1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

_______miniG5ized_______:23 of March. `06

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by FanatiK, 28 Sep 2005.

1. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Comments here

miniG5ized
    [​IMG]

Hello all. Well here is my latest project called miniG5ized. If you can`t tell from the title I`m minimizing a G5 case. :naughty: I`m making it so it can fit an MATX mobo, atx psu, full optical drive and three hdds. Also did I mention it will be watercooled. :lol: For those of you that don`t know me since this is my first project log at bit-tech here are some mods i have completed.
    Soldam revamped.
    [​IMG]
    Ecube.
    [​IMG]

Now that you know me a little bit better here are the specs of miniG5ized.
    MSI-RS480M2 mobo
    FX57
    x850xt pe
    2gb ocz
    Ultra Xconnect psu
    Pioneer DVDrw
    2x 120 gb samsung hdds
    1x 160 gb samsung hdd

Watercooling:
    2x c-system mag pumps
    Aqua Computer Cuplex XT CPU block
    Alphacool mosfet coolers
    Alphacool bga coolers
    GFX Alphacool NexXxoS GPX for gpu
    Angel eye window res
    HTF3 Single 80 rad

Enought chit chat. Here are the pics
    Here is how the inside of the case will be setup with the parts. I will have the optical facing up. I`m going to move that stealth thing the case has to the top. I will then put a fan controller in the empty slot left behind.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also to the right of the optical I`m creating an acrylic enclosure to duct air to the rad and to exhaust the air out the top. It will have two 120mm aluminum sanyo denki fans. One on top and one on the bottom. The cube enclosure will be a duct attaching the fans to the rad. I will use aluminum fan adapters to adapt the 120mm fans to the enclusure which will be 80mm. The rad will be in between somewhere. The hardrives will go right below the optical. I will be able to fit three of them. The chrome fan is there to represent how thick the enclosure will be and to see how close it will come to the video card.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it is being cut down.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The leftovers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the cover G5 uses to stealth their drives. It very nice. Instead of being a flap that swings down it slides down. Very clean.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is where it is going now.
    [​IMG]

Till next time.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2006
  2. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Started the bottom window. All the pics are without the handles in place. It just made cuttting easier.
    [​IMG]

Beveled the edges
    [​IMG]

Light blue plexi i will be using for the windows.
    [​IMG]
    dry fitted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pic of screws I`m using.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Nov 2005
  3. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Well here is what has been done since last update. I drilled holes for the rivets that will hold brackets in place. The bracket will hold the two bottom pieces and the two top pieces together.
    [​IMG]
    Cut a notch in the plexi for the bracket.
    [​IMG]

Here is what I`m going to use to hide the seams. Its just an aluminum plate to hide it. Still thinking about the design of it.
    [​IMG]

Here it is with the bracket put together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After doing this I decided that the screws needed to be changed. Also I had to do something different than just drilling holes around the window. I decided to dress it up a bit and be different. Instead of the large screws with the washers I`m going to use set screws. This way they look clean and are flush with the case.

This is the pattern I will use for the screws. It will be one large set screw with two smaller ones next to them. I think the pattern looks very nice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then I started the cutting for the top window. I finished the top window but forgot to take a pic of it but it looks the same as the other window so its nothing you havent seen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally this is where i left off. The brackets that will hold the whole thing together.
    [​IMG]

4. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Since I couldn`t work on the case anymore because I didn`t have screws to hold everything together I moved on to the acrylic that will be on the front and back. Here it is being smoothed out after cutting it out.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the frosted look I will have when I stencil the logo on. This was just a test to see how it will look. It is frosted on both sides. When I put the logo on it will be only frosted on one side so it should be more transparent.
    [​IMG]

Then I started working on the bevel edge the clear acrylic will have. I moved the slant on the sanding wheel to give me the right angle I needed. Man i love this dremel scroll saw. Makes things so much easier.
    [​IMG]

Almost there.
    [​IMG]

Finally i get the edge I want. That black mark is a sharpie line I drew so that I wouldn`t sand too much off and to keep the edge uniform.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It got a little messy.
    [​IMG]

Then I started to play around with a scrap piece of plexi to get flame polishing done. I learned you need to have a very smooth edge or the file marks will show up. As you can see here.
    [​IMG]
    So even though the sanding wheel made things easier I still have to hand file the edges and get the marks off. I will then use 1000 grit paper to make them smooth. I still need to do this. I was only able to finish one edge out of four. I need to get this lines out of the edge before flame polishing .
    [​IMG]

Starting to get most of them out. Using a small needle file.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are both peices. Not done yet
    [​IMG]

After stoping there I moved on to the MDF jig that will help me get the curves on the bottom and top of the acrylic pieces. This is one of the four pieces that will be cutout to this shape to build the jig. I was only able to cut one curve out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Got the screws in. These look way better and cleaner than what I was going to use. Once they came in I dropped what I was doing and had to install them to see how they looked.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finished the MDF jig for the front and back acrylic. I added tape so it wouldnt scratch the acrylic when bending.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bent
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also finished the brackets and riveted the whole case together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Sorry for the late updates guys. Keep forgetting to do so. Well here is a huge lump of udpates put into one.
    Small Update:

Finally got the edge of the clear acrylic cut out so it`ll fit the top window and bottom window better. Still need to clean the edges.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The only edge that is different is the cd rom side. Because of the placement of the screw I couldnt cut them like the rest but it doesnt stick out a lot.
    [​IMG]

