1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 8 pin PCI-E connector question

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Shielder, 8 Mar 2012.

1. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Just a quick question, but can I plug an 8-pin PCI-E connector into a 6 pin socket on my new graphics card so that there will be 2 connectors not used?

I'm assuming that this is possible because you can get 6+2 pin connectors, but my PSU has 1x6-pin and 2x8-pin connectors.

Stupid me didn't check before I bought the card.

Damn:wallbash:

Andy

2. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I dont know the answer to your question. But I will never take any comprimises when it comes to gpu cables.

I used the wrong one on my gpu once (from another psu of the same make) and it took out my board, gpu and ssd in the press of a button.

Might not be a problem with what your suggesting, but personally I wouldnt try anything but the pukka cables.

(just my 2 pennies worth!)

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I tried it, and it doesn't work, it wants 8-pin connector.
    The reason why your have the 6+2pin, is because the PSU can deliver the extra power (GPU just needs a bit more power), to these pins, and the cable can sustain the extra power passing through no problems. In other words, Nvidia or AMD follows the standard connector to the letter, while the PSU goes "Well it's just a tiny bit more, so wtv it's fine" (and it is, there is no worry).

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

The 8 pin plug on the cable doesn't physically fit into the 6 pin housing on the graphics card. It should be easy enough to put a 6 pin housing on and have 2 redundant wires. However you must know what you're doing with this or as bdigital has said it can bu**er the card. The 8 pin connector uses 3 x 12V (usually yellow) wires and 5 x Ground (usually black) wires while the 6 pin connector uses 3 of each.

So if you fit a 6 pin plug you'll have 2 spare ground wires which should be properly taped up and insulated to ensure they can't make contact with anything.

5. Booti

Booti Minimodder