1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia's G70 runs cooler

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 9 May 2005.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

call me mr silly, as most people do, but im still not impressed with this cooler.

look at it.

[​IMG]

wouldnt it be oh so shiny if nvidia pumped the hot air out of the back of the pc (like the arctic cooler stylee) rather than back into the "cold zone" in the pc? im assuming that the gfx card will be on the lower half of the mobo, thus in the bottom of the pc, and expelling its hot air into the cold air thats going to cool our processor? looks like its gonna be blowing towards the front of the pc too, disturbing the airflow quite a lot, and on my mobo (i just checked) thats gonna make a pretty effective baffle stopping good airflow to my processor.

dont get me wrong, i like to see companies taking heat and noise into account when making new products, but somehow this strikes me as it could have been better thought out.

<defence>
    ok, nvidia fanboys, go ahead and rip me to shreds now. this is my 2cents, and thats all, its not flame-bait, just what i thought when i looked at it.
    </defence>

<edit>

omg. after reading my post, i just realised something. a year ago i would have been all "omgwtfkthxplz!!"£"!£!!oneone (insert a dozen smileys)" at the thought of nvidia releaseing a new card. now, after a year of BT, all i can think is "im gonna have to redisign the case to cope with the airflow on that to get adequate cooling and silence in a custom case".

BT, what have you done to me! lol.

i need to go lie down
    </edit>

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah as far as airflow goes, it's very poorly designed. I would assume there was some legitimate reason they designed it how they did, but it was stupid if you ask me. However if the Ultra's are anything like the GTs, the heatpipe bit only goes with the ram, which is just silly. The actual core heatsink is surprisingly small. But I've never ripped open an Ultra to see if it's the same there...

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

the Ultra is similar but the heatsink for the core is copper. I think the air is directed that way in order to cool the power regs that get very hot at the front end of the board (under the strip heatsink).

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea, that's the only problem with arctic coolers is that they dont cool the power reg heatsink strip, so if you've got poor airflow over your card they tend to end up almost glowing :/

6. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

The basic problem is the way a graphics card is mounted, It should be mounted verticly with the soccets on a backing plate so that it dosen't obstruct airflow as much. But that would need a total regesine of system chassies. :sigh:

7. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

if it generates less heat it should be able to OC more so that pretty cool i cante wate till they come out hopefully at least by late july

Tags: Add Tags