is astounding. Just go to any i-event or other LAN to see what I mean.

Truth is, I only don't pirate to see what it's like now because I can borrow it from Joe. If I do like it I will buy it - Stalker, Half Life 2, Zelda etc. Most of the games I've tried are just crap and I'd never ever spend £40 on it - they get dropped within two minutes.

I borrowed Crysis from work, but that was a plastic piece of arse. I will also borrow CoD4 in time to see what it plays like, given time. I haven't pirated anything since before joining bit - everything at work is legit - I've just fallen into wanting stuff to just work.

11. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Isn't posting the same quote three times in three different threads a violation of the forum rules? :eyebrow: :nono:

Closest I've ever come was I borrowed a friend's steam acccount and downloaded HL2 (with his permission, he only plays online FPS) played about half of itand then went out and bought it myself. Other than that, I buy the games i want to play, but I have so little time or money these days that it's maybe one game a year. I see STALKER is down to $20 in the stores, so I may pick that up soon. It will be the first game I've bought since HL2E1.

12. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

Seems like he believes the entire world was out to make the company shut down and that every one was against him

1. Piracy === everyone in sweden and norway (if you believe the news and the riaa)

2. Hardware -- (yep ATI etc were out to get him)

3. reviewers - (see I know it had to be bit techs fault some where its all the bit tech reviewers fault)

4. Audience -- (nope i was wrong its everyone elses fault)

theres a word for thinking like this its called Paranoia.

13. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

If you get burned enough when you buy a game your going to want to go out and try the game before you buy. If a company has a reputation of making good games then people are more likely to just buy it, Orange Box comes to mind as I liked everything in the series so far and felt no risk buying the next one in the series. Anything else I tend to be wary about and want to get a better look than just a demo.

14. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I used to untill I turned 16~, I finally had an income and I could afford to buy games, turned out that when I was earning a wage I could afford to keep a very good standard of living.

I now say to everyone not to pirate because I know how much effort goes in to games.

15. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Yes. Now I don't anymore. And I buy the game if it was fun.

16. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I understand why he hates stupid people and intergrated hardware. I remember when sims 2 came out. I was on the forum for the game constantly telling people that their 3 year old pc with intergrated video would not run the game no matter what they do. and it was always the games fault to them. even thought they wanted a game that was better than sims 1.

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I used to until I got some money in the bank and I could actually afford games.

I'll pirate a game if
    A) You can't get it in the shops anymore
    B) I want to know if it's a waste of money or not

Although now I do little of B, last time I remember doing that was for STALKER, after a few hours playing I decided it was good, but due to my obsession with restarting RPGesque games I got frustrated, might pick that up now it's cheaper. Now I've had my ups and downs with awful games and awesome games, I can usually tell if I'll enjoy a game from previews and the like. I haven't bought many duds in the last year or so.

The only games I kind of regret buying that I've bought in the last 6 months or so is probably the club and eternal sonata. I've barely played them, but I did pick them up very cheap.

I picked "Yes, but I often buy the game too. Really." BTW

Last edited: 2 Mar 2008
  18. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Have I pirated games, well yes.
    But you know what, those I liked I went out and bought, those I didn't got deleted.

There are times I glad I did as it saved wasting money on a crap game, on the other hand there are games I might not have considered but bought them after trying them out first.

19. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I think my credit card bill speaks for itself.

20. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

My internet is too slow to pirate games :(