Then I started working on the mobo back plate. I used one taken from an acrylic case as a template to work from. Everything is cutout already but don`t have the pic of it. I still need to bend the edges.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also I finally got around to ordering the watercooling parts from overseas. The bad news is that the shop I was going to order the rad from stopped carrying them. :evil: Which means I have to put two orders from two different shops to get everything. Sucks for me because I have to pay twice the shipping but the good news is that I found this great ebay company from england that is working with me to get me some stuff. The other good thing is that watercooling stuff over there is cheap so I`m savng money by buying from them but wasting it on shipping. For example the Cuplex xt from sharka computers costs 110 from them. I`m getting it for 73. :D :D :D :D I can`t put enough smileys. Its just so beautiful
    [​IMG]

Here is another thing I think you might want to see. The rad. Damn this is one of kind. I`ve never seen anyone use this rad in their system. Oh yea btw I have two on the way. Might end up selling one to recoupe some of the shipping costs. :D :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

I was watching HGTV today and on a show called "I want that", they showed this cool ass paint that changes with heat. The ideas started flowing when I saw this. So i went to their site and I`m about to buy some of their paint. Here is the video for you guys from the show. Take a look its amazing what applications you can use.
    http://alsacorp.com/products/homeusepaints/video/HGTV201_2.wmv[/L]

Their stuff is tight but expensive as hell. I`m buying a 12oz can for $35. :eek: I`m going to paint the black part of the rad with this blue paint that changes white when it heats up. Its going to look awesome. Here is the link to the cheap stuff they sell. Everything else around the site is way expensive.
    http://alsacorp.com/products/homeusepaints/homepaints.htm[/L]

Here is an example of the paint I`m buying. It`ll match the color scheme I`m going with in this mod. I`m also planing on painting other things with this stuff. Maybe the whole case if I have enough paint and money.
    [​IMG]

8. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Guess what showed up in the mail today? I really wasnt expecting my rad and waterblock to arrive so fast. Well here are the pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hold up let me get a napkin I`m starting to drool a little.

Okay I`m back on to the pics. OMG!!! This thing is awesome. Its way smaller than I thought.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its twins. I`m so proud. :wink:
    [​IMG]

Wow. Instructions?! Wonder why you need instructions for a rad. Especially two full pages. Hopefully its nothing important since I cant read whatever language that is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On to the cpu block.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alleluia!!!... Sorry more pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

_____miniG5ized______23 of March.______Newest update on first post

Project Log: miniG5ized

----------PLEASE READ FIRST---------------------
    I`m going to do it different than most project logs. This first post here will have the newest update to my project. This way if you are already familar with my project you dont have to load all the pics again. This should be easier for all of us. It will keep you from jumping back and forth between two threads to reply and comment. It will also benefit my bandwith. :D I will still update the other thread but that is mainly for people who are reading my log for the first time. If you are new to this project please read the other thread first and comment here. Link is above. Now here is the latest update.
    --------------------------------------------------

Updated March 23 `06
    First I would like to thank Sheldog23 for hooking me up with some brushed aluminum vinyl. This was way faster and easier than trying to sand and get that brushed look on the psu.

Here are the pics. First the sheet of vinyl.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

finished the top piece
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All put together. I really like how this looks. Unless you look very closely you wont be able to tell the difference. Thanx again sheldon for the vinyl.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ------END UPDATE--------

Last edited: 23 Mar 2006
  10. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

There are some good ideas going into this mod. Looking forward to the updates.

11. modster

modster What's a Dremel?

umm... a noob question... how do you make the acrylic frosted?

12. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

You have some skills and balls to go modding a G5 case... i didn't as they are super $$ to replace if you mess up :/

Some really good stuff going on here.. i'll be watching this.

Good luck.

13. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

You can either sandblast, use sandpaper or if you want an intricate design like I do and don`t have a sandblaster; you make a viny stencil and use Krylon Matte Finish-1311. It gives it a frosted look without the trouble of sandpaper or owning a sandblaster.

14. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Hey,

This is an awesome log! Can you please keep your pics down to around 640x480 though, please? Otherwise the page is a nightmare for those with smaller screens or lower bandwidth!

Keep up the good work, and thanks!

Wil

15. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Yes will do. Sorry. :wallbash: Give me 15 minutes.

16. swazi

swazi What's a Dremel?

All SFF PC's - I love em as well. Unlike me you have the skills to execute! Lemme go vote real quick!

17. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Here is a quick look at what stage the case is at. I removed the tape and cleaned it up a bit. Still need a lot to do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see the side panel doesnt sit flush. I figured out why. The res is hitting the edge of the case. All I need to do is file a little of the edge of the res.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is where it is hitting.
    [​IMG]

More pics of the case.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finaaly here is a pic of the buttons that will go on the front. All four of them hopefully.
    [​IMG]

18. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Updated today. I put the case together to see how its coming and it was time to remove the tape anyways bc all the major fabrication is done with. It looks pretty awesome all cleaned up and those buttons look pretty awesome too.

19. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Here`s a glimpse of the wire management I`m going to do with this case. I`m going to create sort of a Golden gate bridge look from blue acrylic and wire. There are two versions. One with two acrylic pieces and one. More than likely I will use the two piece version so that I can keep the wires taught by moving the acrylic pieces farther apart. Then I will run the silver braided wire down the side of the duct. Here is a pic of the duct system that will be created to keep the rad internal but vent the hot air outside.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

This is a great project - I have voted for it in the compo too!