1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News iPhone 4S announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Oct 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. coolius

coolius What's a Dremel?

Well done Apple, everybody waited a year and a half for you to update the CPU and Camera to the same level as the 6 month old Galaxy S2.

I'm looking forward to next week's announcement of the new Nexus Prime, dual-core 1.5GHz and a 4.6" 1280x720 screen!

And early next year Android will have quad-cores! Apple are really lagging behind with these 1+ year iterations.

3. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

The S stands for Sucker(s).

;)

The_Beast likes this.
  4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

so iPhone 4S is a gaming device?? in the gaming section?

already a few Android fans. late update, minor update etc. wonder how many pages this thread will be filled with negativity.

5. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

underwhelming - but I suspect thats because the proper version didnt work and they had to get something out

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

7. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Has anyone seen the pricing?

Non contract starts at $399 US and £499 UK?!? Have they gone the wrong way on currency conversion or something?..

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Well, actually i wonder what right will now iOS users have to talk about fragmentation. Let's see what we have now (what you can buy shops now or soon):
    1) iPhone 3GS - 600MHz single core CPU, 256MB RAM, 480x320
    2) iPhone 4 - 800MHz single core CPU, 512MB RAM, 960x640
    3) iPhone 4S - 1GHz dual core CPU, ?MB RAM, 960x640
    4) iPad - 1GHz single core CPU, 256MB RAM, 1024x768
    5) iPad 2 - 1GHz dual core CPU, 512MB RAM, 1024x768
    6) iPod Touch 4th gen - 800MHz single core CPU, 256MB RAM, 960x640.

Considering you can still buy iPad 1, Apple has now 6 different devices on sale with totally different CPU speed (3GS comparable to first Motorola Milestone/Droid, 4S comparable to HTC Sensation), different display resolutions, different amount of RAM.

So, let's talk about that "fragmentation" again. Considering 97,5% of Android users now run Android 2.1 or higher, and the differences between different versions are relatively small from developers standpoint, the biggest one being the tablet support in Honeycomb. But even if we remove tablet users as part of fragmentation, 95,7% of Android users run Android 2.1-2.3. I am pretty sure that similar or higher percentage of users were left behind with older iPhone or iPod Touch models which were left behind at iOS3 with no upgrade to iOS4.

In the end, on hardware area iOS devices are fragmented in same way as Android devices, and because there are already devices left behind in iOS area as well, then iOS is at same software fragmentation level as Android too.

@Tibby: $399 is a 2 year contract pricing for 64GB model. Actually, there is no no-contract pricing in US AFAIK. Plus don't forget - US price NEVER includes sales tax (=VAT).

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

still, you tried really hard, well done. :thumb:

even with your system, there are 6 iOS devices (tablet + phones) vs how many Android phones?? how many resolutions? how many different CPU architecture?

10. coolius

coolius What's a Dremel?

lol

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

It's tagged as hardware too, but given that we actually cover iPhone games more than we analyse iPhone hardware...

12. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I'll be buying this. See you at the apple store lads.

13. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Let's see. If we ignore the chinese lowend money-stealer iPhone KIRF devices, what you end up are two platforms - ARM Cortex A8 and A9 CPU from three manufacturers - Qualcomm, TI and Samsung. Sure, the GPU have differences, that is why do you have OpenGL ES, right ? And i don't see game developers having issues with the GPU, what they have issue is the huge difference between lowend segment (320x240, 500MHz) and highend segment (800x480, dualcore 1.2GHz). And same issue is now present in iOS as well - lowend (480x320, 600MHz) vs highend (960x640, dualcore 1GHz).

Is not the game they presented on keynote just a good example of fragmentation ? That game will be iPhone 4S only, and if not then only at some sacrifice, with optimized versions for older devices.

If this is not the fragmentation itself, then i don't know what. This is what iPhone users talked about when there was a need to create a special version of games for lowend phones like HTC Wildfire, but it won't be an issue when they will have to do it for 4S vs the rest ? :wallbash:

14. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I had hoped for so much more. At the end of the day, it IS a better phone than the 4, and WILL sell, it's just a shame it isn't a better still. But then that is Apple's very good (for them) marketing strategy, they keep dangling a golden carrot.

15. alastor

alastor Minimodder

My contract minimum term ends this week and I would have strongly considered upgrading my HTC Desire to an iPhone 5, but not the spec bump 4S that it's turned out to be.

Fingers crossed Orange are getting the Nexus Prime/Galaxy Nexus, nothing else is interesting me in the near future :blah:

16. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Haven't looked at those two, but the Desire S is a nice upgrade over the Desire. I prefer it to my mates HTC Sensation.

17. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

Same. Though I might consider a Note just to say I have one.

18. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Getting this sadly...because i skipped the iPhone 4 in the first place.

19. Burdman27911

Burdman27911 What's a Dremel?

Several orders of magnitudes? Last I checked, a single order of magnitude was 10x... and the iPhone 4S is quoted as 7x.

(FYI, it uses the same processor as the iPad2)

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Went from 3Gs to Desire skipping the 4, my contract ended last week, I can't see me returning to Apple for the 4s.

Nothing new, nothing innovative, just rehashed & tweaked stuff that's already out there, nice camera though by the looks of it

Tags: Add Tags