1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New PC. Help please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zinfandel, 12 Dec 2012.

1. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Hello folks.

So I'm putting together a new PC. I've set myself a budget of £600 and could possibly stretch this to £700. Now, the situation is I'll have another £200 to spend in January so my options are go onboard until Jan and then add a GPU or put in a cheap CPU now and replace that in Jan. Currently I've got for the cheapo CPU option.

So here's the current basket.

Notes:

CPU: So, the option here is to basically ditch the GPU until Jan and stick in a 3570k plus a cooler. Honestly not sure what to do here, just don't have the budget to get them both.

GPU: I was considering a 660ti, however looking at the AnandTech comparison, I personally do not feel it's worth the extra £60. I'm absolutely confident of this and it doesn't feel like a compromise as the 660 will more than cover my useage. I'm not a huge gamer. So if there's something better for around the £160 mark let's hear it.

SSD: This could be changed, M4 or 830/40 perhaps? There's a bit of room in the budget here for this.

PSU: No idea about these anymore... suggestions?

Keyboard/Mouse: These will be upgraded when budget allows.

Case: I know it's not great, I just really really like it... I could go up to say, £70 here if need be but I really really like that case!

So that's it. I'd be happy to listen to tweaks or even full on different builds. Opinions very much sought after!

Cheers very much.

Ash

EDIT: The CPU first option works out at about £600 (with a £25 budget for some kind of cooler) so I could do that and pick up a 460 off of the MP or stick in a 7750 or something for the time being.

Also, HDD is sorted.

2. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Just a quick note. I am really not interested in overclocking these days. The fastest cpu I have had in the last few years is a G620 so whatever I get will be a huge improvement so I could save a few quid with a 3470 and a B75 board. The £43 MSI one has a SATA3 port and HDMI on the I/O which is all I really need.

3. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I'd say get the 3570K now and the 660 later. Don't you have an old graphics card you could temporarily use? In any case, the HD4000 onboard GPU is pretty capable, just not for high end games.

A Samsung 830 is a better choice if you can find one.

Maybe this PSU? http://www.scan.co.uk/products/550w...ronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx-psu

Or this if you'd like 80 Plus Gold? http://www.scan.co.uk/products/550w-seasonic-g-550-modular-80-plus-gold-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx-psu

Here's some RAM with tighter timings. Can't say how much it will affect real world performance though. http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-...pc3-12800-(1600)-non-ecc-cas-9-9-9-24-xmp-15v

edit: If not overclocking, you could get a Core i5 3450 and a H77 or B75 board. But overclocking the 3570K is very easy, and going from 3.4GHz to 4.5GHz will offer quite an improvement in performance.

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

For the PSU I'd definitely look at the new G Series from Seasonic, the 550W (or 450W) model specifically. Affordable, 80 Plus Gold certified, semi-modular, Seasonic, what's not to like.

I'd also get an Optiarc DVD writer. It's immensely preferable to something from Samsung.

And I'd rather stay with on-board until January than waste that money on a Pentium. If you're not overclocking the i5-3470 really hits the sweet spot.

5. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I have run a 2500 and a 2500K in the same machine.

Other than benchmarks makes naff all difference with a 670, so with a 660 your also going to see no gains.

No K series and no clocking means a cheap B75 board would suit very well, id be tempted to do that and put budget elsewhere in your build.

6. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

OK so I think I am set on the 3470. Need a new board in that case! Scan don't have the 460g seasonic one in and not sure if 360W will have the grunt. That Corsair one looks a good shout.

The DVD drive will be used to install windows and mobo drivers and nothing else so really don't care what it is!

7. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Ok. sorry for formatting. On my phone!

B75 board
    LG IPS
    Samsung 840 250gb
    Source 210 case
    8gb Corsair
    £60 psu budget
    Cheap DVD drive

That is nigh on £600.

Thoughts?

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

CPC just rated the Xigmatek MidGuard II case. Could be a viable option, although I haven't seen it at the £52 they quote - seems to be around £60-£65

9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'd get a H77-based mobo instead of a B75-based one. There's not much separating the chipsets (well, basically there's only 1 chipset, but that's beside the point), but I believe the selection of H77 boards to be better. Also the price difference isn't that huge.

EDIT: As already pointed out by mm vr. I see that Scan does have the Seasonic G-550W. A bit more expensive than the Corsair unit, but I believe it's worth it.

10. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

The Samsung 830 is better than the 840. Get a 830 if you can.

The Seasonic G450 seems to be on pre-order on Scan.

11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yep, they used to be the NEC burners - not the quietest, but bombproof in my experience.

13. Tigernos

Tigernos Resident Roman Soldier

My sig rig was about 750 minus the monitor. Works beautifully together. So take out the GPU and I think it would fit your budget and you can get the GPU later?

14. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Well, Scan doesn't have the CPU, Case, the monitor or either of the SSDs I want so yeah.

EDIT: Or the RAM... Or the PSU for that matter... Nice work Scan!

Day = RUINED!

15. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

They're not the only retailer out there!

Also not always ahead on prices or customer service to be honest.

16. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Yeah, currently checking out Ebuyer and considering going into London and hitting up Yoyotech.

I've just never not used Scan, but yeah... seems a bit shoddy to be honest.