1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Infested Planet Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 26 Jul 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

I finished this article, thinking "Hey, this seems worth a shot!". Then swung on to the game's website, hit the Buy button, and it's £12. For a one-man indie game in beta. Maybe I've been spoilt by the top-notch complete titles I've picked up from other indie devs at closer to half the price of this, but I can't help feeling it's a little steep for a pre-purchase that I'm essentially testing out, even with the 25% discount applied - at full release, it'll be roughly £16 (or approx 18EUR/$25). To put that into context, at £12, it's a couple of quid less than Counterstrike:Source on Steam. At £16, a couple of quid less than a Steam version of Bad Company 2, and abotu a quid more than a copy of Left 4 Dead 2 (none of which are on sale, btw). Braid, another classic indie game, is about half the price of Infested Planet, and that thing came with a $200,000 budget!

I know someone will use the "But Minecraft sold like hot-cakes at that sort of price!" argument about this at some point, but:
    1) That game has a huge multiplayer factor, and servers set up worldwide, complete with communities.
    2) I wasn't interested in Minecraft either.

Maybe I'll change my mind, but I can't help feeling that the price of indie games is going to be a hot topic, both now, and into the future. And when the triple-A titles are costing the same as the indies, I've got to stick with the known quantities, I'm afraid.

3. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Looks good I like the fact it will be on the Mac as well.

£12 isn't that bad, it's less than 4 pints of Beer in the UK.

So give your liver a break and give it a go, I mean its £12 at the end of the day, won't break the bank unless your skint student.

Kimbie

4. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Whats with all the previews on bit-tech lately? It'd be nice to see more reviews of finished games.

This appears to be a run of the mill RTS, with very little to differentiate it from any other, so what warrents the preview of it?

Don't get me wrong I like RTS' and I'll proberbly look at getting it, however 12 quid is quite steep and 16 quid is way too much. Frozen Synapse, for example, was about 15 quid and included 2 copies of the game! So I'd love to know what makes this worth more than other indie games out there.

5. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Like the otehr have said, £12 for a preorder beta is too high. It looks a good game, but i wouldnt pay that much for it. Also, is this a case of preorder to play the alpha/beta but find they keep on getting distracted and never get around to making the full game, always testing out new things but never perfecting them?

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

It's preview season - not many releases out this month. If you have other indie games you'd like us to look at, let us know.

7. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Samuel Smith's pubs do a good pint for about £1.55, could get 7 and a half pints for that money :p

Tags: Add Tags