1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Tablet recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Big Elf, 10 Aug 2014.

1. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I'm thinking of buying a Tablet and don't know a great deal about them and have never used one. The main use will be for reading newspapers. but will probably also be used for occasional browsing and watching films.

I have recently been diagnosed with an allergy to Colophonium which appears to be an ingredient in just about everything but, specifically as it affects me, in printing inks. If I handle a newspaper I have a severe reaction.

I also have problems with my eyesight and am virtually blind in one eye and the other is suffering from macular degeneration so because of this I need a large and good quality screen.

I only need Wi-Fi and would either want about 32GB storage capacity or preferably the option to increase it with a memory card.

At the moment I'm open minded about cost and biased towards Android.

What would you recommend?

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Last edited: 10 Aug 2014
  3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 great tablet on the downside Samsung do love to bung a load of apps on their products.

I have heard good things of the Tesco Hudl also.

4. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

I have a nexus 7 first version and it is a great tab

5. Big Elf

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm ruling out screen sizes under around 9" at the moment. Although I had initially considered the Hudl they only do it in the 7" size. I've just realised that The Nexus also comes with a 10" screen so I'll check that out.

Presumably you can un-install a lot of the unwanted Samsung Apps?

Edit: Ruled out the Nexus as it has no expandable storage.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2014
  6. Teelzebub

The Nexus 10 is a great bit of kit it's unlikely you'll be able to get rid of a lot of the crap that comes with tbh the 7 has it too and I don't find it a problem but the price of the 10 is a bit steep atm

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I just created a folder and dumped the unused apps in there. Out of sight out of mind.

8. Big Elf

I've now read a few reviews and it looks like the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 is a serious contender and is around £400. It's sold by John Lewis so I may be able to try one out at my local Waitrose.

Has anyone got this particular tablet?

9. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I have the Sony Xperia z tablet. Its fast, easy to use and the battery life is great except when whatching videos, then it only lasts a few hours. it also takes a while to charge. The screen is 1920x1200, and it never gets hot - which is a negative i heard about other tablets.

10. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I would suggest making sure to get a tablet that uses either IPS or OLED display tech. and at least 1080 resolution. This should make it much easier for you to read. The NEXUS tablets are a great option. I would not suggest any of the "cheaper" tablets for you as they tend to save money on the display quality.

Hope that helps :)

11. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Sorry, but you wont be able to try at your local Waitrose, There's only one store (That i'm aware off) that sells home electrical's and that's Salisbury. It is however possible your local store is setup for JL Click & Collect.

The Nexus 8 is due to arrive sometime in the next few months.

Sam

12. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

On the latest update for my Nexus 10 it's possible to disable any of built in apps if you so wish, via the settings menu.

Not sure precisely how much of them has gone, but they're certainly off the menu and not being updated.

13. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I have a 1st gen nexus 7 and I love it, I only have the 16gb model but don't find that I am lacking any storage, or rather I don't find myself wanting more.

I am mulling over the idea of a lenovo yoga 2 or yoga 2 pro. I don't know if this would be worth thinking about for you perhaps, the multi form factor appears to be incredibly versatile and cover all options, or whether there would be a similar item that would be suitable.

I find the nexus is great for consuming content.

14. Big Elf

That's a pity, they must have changed it recently as they used to stock Electrical stuff.

15. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Like i said, Salisbury is a Waitrose@Home store, and is the only one i'm aware off, I do know there are more, i just don't know which. I sincerely hope yours is one of them.

Sam

16. Teelzebub

The Nexus 8 is only 8.3" screen and with his poor eyesight he's already said he needs a 10"

17. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

There are 6.

18. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

I have a yoga 11s (11" screen). It's great. I would recommend it over Samsung stuff. John Lewis done mine for £550 I think, it's an i3 but handles everything I've thrown at it (including the golf right now over sky go via a hdmi cable).

Android wise I have a nexus 7 and it is very good. I would seek a hands on try of the 10" version as you're looking at something over 9". Just to make sure it suits your needs.

Big Elf likes this.
  19. Big Elf

The Yoga looks really good but that's one my wife would have to try as well. An annual subscription to the Telegraph cost around £400 after discounts so we can't justify buying a paper copy as well so she'll also be using it. She might struggle a bit with the weight of that as it looks like the keyboard isn't detachable.

20. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

ipad air, 100%

just read any review, no android tablet can touch the ipad