1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education How old are your clothes?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 11 Oct 2014.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Do you have an item or items of clothing that have stood the test of time.

I myself have a Wrangler denim jacket that must be at least 30 years old and there was a time when it did not fit because of the weight I had put on but the pendulum has swung the other way as it is now slightly too big give the amount of weight I have lost following an illness. This jacket is still in pretty good nick for it's age and has certainly got plenty of years left in it.

I also have a leather jacket which might be older and still looking pristine.

Other clothes have come and gone but these two items have endured and as both are pretty timeless then I do not particularly have to worry about looks whilst wearing either of them.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2014
  2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Jackets always last longer than normal clothes (imho).
    I have a leather jacket that must be 25+ years old that i still wear, although i do worry that it makes me look like a throwback from the 1980's :hehe: so I'm considering throwing it out.

I think the oldest item of clothing i have that isn't a jacket and is worn regularly would be some of my T-shirts that are probably around 10 years old, after they start to develop holes they normally get re-commissioned to be worn when doing DIY.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Don't get rid of a classic.

I have clothes going back a good 20+ years; not just jackets either. I have a way of wearing things until they fall apart. It is usually my wife who then pushes me to replace them.

I know... I'm such a geek.

4. Refugee

Refugee What's a Dremel?

I have a Levi sweat shirt that is about 40 years old, it's now looking the worse for wear as it has become transparent in place but it's staying in my wardrobe along with the denim jacket.

And as a reminder to my daughter who believes that her generation has invented every thing I cling on to a pair of platform shoes from the 70's, a very vivid purple plus some very bright yellow shoes from same time frame.

Well according to her I must have been born wearing a suit and what do I know about fashion.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I still have a t-shirt from when I was about 4, does it count if I can't fit in it?

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Not really, especially since you're still only 8 ;)

I still have my wedding suit (even though I probably couldn't get into it any more) and a Drizabone longcoat that's about 20 years old (and still going strong).
    Those items aside, most of the clothes in my wardrobe are less than 5 years old.

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I have Jackets, levis and tops from way back still fit too :D.

You should never throw quality away they all ways come back in fashion ever ex amount of years and the originals are better :thumb:

I don't wear them much now I mainly live in T shirt and combats now days.

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Are the camouflaged? If so who are you hiding from?

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Come back in fashion they may do but I certainly do not want to see my 70 year old partner in a mini skirt,thank you very much.

10. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Never liked camouflaged yuk

I have to concur with that lol

11. adidan

8 and 3/4 thank you very much :)

Thinking about it I have a lot of sub 1 year stuff but then I still have combats from the late 90's that I can somehow still get it. Plenty of old t-shirts too.

Trousers generally don't last as long as tees for me though, I appear to have nuclear testicles that wear the crotches away. I really need a kilt.

12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Like Nexxo, I wear clothes until they are offensively worn or ripped.

I bought a dark grey Armani shirt when I started sixth form in 1998 that I still wear a couple of times a week. It's quite a delicate shirt, but it seems to be made of age-resistant materials and it's extremely well put together.

13. adidan

14. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I have a shirt that my dad used to wear when he was my age. The old St Michael brand stuff.

15. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I can and do still get in clothes I got when I was 13, I'm 34 now. I spend most of my time in scruff so some of the preferred items get worn pretty regularly. I try and avoid washing my clothes as much as possible to maximise the lifespan.

16. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Same, 30+ year old clothing, some hand me downs. Wear it till it falls apart, wear the shreds until they disintegrate.

17. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

My dad has a winter jacket that is 20-25 years old, and he still wears it regularly. Most of my clothing that I wear regularly is sub 5 years old most likely. Cheap clothes don't last particularly long.

18. adidan

Wow, still wearing kids clothing kinda disturbs me. :eeek:

19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Most of my casual clothes have at least a couple of holes in. Most of them are 5-10 years old. Same with my shoes - my current pair of trainers each have gaping holes in and are set to fail any day now: annoying as they're so comfortable.

20. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I'm wearing a pair of jeans I bought when I was 18. Now age 29 I can safely say newer clothes wear awfully, I bought a french connection jacket (big overcoat thing) last year and I don't think it'll hold up.