1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other OK I have rooted my tablet, now what?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 21 Oct 2014.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have rooted my Samsung galaxy Note 10.1 (8010) purely as I will be getting a new one shortly and wanted to see A) how easy it was to do and B) remove much of the bloatware so beloved by Samsung.

I was looking to install CyanogenMod but it does not support my model tablet.

So what else can I do? I don't want to brick my tablet just yet so nothing to radical.

2. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Aside from installing a new ROM (which requires an unlocked bootloader, not a rooted device - 'rooting' in this context means adding the 'su' binary so you can get root access on your current ROM and isn't required to install, for example, Cyanogen), there are plenty of handy-dandy tools which require root access and make Android much more pleasant to use. In no particular order, here's what I've got on my phone right now:

BetterBatteryStats:
    Does what it says on the tin, and makes finding apps that are draining your battery a piece of pie. Its advanced features require root.

AdAway:
    Again, self-explanatory. Unlike AdBlock, which requires you to fiddle with network settings, this uses its root access to put known-advertising domains in the hosts file. Makes mobile browsing a lot more enjoyable, this one.

AFWall+:
    Lets you set up an iptables firewall on your device. Why? 'Cos then you can tell it that certain applications shouldn't be allowed internet access. Got a spammy app you nevertheless like? Deny it all internet access and the notifications and adverts go away! Got something that runs in the background and is data-hungry, like an RSS reader? You can configure it to have access over Wi-Fi but not mobile data. Very, very useful, this one, and easy to use as well - just tick the boxes next to each app in the list to block.

Autorun Manager:
    Disable receivers and startup apps to boost performance and battery life.

CallRecorder:
    Does what it says on the tin, but less useful for tablets I'd imagine.

Display Control:
    Lets me set a colour profile for the display. Only works on the Nexus 4, though, so no good to you.

FasterGPS:
    Set the phone to use a local NTP server rather than the global pool for quicker first-fix GPS times.

NTPSync:
    Set the phone time from an NTP server.

Orbot:
    You can use this to connect to the Tor network without root, but it's awkward. With root, you just connect and *all* traffic from the phone or tablet goes through Tor until you disconnect it again. Very, very useful.

Preferences Manager:
    Lets you manually edit the preferences file for any installed app.

rsync backup:
    Backup any directory to a remote rsync server.

Secret Codes:
    I *think* this requires root... Anyway, it scans for the codes you can input into the dialler to access otherwise hidden menus.

That enough to get you started?

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Now I'm thinking of rooting my Nexus 7...

6. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

If you want a custom ROM on your device, XDA is the place to go.
    All of the ROM developers have very concise instructions on installing the ROMs and it's worth playing with. If you've managed to root it, installing a custom ROM is probably easier.

It's surprisingly hard to 100% brick your device so it take a lot to properly **** it up :)

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

AdBlock Plus, when installed with root access, will also configure its proxy automatically. This has the advantage of stripping ads from everything, not just the browser (e.g. will block youtube ads).

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yes, but AdAway doesn't *use* a proxy. This means it works on networks that have a mandatory proxy, it doesn't consume any system resources while blocking, and works on absolutely any traffic from any application.

9. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Install Xposed and you have access to loads of mods! Gravity box is particularity good.

10. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Install tasker

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

What or who and where do I find this Tasker?

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Both installed. Now what do you suggest as a first step with these programs?

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

OK another question. I have been playing around with various settings but there is one that escapes me I would like to remove the default clock ETC from the lock screen (See here).

[​IMG]

So that the lock screen looks like this

[​IMG]

Anyone tell me how to do this?

14. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Once you have them installed, go into the 'modules' tab and enable gravity box.

When you have that done open the gravity box app and change whatever settings you like. Your table it like an open book. :rock:

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Pretty much done that, thanks.

My table is an open book?????????