1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Nuisance phone calls

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 27 Sep 2014.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'm sure many people are getting this crap all the time.

I must get at least 10 calls a day, we have number recognition so I know if it's going to be a nuisance call most of the time especially if it says international as i don't know anyone who lives abroad. (well my sister does but she doesnt ring and I'd recognise the number anyway).

Occasionally it comes up as witheld which becomes more awkward as I know several people who are ex directory so I have to answer these.

Is there any service I can join that might reduce these calls as they are driving me potty, I had a right go at a bloke on the phone yesterday as it was about the 50th time the number had come up and I threatened to report them to the police if I wasn't taken off the database and all he could say was "if I just go through the 2 minute survey then they would stop ringing me", what a $%$$%% cheek.

I found This site but I'm not sure if it might be dodgy in itself.

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I get them all the time I just tell them to F'off one of the calls I get is a company that stops the nuisance calls for a charge ffs I tell them to f'off as well lol

Last edited: 27 Sep 2014
  3. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Make sure you register with the tps, and go ex-directory yourself; extremely rare for me to get any marketing calls these days since my number isn't listed anywhere for the scumbags to find...

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Yes, that's the one.

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I believe it is. It won't solve everything though, we still get a fair few marketing calls even though we've been registered with them for 10+ years. Call centres abroad don't care about TPS, and neither do silent calls.

Ex directory won't make the number withheld, that's the withhold number option. Bloody annoying imo, I've gotten fairly annoyed at people calling me while withhold to the extent I just ignore it now. They've finally got the message. In all honesty though, all the nuisance calls we get are not withheld. Most are really odd numbers such as 0, 000, random abroad numbers, or "out of area", but not withheld.

7. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

Tps only covers calls from UK won't make any difference to international calls

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 6 Jan 2018
  9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

No, but nothing will stop foreign callers - I'm ex-directory and I still get them every now and again, probably through random diallers.
    Actually, this doesn't work that often, because as soon as you answer the phone, you've confirmed that there's a real person at the end of the line - and that means you'll go on the list of working phone numbers!

10. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

11. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Saying funny things to them in Welsh is both effective and incredibly satisfying.

"Hello."
    "Hello sir, am I speaking to Mr Yadda sir?"
    [In Welsh]"Are your balls the size of Malteasers?"
    "Hello sir I am conducting a survey..."
    [In Welsh]"When you sleep, does your dog fart in your face?"
    "...I was wondering if you would answer a few questions."
    [In Welsh]"I am scratching my balls."
    "Sir?"
    [In Welsh]"Yes, my balls."
    "...?"
    [In Welsh]"Balls balls baaaaalls".
    /they hang up.

:D:clap:

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If you really want to annoy them answer the phone, make up an excuse to walk away from the phone and simply wait until they hang up, doing so hurts them much more financially than hanging up immediately or blocking their calls.

13. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

The other half's parents used to have at least 6 or 7 calls a day before they got a call blocker. Now, 1 or 2 might get through a week but you can just hit the button on it to block them. The other half says there's a list of numbers already built in and you can also block all international and withheld numbers.

14. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

We've been registered with TPS for years it can't stop calls from abroad we keep getting calls every day from an international number when you answer they hangup I had 5 different calls in one hour yesterday two of them claiming to be from the Microsoft service dept saying my PC has problems and would I grant remote access to allow them to repair I told the caller I'm a systems analyst and know there's no problem he got abusive and threatening I told him I'm ending this call bye bye a**hole our phone is now being monitored as the calls are far more than excessive

15. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

there was a story in the paper a while ago about a guy that simply went and got himself a premium rate landline, then when they call him THEY PAY HIM

id just get one of them, then whever they call, place them on hold and leave

16. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

TPS seems to work initially, however after a few months the calls start to increase again.
    We get around 3 per day, and no mater what you do or say it has no impact.

You can report them to TOS, but only the larger corporations take any note. The worst are those government backed grant schemes for insulation, solar panels etc. they just don't stop.

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

18. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I've registered with the TPS via the 2nd link (posted bu CrapBag) but I still get them, so now I tend to just play with them, so far

1. I've told them I just died,
    2. Tell them I'm just going to put them on hold, bang the TV on a radio station and put the phone next to a speaker,
    3. Play along with the injury ones, then tell them I just have amnesia as I can't remember the accident (this once managed to get a caller to tell me to "funk off")
    4. Told them I'd get whoever that asked for, tell the caller they are on the toilet but I'll pass the phone through to them,
    5. I answer all the free UPVC, insulation, new boiler / central heating ones to the point of getting an appointment, then tell them I'm a council tenant so I'm not eligible.

It must suck for them really as they are just doing a crap job, probably getting a minimal wage and the get nothing but grief for their troubles.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Marketing calls will ring between 6-8 rings before hanging up and moving on (time is money, after all). I just leave the phone ringing beyond eight rings before picking up. Works every time.

20. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'll just rock up as I tend to do in these threads and throw it out there: consider unplugging your landline if you don't absolutely need it.

We have a landline used exclusively for ADSL, and use our mobiles for calling. No spam.

I know this approach doesn't work for a lot of people, but it has transformed our lives.